mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Draw bars for Yamaha MOXF8"

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 04:08 PM
omarz88
Total Posts:  33
Joined  03-11-2012

Hey guys, any idea how i can get drawbar control like is accessible natively on the XF using my iPad air?  Also what connectors would i need to accomplish this task?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 04:42 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The Motif XF does not have drawbars. The 8 Control Sliders can be set to Element level controls… I think that is what you are referring to. These are not, technically speaking, drawbars, but do you give a degree of individual control.

The MOXF does the same thing with its 8 Knobs. Press both KNOB CONTROL buttons simultaneously, all six LEDs will light indicating that you have selected Element level control for knobs 1-8.

We know of no iPad app (yet) that gives either the Motif XF or MOXF individual Element level control.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 05:05 PM
omarz88
Total Posts:  33
Joined  03-11-2012

Thank you BM for the fast respond and clarification, i was of the impression that pressing both knobs you recommended would only control the volume of the voices. Or is it that the controls change once i am not layering voices

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2013 @ 10:20 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

...i was of the impression that pressing both knobs you recommended would only control the volume of the voices.

Not sure what to say, ...try it if you still have doubts.

But press the the two Knob Control Function buttons together while in [VOICE] mode gives 8 Element Level knobs… Try it, it may change your impression.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2013 @ 03:07 AM
goog
Total Posts:  39
Joined  06-01-2005
omarz88 - 26 December 2013 04:08 PM

Hey guys, any idea how i can get drawbar control like is accessible natively on the XF using my iPad air?  Also what connectors would i need to accomplish this task?

Try using iPad with controller apps like Lemur, MIDI Touch or MIDI Design. Those apps can handle the SysEx message. Design your own set of controllers and assign each of them to send SysEx message that control the level of elements then you can have a simple sets of ‘Drawbar’.

Connecting iPad to MOXF needs MIDI interface like Yamaha’s i-MX1 and you need another 30-pin to Lightning adaptor since those interface come with 30-pin connectors.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2014 @ 11:51 AM
Cloud9tn
Total Posts:  30
Joined  01-25-2014

Thanks Phil,

That cleared it up for me. I knew it could be done because I saw you do it in a youtube MOXF demo. I kept trying to push both AF buttons and cussed every time I turned a knob and changed other parameters.

Problem solved - Push both AKfunction buttons simultaneously.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2015 @ 11:39 AM
Zorgan
Total Posts:  15
Joined  01-21-2015

Bad Mister,

isn’t a drawbar effect just multiple oscillators of the organ (wave) sounds tuned to a specific harmonic of that organ sound therefore you would be able to achieve that effect by adjusting the volume of each volume knob?  I believe this is how the drawbars work, it’s only mixing each harmonic and blending those together to make a fuller organ sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2015 @ 02:45 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Zorgan - 10 October 2015 11:39 AM

Bad Mister,

isn’t a drawbar effect just multiple oscillators of the organ (wave) sounds tuned to a specific harmonic of that organ sound therefore you would be able to achieve that effect by adjusting the volume of each volume knob?  I believe this is how the drawbars work, it’s only mixing each harmonic and blending those together to make a fuller organ sound.

Unfortunately, you will no longer get any response from Bad_Mister in this Forum, as he emigrated over a year ago to the YamahaSynth Forum.

When an organ VOICE is set up with each of the (8) ELEMENTS associated with one of the (9) drawbar settings of the tonewheel organ...as many of the tonewheel organ VOICES are...then yes, by adjusting the level of each of the (8) ELEMENTS, you are adjusting the “drawbar” associated with each, in a sense.

Just be aware that you will be missing control over (1) of the single “drawbars” by virtue of the (8) ELEMENT ---> (9) DRAWBAR differential.  To compensate, many tonewheel organ VOICES gang (2) of the “drawbars” together into a single ELEMENT.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2015 @ 07:19 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

Something else to be aware of is that, if you create a voice with all 8 elements playing simultaneously, you will be using up 8 notes of polyphony for every note you play.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Is this possible (perf’s and songs q)
Next Topic:

Drum Beats on the MOXF ››