mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "NEED HELP WITH MY PIANOS"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: February 05, 2016 @ 04:45 AM
KostasT
Total Posts:  90
Joined  04-06-2013

I was not satisfied with the Motif pianos since I got my first Motif synth (MX61) and the disappointment continues with my MOXF (although it sounds a little bit better than MX, the samples are practically the same). On the other hand, I have watched many demo videos on youtube with beautiful Motif piano sounds and whenever I ask the question I get the same answer: these are the factory default Motif piano sounds, no tweeking at all. Unfortunately, I am not able to get that sound quality. I have used the synths both with headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M40fs and Sennheiser HD 380 PRO) and speakers (M-Audio AV42). The same sound in the store where I tested MOXF with some Yamaha headphones before buying.
Indeed, the trick with VCM EQ 501 preset change makes the piano sound brighter. The keyboard curve helps a little bit, but it’s a global setting. Does anyone have any specific EQ settings that have to be changed, in order to get better results (it’s not very clear from the above answers).
Also, has anyone tried XP50 piano voices, sampled by Cesarsound for the Motif XS? It was a free distribution in this forum some time ago. Although, they are not so accurate as the native Yamaha piano voices, they are very clean and bright pianos.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2016 @ 11:19 PM
allbritt
Total Posts:  6
Joined  12-26-2015

Thanks for the recommendation Magicman.  I purchase the Epic Piano from K-Sounds it it’s pretty nice!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2016 @ 08:35 PM
DallasXanadu
Total Posts:  76
Joined  05-20-2015

The trick with the VCM made my pianos sound terrible, in my opinion.  Much prefer it with the original setting.  The keyboard curve is all I’ve changed.  As for the sound on the demo videos, try running your MOXF stereo outs straight into a digital recorder (I just bought a Zoom H5, it’s quite handy).  That’s how most if not all of those videos are recorded and it makes a difference.  It’s a much purer version of the sound the keyboard is making.  I have a nice pair of EV powered monitors and a pair of Yamaha HS8s. Pianos are mediocre at best through both, even nice headphones are so-so.  But when I play back a direct-to-digital recording, I can’t help but think “THAT’S what a piano sounds like!”.  Kind of like the difference between a Steinway in Carnegie Hall versus the same piano mic’ed up and running through the P.A. at Madison Square Garden?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2016 @ 03:05 AM
LeeT
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-01-2016

Hi - first post on the forum after picking up a MOXF8 this week and apologies for the length of this one!
I’ve been using the Casio PX-5S for a year or so on live gigs and had the same initial issues with the piano sounds. They just didn’t cut through in a mix. Luckily there is a great sound designer, Dave Weiser, who used to sound design for Kurzweil and also produces sound packs for the PX. He programed some gig piano sounds that make one hell of a difference for live work. They don’t use any new samples etc, it’s all in the EQ and a bit of compression. I’ll have a look at the EQ settings and try them on the MOX to see if it can get close. If it works then I’ll post them on here. As posted several times on this post the velocity will make a difference and reducing tonal variation and volume on key strike helps - hence why a bit of compression works. Personally, the first thing I do on a new keyboard is remove most of the reverb for live work. Sounds lovely in isolation but causes sounds to disappear in a mix. Oh and lastly try and narrow the stereo field or run mono to front of house.
I spent many years working in studios and bear in mind that when you hear a piano track in isolation it can sound pretty awful. In order for it to work in the mix it shouldn’t clash with other instruments frequencies. I’ve got a raft of great piano sample libraries which sound fantastic but rarely work in a mix without significant treatment.
There is a reason that the awful Korg M1 piano was used on dance tracks for years. It cuts through.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2