mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Jump from voice to record?"

Posted on: November 24, 2015 @ 08:42 PM
wizardgraphics
Total Posts:  171
Joined  01-15-2012

I am trying out voices and I find a voice that inspired me. I want to record a quick idea using that voice. Is there a way to jump into record mode (pattern mode for e.g.) directly from that voice while keeping the voice as my first track? You can do that easily with a performance by pressing record. Any solution? Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2015 @ 11:10 PM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

I just took a quick look at the manual.
it looks to me like no.
looks like 3 ways to record.
Performance, Song and Pattern Modes.

here’s the manual. I’m sure you already have it.
I was reading recording to a track on p.38.
thats in Song Mode.
I do not see a faster way, than following the steps there (if you don’t want to record in Performance Mode).

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=ae.yamaha.com&asset_id=48528

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2015 @ 03:53 AM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012

Thank you for your reply Chasmanian. This way I will have to abandon the voice that I was just exploring and get into a blank song or pattern modes. Then I will have to reassign that voice to one of the 16 tracks, that of course if I can locate it fast enough. That [pause] to me is “Counter-Creative”. For example in a Korg you can jump from voice to record by just hitting the record button and it will take you to the equivalent of song mode in which you can loop tracks if you like.
Yamaha has a much more elegant sequencer than that of the Korgs and they did a beautiful job to get you from performance to recording with the press of the record button. I just wish someone from Yamaha here is listening: “Please guys, consider a software update that would add the ability to launch a voice directly into record more with the press of the record button”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2015 @ 04:04 AM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012

I guess until Yamaha decides to consider this suggestion, one can dedicate an initialized performance to exploring voices and then do the jump with the record button from that one voice performance mode to pattern record mode!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2015 @ 04:46 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Here is an in-depth discussion on your topic from Bad_Mister a couple of years ago.

You might find it interesting, or...it may just solidify your frustration!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2015 @ 05:14 AM
wizardgraphics
Joined  01-15-2012

Thank you cmayhle. Checking it…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2015 @ 10:22 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
wizardgraphics - 26 November 2015 04:04 AM

I guess until Yamaha decides to consider this suggestion, one can dedicate an initialized performance to exploring voices and then do the jump with the record button from that one voice performance mode to pattern record mode!

Unfortunately, a “counter-creative” pause would still be required in order to copy the Voice to an initialized Performance with all its parameters and effects intact. In a recent thread I provided links to support articles that detail the steps needed:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476304/

One way to work around the problem would be to use an external sequencer. You could hit “record” on it, continue playing the XF in Voice mode, and capture the MIDI data generated. If you decide to keep what’s been recorded, you could later take the time to set up a Performance or Song/Pattern with the Voice and all its parameters and effects, and then transfer the sequence from the external sequencer to the XF.

Note that I didn’t suggest what the “external sequencer” should be - there are just too many hardware and software possibilities.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ create bass arpeggio
Next Topic:

Copy effects from voice to song XF8 ››