mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "When putting phrase to song, beginning of phrase gets cut off"

Posted on: September 12, 2009 @ 12:36 AM
majestique
Total Posts:  170
Joined  03-24-2009

anyone experiencing this? when i put a phrase from pattern to song mode.. the beginning of the phrase gets cut off..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2009 @ 04:59 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You can easily troubleshoot why this is happening to you by looking at the EVENT LIST carefully. Many times you think you have played in time when actually you may be a few clock ticks early. If you are not experienced in the Event List you can take a look at how every event is placed on a specific Measure - Beat - Clock

If for example you are attempting to place a Phrase to SONG from a PATTERN and your downbeat actually occurs on Beat 4 Clock pulse 478, instead of on the next downbeat 2 clock ticks later, you will experience notes getting cutoff… same thing about the ending - each note event on the EVENT LIST has a GATE TIME parameter (which tells you how long the note is held).

Also when you PUT a phrase to a SONG, initially it places a Bank Select/Program Change event on the track, so that you can easily recall the same Voice you were using in PATTERN mode - It does this rather than copying the entire MIX so that you can individual address Phrases and place them in any MIX setting. Feel free to remove this “PC” event (it is unnecessary once you [STORE] the Voice select to the MIXING setup of the SONG) it is simply redundant, at this point. But again looking at the data will reveal much (Yogi Berra: “You can observe alot just by looking") :^)

If after looking at the data you cannot figure out why it “gets cut off” post back and let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2015 @ 12:14 PM
Pablos544
Total Posts:  16
Joined  06-15-2014
Bad_Mister - 12 September 2009 04:59 PM

Also when you PUT a phrase to a SONG, initially it places a Bank Select/Program Change event on the track, [...snip...] so that you can individual address Phrases and place them in any MIX setting. Feel free to remove this “PC” event (it is unnecessary once you [STORE] the Voice select to the MIXING setup of the SONG) it is simply redundant, [...snip...]

Hello, (*)

* see update

I have gone into [MIXING] for the Song I’m getting the extra PC Command Put in, done [EDIT] -> [1] and in the “Voice” tab I selected a different voice.  I am assuming this is what you mean [STORE]-ing the Voice Select in my MIXING setup.

It then confirms that I’m ‘Storing sequence and Mix data to’ ... XX XXMYSONGXX - Press [ENTER] to execute.’

Indeed in the Song view the Voice is now my changed voice.

So then, I go back to [PATTERN] and from there go [JOB] ‘Phrase’ 07: Put Phrase to Song, check where I’m going and press [ENTER] to execute.

So back in [SONG] I look in [EDIT] and see that it’s copied the PC command inspite of going into [MIXING] for the song and storing Voice select for that song there.

Is there another way of ‘[STORE](ing) the Voice select to the MIXING setup of the SONG’?  Am I using th wrong OS perhaps?

[UPDATE] I’ve just seen that you might be right, the PC Event is actually redundant one you use the Store the Voice Select in the MIXING setup.  Even though it is there physically you can see it in green when you [EDIT], the playback of the song now sounds smooth as if there was nothing there.  I’m listening to it right now over and over on my headphones and I can’t detect even the slightest but of ‘note getting cut off’ sound.  Hurray!!  Cheers, Bad_Mister.  I always knew it, you the man.  Hurray!!

Cheers,
Pablo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2015 @ 01:39 PM
Pablos544
Total Posts:  16
Joined  06-15-2014
Bad_Mister - 12 September 2009 04:59 PM

Also when you PUT a phrase to a SONG, initially it places a Bank Select/Program Change event on the track, so that you can easily recall the same Voice you were using in PATTERN mode - It does this rather than copying the entire MIX so that you can individual address Phrases and place them in any MIX setting. Feel free to remove this “PC” event (it is unnecessary once you [STORE] the Voice select to the MIXING setup of the SONG) it is simply redundant, at this point. But again looking at the data will reveal much (Yogi Berra: “You can observe alot just by looking") :^)

If after looking at the data you cannot figure out why it “gets cut off” post back and let us know.

I too have found this to be absolutely right!  Once you create a MIXING for your SONG and store individual VOICE selects in this using [MIXING] -> [EDIT] -> [TRACK BUTTON 1..16] dialog you can then COMPLETELY IGNORE the PC Event the [PATTERN] -> [JOB] -> [F5] PHRASE -> 07 Put Phrase to Song thing puts in.

There IS ONLY ONE SLIGHT GOTCHA that didn’t get mentioned.  When you’re in [SONG] -> [MIXING] -> [EDIT] make sure you’re in [F6] RcvSwitch and SWITCH OFF Program Change.  Sorry I didn’t make this clear.  Sorry about that.

But the good news is once you switch this OFF you don’t hear any of the ‘note getting cut off’ stuff.  Apologies again for not making it absolutely clear.  Hope it helps! :)

Regards,
Pablo.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Copy voices from MM8 to Motif XS 8
Next Topic:

3 Questions ››