mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S90/70XS Microphone Input EQ - is there any?"

Posted on: November 24, 2015 @ 12:09 PM
wp54
Total Posts:  27
Joined  01-27-2014

Hi - I have recently acquired a S70XS. One feature that was compelling is the mic input.

However, I can’t work out how to EQ this. It surely can’t be that you have to EQ the mic using the Master EQ, then EQ all the individual voices/programs...but unless there is a mic input EQ this is the only way?

Many thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2015 @ 04:31 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

See A/D Input Block on page 7 of the S90XS/S70XS Reference Manual, and the pages for the various modes linked to there in the PDF.

One of the effects available is VCM EQ 501. Another is NOISE GATE + COMP + EQ.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2015 @ 08:16 PM
wp54
Joined  01-27-2014

Thankyou – that was quick – I wouild never have found that – works great.

I realise that my understanding of Master EQ was wrong anyway….. – ie you set it up in one place to apply to Voices, in another to apply to a Program, and it does not apply to Masters

So I think my question now is – is there in fact a true Master EQ, ie where the EQ for the instrument in every mode is adjusted and set. Ie to match it with an amp that does not have tone controls like the Bose L1…? ( (and for venue to venue general level EQ)

Thanks again

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2015 @ 09:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome.

Yes, Master EQ as set up in Utility mode affects all Voices. For Performance or Multi modes, Master EQ setup is done per program, and there is also the 3-band EQ (adjustable either by editing or front panel controls).

I believe that in Master mode, the Master EQ setting of the associated program (Voice/Performance/Multi) applies.

This might help:
http://files.keyfax.com/download/S90XS/EFF101_XS.pdf

For speaker/room/venue application, an external device may be the way to go.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2015 @ 06:45 AM
wp54
Joined  01-27-2014

Thankyou again - very helpful article also.

I think you (and the article) are saying that there is no final EQ setting that EVERYTHING is affected by.

My thought had been that I could do an overall keyboard/amp EQ matching setup by using the S70 EQ which would pretty much bring all the sounds into line, whether originating from Voice, Performance or Master.

To do this, it looks like I do indeed need a separate mini-mixer between the S70Xs and amsp(s)....which is the very thing i wanted to avoid (and would also therefore make the S70 mic inoput redundant....!)

Assuming I’ve understood things correctly, then - there one more hope:-

For Master EQ of Voices the article says “In Voice mode, the Master EQ is setup and is global for the mode (applies to all Voices)”

But for Performances it says “In PERFORMANCE mode or in MULTI mode you can setup the Master EQ on a per program basis”

..and the question is… is that a “can ONLY” set up on a Per Program Basis or can it be set for ALL Performances also? ie in the same way as for (all) voices?

If I can do that then my original goal is or achieved - Ok there are two EQ setups to do rather than just one but I could live with that.

Phew - I think I’ve gone about as far down this is I can!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2015 @ 09:17 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
wp54 - 25 November 2015 06:45 AM

[...]I think you (and the article) are saying that there is no final EQ setting that EVERYTHING is affected by.

My thought had been that I could do an overall keyboard/amp EQ matching setup by using the S70 EQ which would pretty much bring all the sounds into line, whether originating from Voice, Performance or Master.

Let’s see if I can be succinct…
There’s no single EQ that can be applied globally for all modes.

wp54 -

To do this, it looks like I do indeed need a separate mini-mixer between the S70Xs and amsp(s)....

Perhaps, when working in other than Voice mode. How many different sounds do you need for a typical gig?

wp54 -

which is the very thing i wanted to avoid (and would also therefore make the S70 mic inoput redundant....!)

I still see an advantage to the mic input. Each Performance or Multi can store A/D Input level, pan, effects, and EQ settings. With the mic connected to an external mixer, those things might need to be adjusted whenever a different Performance or Multi was selected.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2015 @ 10:20 AM
wp54
Joined  01-27-2014

Thankyou again - yes that’s clear - and I do see what you mean about the Mic input - ie saving settings per performance.

Lots to think about!

I see that it’s a hugely more versatile instrument that I had ever imagined.

Thanks again for being so quick on this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2015 @ 10:38 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome, again.

The Motifs are “deep” - have fun exploring.  :-)

[ Ignore ]