mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "sheet music reading question… Sharps and flats by the clef"

Posted on: November 11, 2015 @ 03:21 PM
malice95
Total Posts:  16
Joined  07-30-2015

So still learning to read music well…

I understand that when you have a piece of music that has a sharp symbol
right after the treble clef on lets say the top line of the scale (an F note), that all F notes in the piece, no matter what octave, are played sharp unless they are proceeded by a natural which cancels out the sharp.

Does a sharp notation in the treble clef also affect notes in the bass clef (if there is no sharp indication on the bass clef staff) ?

I ask because I have a song I am learning.. that just doesn’t sound right when an F# is played on the bass clef vs just using a normal F. The treble
clef F# all make sense and sound correct.

I just want to make sure I am understanding how to accurately read it. 

Thanks,
Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2015 @ 03:51 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

As far as I know, a key signature applies only to the clef where it appears.

However, it might be difficult to play a piece where the clefs’ key signatures didn’t agree. Having to remember that treble notes were affected, but bass not, would seem confusing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2015 @ 03:54 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

We can’t see the piece of sheet music you are looking at, but it sounds very unusual for a typical piece of sheet music to have different key signatures in the treble and bass clef.

The key signature establishes the key the piece of music is written in.  You are correct about the key signature establishing the rule for sharps or flats uniformly throughout the piece...which can be over-written with accidental naturals, sharps, or flats.

If you get into more complex scores that are written for a variety of orchestral instruments (woodwinds, brass, etc.), you will find staffs in different keys (with different key signatures), due to the variations of the root key the instrument plays in.  But this won’t generally be the case in commercial sheet music.

Is your piece commercially produced sheet music?  As 5pinDIN noted, the key signature only applies to the staff it appears on.

You can see attached image for typical treble and base clef key signatures and the corresponding key the signature denotes.

File Attachments
Key Signatures.pdf  (File Size: 902KB - Downloads: 319)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2015 @ 04:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

This is interesting:
https://www.quora.com/In-a-grand-staff-can-the-key-signatures-be-different-for-the-bass-and-the-treble-clef

I’m not sure I could easily split my brain to quite that degree…
(I’m not referring to hand independence.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2015 @ 12:50 AM
malice95
Total Posts:  16
Joined  07-30-2015

Okay that makes sense now. Only to the clef it is present in.

Besides a million little websites, is there a book or manual
that is considered the definitive guide to reading sheet music?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Your opinion is requested
Next Topic:

New Yamaha Trademark "VENOVA" application 2015-11-02 ››