mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Setting up OMB"

Posted on: February 10, 2016 @ 08:52 AM
e.laforge
Total Posts:  41
Joined  02-03-2016

I bought an ES to replace my old Motif.
I actually thought that I would be able to accompany myself using the arpeggio feature of the ES - been hoping it will function like the later models. but it doesn’t.

Searching for a solution I found OMB. now this piece of software “emulates” an arranger. I found some nice style files from the PSR to load in. I also set up the ES to receive and send MIDI to OMB via USB.

I loaded the cakewalk .ins file for the ES to OMB so it will reach the correct voices in the GM bank. afterwards, I set up an empty song which has drums on channel 10, and the rest are being altered by OMB once a style is loaded.

I have a few problems with it -

1. when I press the chords on the low part of the keyboard (that is to change the chord while playing a style) I also hear one of the GM sounds from the style playing the same chord. is there any way to prevent that? I mean having the keyboard on my ES not to make any sound below B4 for example, and only send those chord changes to OMB?

2. playing the lead sound in the higher octaves will play two sounds. one sound from the specific channel I’m on through mixing mode (it could be the general piano), and the other is the GM lead chosen by OMB. how can I correct that?

3. is there any way to have the keyboard play OMB only below B4, and from C5 and above - only the Motif?

4. do you have any other tips or tricks to get OMB working in the best manner with the Motif ES?

Thank you very much for bearing with all my questions. It’s a great forum and I learn alot.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2016 @ 05:37 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
e.laforge - 10 February 2016 08:52 AM

I bought an ES to replace my old Motif.
I actually thought that I would be able to accompany myself using the arpeggio feature of the ES - been hoping it will function like the later models. but it doesn’t.

Searching for a solution I found OMB. now this piece of software “emulates” an arranger. I found some nice style files from the PSR to load in. I also set up the ES to receive and send MIDI to OMB via USB.

I presume the OMB you’re referring to is…
http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm
...and I was hoping someone familiar with it would post. Since nobody has, I’ll do my best to respond to your issues, although I don’t personally have experience with OMB.

e.laforge -

I loaded the cakewalk .ins file for the ES to OMB so it will reach the correct voices in the GM bank. afterwards, I set up an empty song which has drums on channel 10, and the rest are being altered by OMB once a style is loaded.

I have a few problems with it -

1. when I press the chords on the low part of the keyboard (that is to change the chord while playing a style) I also hear one of the GM sounds from the style playing the same chord. is there any way to prevent that? I mean having the keyboard on my ES not to make any sound below B4 for example, and only send those chord changes to OMB?

2. playing the lead sound in the higher octaves will play two sounds. one sound from the specific channel I’m on through mixing mode (it could be the general piano), and the other is the GM lead chosen by OMB. how can I correct that?

Have you tried turning Local Control off in Utility mode? See [SF2] SWITCH, LocalCtrl, on page 264 of the ES Owner’s Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2016 @ 10:02 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

I have OMB11 and used a lot previously while playing ES. It is nice piece of software since you could load .sty files from various Yamaha PSRs (there is also Yahoo forum for exchanging style files) including Tyros.
You should check OMB manual, since you could set various parameters including split points on keyboard, effect levels for particular channel, etc. As a start, you should initialize mix to GM while you are in song mode.
You have remind me that I didn’t check OMB with MOXF that I’m using these days more than ES. Although I’m using Karma software with MOXF, it is still interesting to set also OMB for some gigs.
I will try it next few days and post results.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 80’s synth sounds
Next Topic:

Need help setting up my yamaha studio gear ››