mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sequencer doesn’t save which tracks/parts are muted during recording"

Posted on: November 24, 2015 @ 12:59 PM
raymonster
Total Posts:  8
Joined  08-31-2012

On the MOX8, in Performance mode, I play a song all the way through, no problems.  I sometimes mute a track, change between the 6 ARPs, and even switch voices on the voice tab real-time while I play.  I now have the song how I want it.  The problem…

I throught it would be simple enough to record the entire song using Song mode (switching from Performance mode to record by pressing the record button and choosing to save to the Song part of the sequencer).  However, I have had a few problems.

Problem No. 1

The Sequencer does not seem to remember that the drum track (Track 1) is actually muted for the first 4 or 5 bars, after which I unmute it real-time during the recording.  When I play back the song in Song mode, the drums (Track 1) starts straight away unmuted, even though they were supposed to be unmuted later.

I also tried record using Pattern mode, but it has the same problem with not saving when a tracked in muted/unmuted, they are just all ON (unmuted) all the time.

I’m guessing this is a problem I cannot fix, and I will need to manually remove the notes Drum notes (in Track 1) from the bars where I don’t want drums using the Job function?  This is just a lot of extra work.

Problem No. 2

There is no Voice tab in the Song’s recording mode, so I cannot seem to change voices real-time while I am recording.  I’m guessing this always means a lot of messing about to then move certain parts from Track 4 (my lead voice) to different Tracks by using the Job function post-recording.  That way, I can have the different voices.

Thanks for any tips.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2015 @ 04:05 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
raymonster - 24 November 2015 12:59 PM

Problem No. 1

The Sequencer does not seem to remember that the drum track (Track 1) is actually muted for the first 4 or 5 bars, after which I unmute it real-time during the recording.[...]

Apparently the track was muted before the start of recording the sequence. The sequencer can’t record an event that happens when it isn’t recording.

You can either mute the track as soon as you start recording, or later edit the Event List to do so.

This might be interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473648/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2015 @ 08:44 PM
KostasT
Total Posts:  90
Joined  04-06-2013

Although I have a MOXF, I think the functionality of the sequencer must be the same. Here is how I managed to overcome the real problems you mention:

Problem no 1):
- Record normally your performance to an empty song with all parts playing, changing ARPs etc.
- In the already recorded song press REC again and choose RecTR:scene and Type:replace. Press MUTE button. Press PLAY to start recording. During recording you will hear your song playing but whatever track mute/unmute buttons you press, they are being recorded to the song. (Keep a couple of empty measures in the beginning for easy management).

Problem no 2:
Either copy your track (for example lead voice) to an empty track of your song (if this is possible) with an alternative lead voice and use the above mentioned technique of recording mute/unmute tracks

OR BETTER

you have to enter PC (program change) events to your desired track. Here is a way of doing this:
- Press REC again in song mode
- Choose RecTR:your track no and Type:overdub
- Press F2 (VOICE)
- Arrange measure for recording and the desired voice
- Press PLAY to start recording
- For each voice change that you make during playback, MOXF creates a PC event for that specific track (which later you can fine tune with track edit event list).
Attention: You have to record a PC event at the beginning of the track with your original voice and then all the subsequent voice change events that you desire, because every time you play back your song, you want to change back to the original voice.

As a general rule have in mind that the sequencer records only in recording mode and only value changes (knobs turned, buttons pressed etc.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2015 @ 05:57 PM
raymonster
Total Posts:  8
Joined  08-31-2012

Thanks for your in-depth responses.  I will be trying out your suggestions.

[ Ignore ]