mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Program change from extern controller in multi mode"

Posted on: May 22, 2009 @ 04:41 PM
olafhaugan
Total Posts:  4
Joined  12-09-2008

Hello

I am using a Clavia NordStage Compact (NS) to control my new Motif-Rack XS. (I bought this rack so I could have a light rig when I don’t have the opportunity to bring my S90ES)

On this keyboard (NS) it is a dedicated function named “extern section”. I use this to control volume and prog change. This works fine on my korg microX and in voice mode on the XS, but in the multi mode this prog change is changing the parts in the multi and don’t the whole multi prog.

How can I set up the xs so it changing between each program and don’t just the voices in each part

Please forgive me for my bad English

Regards from Norway

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2009 @ 02:09 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You must send the Motif-Rack XS both a BANK SELECT command and a PROGRAM CHANGE command.

When you are in MULTI mode, the Motif-Rack XS is set to receive on 16 MIDI channels (one for each of the 16 PARTS)… however, if you want to change the MULTI - so that it recalls all settings, you must send the following MSB/LSB (Bank Select command)

MSB = 63
LSB = 68

Followed by a Program Change 000-127 (for MULTIS 001 - 128)
When the Motif-Rack XS receives the 063/068 (MSB/LSB) Bank Select command, it knows to change the entire MULTI.

This functionality requires the version update V1.02

Confirm the current Firmware version:
Turn on the MOTIF-RACK XS.
Enter DEMO mode by pressing both [EDIT] + [UTILITY].
Press [AUDITION] hold for more than 2 seconds, then current version is shown on display.
“Firmware Version 1.xx.x”

Latest firmware version of the Motif-Rack Operating System (OS) is 1.02.1

You can download this from
Motif-Rack XS OS Updater page

If you have questions about how to install it, please contact your local Yamaha distributor… It is a large MIDI file and the update takes about 2 hours and 35 minutes to play it…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2009 @ 09:00 AM
olafhaugan
Total Posts:  4
Joined  12-09-2008

Thank you for answering!

I now regret that I bought this. I should have bought an old motif rack instead, this goes perfect whit the NordStages extern part. I really don’t need the new functionality in the XS if this means that it is harder to use. (I don’t even know if it is possible to do this with the extern part on the NordStage)

I thought that a newer model was easier to use than an old model, but it isn’t so. This is of course a basic operation, which should have been an option/switch on the rack so the studio users could send on 16 separate channels and the live users like me could have an easy setup.

Cheers from a Norwegian troll!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2009 @ 10:24 AM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Bank MSB and LSB is pretty standard for changing sounds on an external module, or even on a keyboard operated from an external device. A good way to think about this is that the MSB selects the sound bank (A, B, C, etc) while LSB selects the individual voice or selection within that bank (1, 2, 3, etc). Korg is the same way, as I imagine most are. The Rack ES would be the same.

The software update would be required if you do not have the latest version noted because this MSB/LSB feature for multi selection was overlooked in the original software load. If the Nord cannot address both, then this is your problem.

If you have never used a rack type product before, they do take some getting used to as the navigation strategy is different that what you’d use on a keyboard that has all the buttons right there in front of you.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2009 @ 01:10 PM
kims
Total Posts:  21
Joined  04-15-2009
olafhaugan - 22 May 2009 04:41 PM

Hello

I am using a Clavia NordStage Compact (NS) to control my new Motif-Rack XS. (I bought this rack so I could have a light rig when I don’t have the opportunity to bring my S90ES)

I went through a similar situation with regards to patch change in multi mode.
I wanted to keep a lightweight/portable rig and I was using a Nord Electro2 as my controller.

To solve the problem, I bought a novation Remote Zero, and programmed the ‘record’ button to send the MSB = 63, LSB = 68 command.  It seems you only have to send it once and then after that any program change message will change the whole multi.

So after setting up the live rig, I would press the record button once, then all the other buttons were patch changes for the multis (plus all the knobs and sliders for anything you want).

Unfortunately for me, good for Yamaha, is that I really needed the sampling option.  So ended up buying an XS6.  So now my live rig is the XS6 on top of a NE2 - can’t give up those waterfall keys :).

I trigger XS6 piano sounds with the NE2, and trigger the NE2 organ sounds with the XS6 :).

Kim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2016 @ 11:40 PM
Garrison
Total Posts:  50
Joined  12-03-2015

Bad_MIster

When you are in MULTI mode, the Motif-Rack XS is set to receive on 16 MIDI channels (one for each of the 16 PARTS)… however, if you want to change the MULTI - so that it recalls all settings, you must send the following MSB/LSB (Bank Select command)

MSB = 63
LSB = 68

Followed by a Program Change 000-127 (for MULTIS 001 - 128)
When the Motif-Rack XS receives the 063/068 (MSB/LSB) Bank Select command, it knows to change the entire MULTI.

1.  Where is the MSB =63 and the LSB = 68 on the Motif-Rack XS

2.  Additionally, I cannot seem to locate where to check/change Program Change.

3.  Also, I’m using John Melas’ Editor.
I am having trouble storing Muti’s to the Rack from his editor.
He wrote this to me:
“Please make sure that the Rack accepts program change commands: this a setting somewhere in the Utility menu!”

I can’t seem to find this in the Utility Menu.

Can you help?
Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2016 @ 10:19 PM
PatAzz
Total Posts:  57
Joined  01-25-2011

For #1: The MSB and LSB are MIDI messages. They don’t appear on the Motif Rack. You need to send them through some other mechanism (I use a Behringer BCN controller, but some master keyboards can do it as well) with the program change.

For #2, I’m not certain what you mean?

for #3, Page 100 of the manual. Search for “Prg Change Sw” and I think you’ll get the right info.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2016 @ 10:35 PM
Garrison
Total Posts:  50
Joined  12-03-2015

Thank you,
I’ll work on what you suggested.

[ Ignore ]