mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS7 Keyboard glitching badly"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 02:02 AM
DaveKush
Total Posts:  29
Joined  01-30-2016

OK 5pinDIN, I have the whole keybed out. What is the general idea for cleaning these interconnects? Just pull each of the cables out and clean them up with soap and water?

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 02:57 AM
DaveKush
Joined  01-30-2016

Oh this is getting fun. Just discovered that EMKS-FD talks some variant of I2C back to the processor. Maybe the third pin (IC) is an interrupt pin? I’m so tempted to plug this into my logic analyzer and see what kind of pattern comes out when I play the notes...stay on target…

OK, so I definitely found a pattern with the 3 black keys played (F#, G#, A#) and then throw in the B and this pattern glitches all over the keyboard, except at the lowest octave.

I’m scared to pull out those plastic interconnect cables for fear of not being able to push it back in. The pins on the plastic receivers look very shiny, but I can’t see what the substrate on the plastic cable looks like as it’s seated into the connector too deep. Should I yank one out?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 12:50 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Based on your most recent post, I’d leave the keybed interconnects alone. The determination that the lowest octave doesn’t exhibit a problem while the rest do is interesting, since it’s the furthest from connection to the processor.

I mapped the offending keys to key lines and their processor ports, taken from page 248 of the SM:

//                         HD6433693 (IC5)
//     Keys     Key Line   Pin    Port
//  ----------  --------   ---  ---------
//     F#0        BK00      23  P10/TMOW
//  G#0/A#0/B0    BK01      24  P11
//     F#1        BK02      25  P12
//  G#1/A#1/B1    BK03      28  P74/TMRIV
//     F#2        BK04      29  P75/TMCIV
//  G#2/A#2/B2    BK05      38  P82/FTIOB
//     F#3        BK06      39  P83/FTIOC
//  G#3/A#3/B3    BK07      40  P84/FTIOD
//     F#4        BK08      41  P85
//  G#4/A#4/B4    BK09      42  P86
//     F#5        BK10      43  P87
//  G#5/A#5/B5    BK11      52  P15/IRQ1
//     F#6        BK12      53  P16/IRQ2
//     G5         BK13      54  P17/IRQ3/TRGV
//  
//    G/C#        MK10      13  P50/WKP0 \
//    G#/D        MK11      14  P51/WKP1  \
//    A/D#        MK12      19  P52/WKP2   \ First Closure
//    A#/E        MK13      20  P53/WKP3   /
//    B/F         MK14      21  P54/WKP4  /
//    C/F#        MK15      22  P55/WKP5 /
//  
//    G/C#        MK20      62  PB0/AN0 \
//    G#/D        MK21      62  PB1/AN1  \
//    A/D#        MK22      62  PB2/AN2   \ Second Closure
//    A#/E        MK23      62  PB3/AN3   /
//    B/F         MK24      62  PB4/AN7  /
//    C/F#        MK25      62  PB5/AN6 /
//  
//  Each key position has two key contacts. Key velocity is
//  determined by the time from "First Closure" to "Second Closure".

I don’t see an obvious commonality related to the above. Keys that are working correctly use the same lines and ports.

Here’s the datasheet for the HD6433693 processor:
http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/download_datasheet.php?id=365273∂-number=HD6433693

You might want to check Vcc for IC5 - make sure the +5V is stable, and use a scope to verify it’s relatively clean.

Please let us know if you determine what’s causing the problem.

Note:
Anyone who doesn’t understand the above should probably ignore it, and certainly leave servicing of their Motif to someone who is qualified.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 07:50 PM
DaveKush
Joined  01-30-2016

Thanks 5PinDIN, I’ll investigate that chip and it’s characteristics at the power rail.

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2016 @ 12:38 AM
DaveKush
Joined  01-30-2016

Any idea what the “gain” and “offset” trim pots do on that board? There is only a refdes on them in the SM with no detail as to what they do.

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2016 @ 10:32 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DaveKush - 05 February 2016 12:38 AM

Any idea what the “gain” and “offset” trim pots do on that board? There is only a refdes on them in the SM with no detail as to what they do.

Dave

They’re adjustments for After Touch operation. The AT sensor is connected as a feedback element from pin 1 to pin 2 of IC2 (in parallel with R13 and C23).

Most problems with the keybed have revolved around one or more random keys not working correctly, typically caused by corrosion if the Motif had been in a shore area.
http://www.google.com/search?q=corrosion+5pindin+site:www.motifator.com
You might look at those threads.

However…
Your individual keys apparently are responding correctly, but with specific groupings in most octaves causing the velocity to maximize, that would seem to be a processing problem. Since I’ve never experienced that particular symptom, I’m not sure what the next step is to pin down the specific cause.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2016 @ 08:13 PM
DaveKush
Joined  01-30-2016

OK, thanks! It’s going on the logic analyzer tonight. I just can’t resist the urge to see what a “good” key pattern looks like vs. my glitchy ones and I think that will tell us if HD6433693 isn’t happy.

I’ll post a pic or two once I get it all hooked up and running.

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2016 @ 01:25 AM
DaveKush
Joined  01-30-2016

Well, after a few hours at the LA, I think I’ve got a rough idea of how the keyboard encoding works over I2C. Essentially, a “light” keypress is made up of 5 bytes and a “hard” keypress is made up of 40 bytes, which I’m too tired to figure out, but it likely includes more info on the keypress speed as well as the after-touch.

Those 5 bytes, on the “light” keypress consist of the device I2C address for the processor, in this case address 16, a space, another 8-bit number that hovers in the 150’s and I’m guessing is a start timer value for switch 1, 8 bits representing the key, and a final 8 bits representing what I’m guessing is the switch 2 close timing. For the switch one and switch two timing, if I do an “average” keypress, these two numbers, byte 1 and byte 4 converge toward equality somewhere in the 130’s to 150’s.

When I do a keypress for the lowest octave F#,G#,A#, I get 15 bytes all neat and tidy in the format described above. But when I play this same key combination on the glitchy octave, I get a big the first 15 bytes, but then a massive string of bytes after it of what looks like random garbage or random key presses.

In all of this, one thing I have noticed is that the glitchy symptom actually goes away somewhat as the keyboard remains powered. So, maybe a sign of heat mortality. I suppose I could blow cold air on the HD6433693 and observe the results, but that’s just getting a bit too crazy.

For this issue, I think I’ve taken it far enough to know that it appears that this PCB is the culprit. So, the million dollar question is: Can I buy one of these PCB’s somewhere and if so, does anyone know where?

Included is a pic of the logic analyzer cable hooked up to the connector as well as a screen capture of the A# key for posterity sake.

Thanks guys,
Dave

Image Attachments
A#.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2016 @ 01:52 AM
DaveKush
Joined  01-30-2016

Pic 2

Image Attachments
H Key.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2016 @ 01:54 AM
DaveKush
Joined  01-30-2016

pic 3

Image Attachments
20160205_182944.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2016 @ 03:04 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DaveKush - 06 February 2016 01:25 AM

[...]For this issue, I think I’ve taken it far enough to know that it appears that this PCB is the culprit. So, the million dollar question is: Can I buy one of these PCB’s somewhere and if so, does anyone know where?[...]

As far as I know, the EMKS-FD board is attached to the MKH-D, and not sold separately.

//  Part #     Description                     Qty   Price
//  WD806100   CIRCUIT BOARD MKH-D MOTIF XS7   1     163.08

Shipping is additional.

https://www.yamaha24x7.com/YamahaOMS/EasyOrder/QuickOrder.aspx

Yamaha Corporation of America
6600 Orangethorpe Ave.
Buena Park, CA 90620
1-714-522-9011

---------------------

I’ve never dealt with this company…
http://www.partsimple.com/wd806100-yam-n-13.html
...but they appear to have the part for $102.91 plus shipping.
It’s apparently special order, and non-returnable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2016 @ 10:35 PM
DaveKush
Joined  01-30-2016

Hi 5pinDIN, just got my brand new Yamaha MKH-D PCB and installed it and to my dismay, the problem is still there, actually seems a bit worse now.

So...I paid $1400 for the XS, just put another $200 into it plus a bunch of hours in debug and such and it’s still bricked. Am I past the point of no return? Any ideas on where to go from here?

Sure appreciate all of your help!

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2016 @ 10:50 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I can appreciate your dismay. As I mentioned previously, I’ve never experienced the problem you’re having.

Can you be more specific about “a bit worse now”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2016 @ 07:49 PM
DaveKush
Joined  01-30-2016

Well, maybe it’s just me. I was hitting random keys together and chords and it was glitching all over. I don’t remember it doing that before. With the original MKH-D, it seemed like it was specific to that pattern of keys I mentioned before.

Something I hadn’t thought of before was if the garbage I was seeing on the I2C bus was coming from the processor, not the keyboard. This is purely speculation, but I’m just wondering if the I2C receiver at the processor is not getting a solid 1 or 0 and then nack-ing back to the keyboard controller, causing a re-send or even a bunch of bus collisions. Just a thought.

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2016 @ 11:29 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DaveKush - 12 February 2016 07:49 PM

Well, maybe it’s just me. I was hitting random keys together and chords and it was glitching all over. I don’t remember it doing that before. With the original MKH-D, it seemed like it was specific to that pattern of keys I mentioned before.

For the symptom to change like that with a replacement of the MKH-D/EMKS-FD seems strange. If the original was good, and the replacement is also good, then it would seem that the symptom would remain the same.

DaveKush -

Something I hadn’t thought of before was if the garbage I was seeing on the I2C bus was coming from the processor, not the keyboard.

The I²C receiver is, of course, looking at data from more than just the keyboard, such as the panel buttons and data dial, and foot controllers. If you rapidly spin the data dial, or operate a volume pedal rapidly, does there seem to be a problem?

DaveKush -

This is purely speculation, but I’m just wondering if the I2C receiver at the processor is not getting a solid 1 or 0 and then nack-ing back to the keyboard controller, causing a re-send or even a bunch of bus collisions.

Obviously if 1’s or 0’s aren’t solid, there could be a few possible causes. Anything on the bus might be leaky, a bad ground for the MKH-D/EMKS-FD could cause 0’s from the keyboard to be insufficiently low, etc. You could look at the 1.5k pullups for SDA and SCL (and the 10k for Initial Clear) on the DM board (R621/622/623 - see attachment, which is taken from page 244 of the SM) as a possible cause if 1’s aren’t high enough.

While I’ve got a fairly well equipped test bench, a logic analyzer isn’t part of the mix, so you’ve got an advantage which I hope will help you find the problem.

Image Attachments
XS I2C pullups.gif
  [ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New Collection of 384 free voices for Motif XS
Next Topic:

Put track to arpeggio -- help ››