mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sequencing in the motif 6"

Posted on: February 11, 2016 @ 08:33 PM
Abztract
Total Posts:  12
Joined  02-01-2016

I recently bought a motif 6 on the used market and I’m loving it so far. Today I started trying to get into using the sequencer and hit a stumbling block. No matter which sound I load, the Piano plays as well as the sound I choose. I cant seem to remove it for love nor money. Can someone just give me the basic steps to start recording into the motif sequencer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2016 @ 11:49 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

On the Motif, Motif ES and MO synths the sequencer uses something called a Phrase Header that includes a pointer to the voice that was used when you recorded the phrase. If you try to change the voice later on, it seems to work until you reload the sequence and it reverts back to the original sound. 

If you put the track into record, select the new voice in the Mixing page and then press Stop it overwrites the Phrase Header with the new voice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2016 @ 08:41 AM
Abztract
Joined  02-01-2016
meatballfulton - 11 February 2016 11:49 PM

On the Motif, Motif ES and MO synths the sequencer uses something called a Phrase Header that includes a pointer to the voice that was used when you recorded the phrase. If you try to change the voice later on, it seems to work until you reload the sequence and it reverts back to the original sound. 

If you put the track into record, select the new voice in the Mixing page and then press Stop it overwrites the Phrase Header with the new voice.

Hi, thanks for responding. Thats not really what I mean, its not actually what is happening here. I didn’t even get to the stage of recording the phrase because when I load a sound, when I play the keys, that sound plays but the piano plays aswell. As though both sounds are loaded on to the keys at once. If possible could ypu (or anyone) just list the steps necessary to record into the sequencer. I normally do drums first so I loaded a drum kit, intending to just lay down a drum sequence on track 1 but as I say, the piano voice plays as well as the drum sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2016 @ 10:01 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Abztract - 12 February 2016 08:41 AM

[...] I normally do drums first so I loaded a drum kit, intending to just lay down a drum sequence on track 1 but as I say, the piano voice plays as well as the drum sounds.

I presume by “loaded” you mean that you selected a drum kit as a Voice for one of the Parts.

The following assumes that you’re using the Motif standalone (no connection via MIDI to other gear/computer)…

The default condition for a blank Song/Pattern is that each of the Parts, 1~16, is set to a corresponding Receive Channel. If two Parts are set to the same Receive Channel, what you’re experiencing can occur. See ReceiveCh on page 210 of the Motif Owner’s Manual, and verify that the Part being used for the drum kit isn’t sharing a Receive Channel with another Part.

-------------

If there’s a connection to external gear, then MIDI data routing there could change channel assignment. In that case, temporarily disconnect the other gear and see if the problem disappears.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2016 @ 03:44 PM
Abztract
Joined  02-01-2016
5pinDIN - 12 February 2016 10:01 AM
Abztract - 12 February 2016 08:41 AM

[...] I normally do drums first so I loaded a drum kit, intending to just lay down a drum sequence on track 1 but as I say, the piano voice plays as well as the drum sounds.

I presume by “loaded” you mean that you selected a drum kit as a Voice for one of the Parts.

The following assumes that you’re using the Motif standalone (no connection via MIDI to other gear/computer)…

The default condition for a blank Song/Pattern is that each of the Parts, 1~16, is set to a corresponding Receive Channel. If two Parts are set to the same Receive Channel, what you’re experiencing can occur. See ReceiveCh on page 210 of the Motif Owner’s Manual, and verify that the Part being used for the drum kit isn’t sharing a Receive Channel with another Part.

-------------

If there’s a connection to external gear, then MIDI data routing there could change channel assignment. In that case, temporarily disconnect the other gear and see if the problem disappears.

Thank you very much for that. It sounds like it could be the problem. I will try when I get home. Yes, I do mean I selected a drum kit for one of the parts. Its also not connected to anything external via midi. What I’m doing, based on just trying to feel my way around since the manual was a bit vague (it could be me of course but I digress) is as follows (if anyone notices a dumbass/noob step please point it out) is selecting ‘pattern’ in the sequencer section, then mixing, (beneath the numbers for each channel on the screen it says AP which I assume is acoustic piano. I dont know how to change this if its what I need to do) , press f4 for ‘voice, then with track 1 selected, I press category search and find the drum kit. When I play the notes the drum sounds can be heard but so can the piano…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2016 @ 06:33 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Abztract - 12 February 2016 03:44 PM

[...] When I play the notes the drum sounds can be heard but so can the piano…

Is that happening when the sequencer is not running? (That is, when you have not pressed the [â–º] button.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2016 @ 06:51 PM
Abztract
Joined  02-01-2016
5pinDIN - 12 February 2016 06:33 PM
Abztract - 12 February 2016 03:44 PM

[...] When I play the notes the drum sounds can be heard but so can the piano…

Is that happening when the sequencer is not running? (That is, when you have not pressed the [â–º] button.)

Yes, as soon as I select the drum kit, I play them and the piano sound is there with the drum hit sounds. Its as if I’ve layered the two sounds to play together on the same keys.... Did the steps I described sound right? Am I doing anything wrong as far as you can see? Its before I have pressed anything. No record, no play, nothing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2016 @ 07:56 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Layering should only occur if the Receive Channel for two (or more) Parts is the same. If you only selected a drum kit for one Part, and started with a blank Pattern, that normally wouldn’t happen. You might want to try again with a different blank Pattern, or check the Receive Channel assignments as I mentioned previously.

If you can save an “All” file, and attach the .W2A and .W3A files (zip them), I might be able to look at some settings in the Motif Editor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2016 @ 03:27 PM
Abztract
Joined  02-01-2016
5pinDIN - 12 February 2016 07:56 PM

Layering should only occur if the Receive Channel for two (or more) Parts is the same. If you only selected a drum kit for one Part, and started with a blank Pattern, that normally wouldn’t happen. You might want to try again with a different blank Pattern, or check the Receive Channel assignments as I mentioned previously.

If you can save an “All” file, and attach the .W2A and .W3A files (zip them), I might be able to look at some settings in the Motif Editor.

Hey thanks for your response man, its appreciated. I have been in hospital which is why I didn’t reply. Will try your suggestions when I get back. To be completely honest, I dont actually know how to clear the pattern so its blank or even check if its empty or not. How do I do that? If it helps, when I press ‘mix’ to select a sound, the letters ‘AP’ which I would imagine stands for acoustic piano is on every channel. Am I right in thinking thats not the norm? I wondered if that was why this was occurring but I couldn’t change it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2016 @ 06:25 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Abztract - 17 February 2016 03:27 PM

Hey thanks for your response man, its appreciated. I have been in hospital which is why I didn’t reply.

You’re welcome, and I hope you’re better soon.

Abztract -

Will try your suggestions when I get back. To be completely honest, I dont actually know how to clear the pattern so its blank or even check if its empty or not. How do I do that? If it helps, when I press ‘mix’ to select a sound, the letters ‘AP’ which I would imagine stands for acoustic piano is on every channel. Am I right in thinking thats not the norm? I wondered if that was why this was occurring but I couldn’t change it.

See [F6]-04 Clear Pattern on page 232 of the Motif Owner’s Manual. (For a Song, see [F6]-03 Clear Song on page 204.)

For a cleared Song/Pattern, piano is assigned to all 16 Parts by default. However, the Receive Channel is different for each Part, so they should not play via the keyboard at the same time.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Setting up motif with logic x
Next Topic:

CDROM set for MOTIF 6 ››