mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can I treat my MOXF as VST?"

Posted on: September 08, 2015 @ 02:11 AM
Limitless
Total Posts:  4
Joined  09-07-2015

Hi, I’m new here and I’ve just bought a MOXF6. I’m not very tech savvy person, so apologize if this questions sounds like dumb questions.

My main intention of using MOXF if to get the motif quality sound for creating backing tracks as accompaniment during live performance. I play piano, so I thought I’ll make pad/string/brass tracks using my MOXF, recorded via my DAW. I use Presonus Studio One as my DAW.

So I’ve been able to connect my MOXF to PC via USB, and able to record audio signal via built in MOXF soundcard. The thing with recording audio signal is, when I need to change pitch, I’ll need to rerecord all the sound again from scratch.

Now, is it possible if I want to treat my MOXF as a VST, so I will record MIDI data, which will be played through the MOXF. Then if I need to change the pitch, I can just transpose the MIDI and bounce the midi data using the MOXF sound.

Another question, if I record audio directly using MOXF soundcard, when recording mono channel (L) instrument, do I need to unplug the “(R) Right” audio output cable? Because in my understanding, there are sound difference when you connect only (L) audio output and listen to 1 piece of speaker VS if you plug L&R;cable, but only listen to 1 piece of speaker (the L speaker).

I hope you can understand my question. Sorry if it’s confusing and pardon my English. I really appreciate you time to help me.

Best Regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2015 @ 06:33 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Limitless - 08 September 2015 02:11 AM

[...] Now, is it possible if I want to treat my MOXF as a VST, so I will record MIDI data, which will be played through the MOXF. [...]

Welcome to the forum.

See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472188/

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/moxf_vst3_editor_with_presonus_studio_one

Limitless -

Another question, if I record audio directly using MOXF soundcard, when recording mono channel (L) instrument, do I need to unplug the “(R) Right” audio output cable? Because in my understanding, there are sound difference when you connect only (L) audio output and listen to 1 piece of speaker VS if you plug L&R;cable, but only listen to 1 piece of speaker (the L speaker).[...]

Presuming I properly understand your question…
If you want a mix of left and right channels from the L/MONO jack, then it is necessary to disconnect the R cable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2015 @ 05:04 AM
Limitless
Joined  09-07-2015

Thank you 5pinDIN! I’ll try that out!

So, in order to use MOXF as VST, I only need to install:

MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone / VST V1.6.3 for Windows (beside the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.5 for Windows)

Am I correct?

And I don’t need to install this one:

MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Tools V1.0.1 for Windows

Do I?

Thank you very much for your willingness to help me, I really appreciate your time:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2015 @ 08:24 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Limitless - 09 September 2015 05:04 AM

Thank you 5pinDIN! I’ll try that out!

You’re welcome.

Limitless -

So, in order to use MOXF as VST, I only need to install:

MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone / VST V1.6.3 for Windows (beside the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.5 for Windows)

Am I correct?

Yes, if those are correct for your computer OS.

Limitless -

And I don’t need to install this one:

MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Tools V1.0.1 for Windows

Do I?

Thank you very much for your willingness to help me, I really appreciate your time:)

Remote Tools includes the Remote Editor, but it’s not required if you don’t need to remotely control a DAW. You can operate the DAW from your computer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2015 @ 06:41 AM
Limitless
Joined  09-07-2015

Hi 5pinDIN. I have tried this guide:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/moxf_vst3_editor_with_presonus_studio_one

I have followed step 1-4 (Picture 1)

However, on step 5 (Picture 2), I couldn’t get the VST to be “Online”. It always says “Offline”.

When I click it, it says (picture 3) “Ports have not been properly set”

However, when I pressed the keyboard, I can see the incoming midi signal (Picture 4)

What do I need to do to get it “Online”?

Supposedly, once I’m able to get the VST online, I can make the sound/voice selection right from the VST, instead of manually selecting the voice I want manually from the MOXF keyboard, am I correct on assuming this?

Image Attachments
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2015 @ 09:02 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Be sure that the MOXF is turned on and connected before running the Editor.

Each time you newly start the Editor, it’s normal to show ”â–  OFFLINE” (or block color other than red, but not black). If the block is black ("â–  OFFLINE"), it indicates a lack of communication between the MOXF and computer.

Under the Editor “File” menu is “Setup...”. Click on that and see if you can set the ports. See pages 37-40 of the Editor Manual. For now, I suggest that the Auto Sync direction for Global and Current be changed to MOXF6/MOXF8 > PC.

If you can’t properly set the ports, I suggest that before running the Editor as VST, you try it standalone. Also, you might try a different USB cable - a member recently had problems that were resolved by changing that.

Once the MOXF and computer are synchronized, bi-directional control is possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2015 @ 03:41 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Hi there

In your screenshot it says ‘Not Assigned’ for all your ports.
Use the dropdowns to select the ports.

Attaching my own ones, should work for you too, I’d imagine.

Good luck

Image Attachments
editor.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2015 @ 04:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
zpink - 10 September 2015 03:41 PM

Hi there

In your screenshot it says ‘Not Assigned’ for all your ports.
Use the dropdowns to select the ports.

Attaching my own ones, should work for you too, I’d imagine.

Good luck

The port assignments in your attachment are indeed the ones that should be set. That’s why I referred to the “Setup” menu and the relevant Editor Manual pages. It’s also important to click “OK” after that’s done - just closing the Setup window by clicking the “X” won’t write the changes to the program.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2015 @ 05:03 AM
Limitless
Joined  09-07-2015

Thank you zpink and 5pinDIN for the reply, I’ll try copying zpink setting and will let you know if it works!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF6 For Sale
Next Topic:

Scenes "bug" in MOX also in MOXF? ››