mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I need to insert an effect to a single midi track"

Posted on: February 25, 2016 @ 05:35 AM
paolo.contribunale@gmail.com
Total Posts:  6
Joined  02-25-2016

Hi everyone,

I’m Paolo from Italy.
I’m a newbie Cubase User (i come from Reaper) and i have this problem:

I record three different midi tracks using the Moxf VST editor with my Moxf8 (drum track, guitar track e synth track). Now i would like to process the output sounds of the drum track, for example, in an external plugin effects. I don’t understand how to do it and to set the sends in cubase AI8.
I try to do some searches in internet but nothing. Maybe i’m doing something wrong in the research.
Could you please help me?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2016 @ 12:27 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Paolo,

You cannot process a MIDI track, only an audio track. A MIDI track has no sends.

When using the VST editor, you should have 16 MIDI tracks (one per part) and a stereo audio track to record the sound from the MOXF.

You’ll need to record each part separately (solo the part) because the audio coming over USB is the same as the L&R;outputs of the MOXF. All 16 parts will be recorded to the track unless you solo the one you do want to record.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2016 @ 02:40 PM
Joined  02-25-2016

Thanks for the answer.
Well, i think i start to understand. I create a midi track and i have the output track Moxf6/MoFx8 Vst 01 where i have the sound and i put an effect in insert. Now how can i record the output?

Sorry, but’m not be able to record.
;-(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2016 @ 04:18 PM
KostasT
Total Posts:  90
Joined  04-06-2013

The situation is a little bit different when it comes to the MOXF VST Editor and that’s the power of it. When using MOXF VST Editor it IS possible to use insert effects without converting the MIDI tracks to audio tracks. First of all, you should have in mind that there are 2 stereo audio outputs within the USB audio interface of MOXF, namely USB1/2 and USB3/4. So, it is better to enable both of them if you want separate insert effects at least in those two audio outputs. Choose 2StereoRec mode in MOXF and enable both audio outputs in MOXF VST editor. Then you can send your drum track to USB 1/2 and the rest of your tracks to USB 3/4. I assume you are in Performance or Song mode. Then, you CAN use different audio insert effects to those two audio tracks. There are at least three ways of doing it: a) in the MOXF VST editor group folder in Cubase you can see the two separate audio tracks. Put your insert effects there or b) in the mix console locate the two audio tracks of MOXF VST editor and put your insert effects there or c) put the insert effects directly in the midi tracks audio inserts tab. Have in mind that all the midi tracks that share the same audio outputs will inherit the same insert effects. So, with MOXF VST editor you can have two different groups of insert effects at maximum. If you want more, then you have to convert the midi tracks to separate audio tracks and then use the insert effects to the audio tracks (the midi tracks should be muted). There are some tutorials for all the above (check Yamahasynth blog for MOXF or MOX, the procedure is practically the same, I think there are some step by step tutorials there regarding the use of the MOXF VST editor by Bad_Mister or maybe you can find something in this forum also).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2016 @ 12:17 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Meatballfulton is absolutely correct. MIDI is data, and editors or not you cannot add audio effects to MIDI...period. What you can do is add an effect to the audio outputs of a VSTi or somewhere in the audio chain of an external instrument, but you still are not adding them to MIDI. It’s important to understand that basic principle. Personally, I think you will find it much easier to work with your audio tracks in AI rather than fiddling with workstation outputs etc., but there certainly are circumstances where you may wish to do that. If you learn to use MIDI tracks, VSTi(s) and audio tracks in AI first, then you can progress to tapping into the audio chain of your workstation or external synths. Learn to walk...then run.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2016 @ 05:44 AM
Joined  02-25-2016

Thank you very much!
I use vst effects primarly in my creative process. I want compose in midi and listen the output processed in a vst. When i’ll found a sound that’s good for me, i’ll record it as an audio track. My main problem is that i’m getting used VST Synth (Absynth) with Reaper and the recording process of a VST instrument i think it’s very different.

So, i’ll try to record a midi track and to connect the 2 channel output of the moxf to my soundcard and record the audio track too (i’ll insert the efx on it). I’m doing it wrong?

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2016 @ 05:12 AM
KostasT
Total Posts:  90
Joined  04-06-2013

First of all, no one claimed that MIDI is not data and that you can add audio insert effects directly to midi data. Please, read the question and the answer carefully before jumping to assumptions. The question was how to insert audio effects to the OUTPUT of the midi tracks while using the MOXF VST editor. And the answer is that it IS possible to do that, without the need of converting the midi tracks to audio tracks because of the features that MOXF VST editor offers.

You can find some details about MOXF VST editor setup in this post:
https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=404:moxf6-moxf8-editor-vst&Itemid=102
Use this method if: a) your computer can handle the latency of real time audio effects processing b) you are limited to two groups of audio insert effects due to MOXF hardware limitation of two USB stereo audio output buses and c) you want to experiment with different sounds and at the same time you want to hear in real time the results of using audio effects, either to your separate tracks or to your master audio output.

Otherwise, go through the classic method of recording your music as separate audio tracks. In this case this article might be helpful:
https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=310:moxf6-moxf8-basic-audio-recording&Itemid=102
but instead of yourself playing, arm an audio track and record the MOXF output while playing the desired midi tracks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2016 @ 10:36 AM
Joined  02-25-2016

Great! Thank you very much again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2016 @ 12:32 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002
KostasT - 07 March 2016 05:12 AM

First of all, no one claimed that MIDI is not data and that you can add audio insert effects directly to midi data. Please, read the question and the answer carefully before jumping to assumptions.

Kostas T, neither of the respondents above require direction from you as to how to interpret or respond to the OP’s question, so it would be appreciated if you would confine your remarks to answering the question and refrain from attempts to guide others and comment on their approach. Thank you.

[ Ignore ]