mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Setup MOXF8, 01v96i and Cubase"

Posted on: February 08, 2016 @ 12:33 PM
DoubleM
Total Posts:  36
Joined  01-19-2011

Hello there,

I am just starting to set up a home studio, but I don´t have any experience so far in this area. I was always “only” a live keyboardist.

I have the following equipment:

- MOXF8 (et al. keys).
- Yamaha 01V96i Mixer
- Cubase Elements 8 on iMac with 8 GB of RAM

How should I connect the gear properly, so that I can record and control Cubase via the 01V96i mixing console and via the MOXF both Midi and Audio?

Any help is appreciated.:)

Thanks, Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2016 @ 10:26 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014
DoubleM - 08 February 2016 12:33 PM

Hello there,

I am just starting to set up a home studio, but I don´t have any experience so far in this area. I was always “only” a live keyboardist.

I have the following equipment:

- MOXF8 (et al. keys).
- Yamaha 01V96i Mixer
- Cubase Elements 8 on iMac with 8 GB of RAM

How should I connect the gear properly, so that I can record and control Cubase via the 01V96i mixing console and via the MOXF both Midi and Audio?

Any help is appreciated.:)

Thanks, Michael

Hi there Michael

WOW, cool mixer!

I think Yamaha is showing you your basic connections already in the image at the top of the feature tab here

I personally don’t currently use any (hardware)mixer at all, so I have no experience in how to control Cubase from this mixer though.

My own MOXF(and my other gear) is connected with its analogue outputs to a pair of inputs in my audio interface and within Cubase I almost always use it with the VST editor. I assume that your best option is to also use your MOXF’s analogue outs or your mixer is somewhat wasted. ;-)

It’s hard to give any more advice since you’ll be the best judge of what workflow works best for you. I personally often find myself controlling Cubase with the transport buttons on the MOXF whilst editing any sounds on the MOXF from the editor within Cubase!

Best of luck and have tons of fun with your new gear! :-)

Cheerio

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2016 @ 02:29 AM
Mantra
Total Posts:  51
Joined  10-05-2011

Hi

I have had an 01v96 (not i) in the past and absolutely loved it, its one of the reasons that motivated me to get a motif, i.e. the quality of the 01v96.

You’ve got a couple of options there and if you only have that and the moxf you want to record, then doing the moxf directly using its own sound card is probably the simplest.

That said, the 01v96 does make a great control surface using its remote layer. You’ll just need to install the drivers and the faders, mute, solo, record arm from the 01v96 will control cubase. If you turn the remote layer off then it controls whatever layer of the mixer you’re working on.

In terms of having both of these, in MacOS you can have what is called a aggregate audio interface which will combine all the ins and outs of 01v96 and MOXF into one virtual audio interface.

As to the midi control, I have had the 01v96 running alongside a digi002 providing 24 channels of motorised faders, so these things can definitely combined and its just a case of assigning all the midi ports so they match up. So maybe midi tones are running on channel 1, the 01v96 control surface on channel 2 and the moxf control on channel three. That sort of thing.

That said, if you’re wanting to record multiple channels (more than 4) of audio simultaneously from the synth to cubase, then either a motif with the firewire option or a Montage would be a better solution.

The Motif has the added benefit of providing a remote control layer (but not motorised faders !!) which curiously has been left off the Montage.

[ Ignore ]