mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Performance Editor for a PC"

Posted on: September 25, 2015 @ 05:00 PM
Lee Batchelor
Total Posts:  486
Joined  12-16-2003

Hi team,

I see Yamaha has an external performance editor for an iPad called, Performance Editor Essential. Is it free? Is there a free version for a PC? It would be SO much easier working with Performances than the 1980s matchbox, monochrome screen found on the MOX8. (I know, that’s what you get when you buy a MOX keyboard versus the full fledged 75 pound, Motif.)

Even with the beautiful screen that came with my Tyros 5, it’s still a million times easier editing stuff on a PC. Some folks in the Tyros forums have written nice third party software for such functions. Ideas welcome. Thanks…

- Lee

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2015 @ 05:31 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

John Melas’ Performance Editor .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2015 @ 05:56 PM
Lee Batchelor
Total Posts:  486
Joined  12-16-2003

Yep, I’ve seen that. It looks very good. It’s a shame you have to pay for it when there’s software for almost anything for free out there. All the same, it’s a great program. Perhaps I’ll buy it. Thanks for chiming in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2015 @ 12:45 PM
benj00
Total Posts:  113
Joined  06-03-2011

Hi,

Regarding the Melas editors and their price, as someone who has owned a number of different keyboards and used a lot of the free editors out there, the Melas suite is a cut above those. Yamaha does provide editors for the MOX, but they’re hard to use and not very intuitive, like the interface/structure of the entire Motif/MOX/MOXF/MX line. The Melas editors are clearly laid out, easy to navigate and John is very available to answer questions and address bugs. When you invest in these programs you’re getting a product that in my opinion is superior to anything else out there and will greatly improve your ability to create music. I own the Yamaha MOX6, MOXF6, and MX49 and the Melas editors are indispensable to how I use these keyboards and prepare them for live use.

Again the point is, they’re not free but its for a reason, they’re way better than any other editor for a keyboard out there . . .

Other keyboards/controllers I’ve owned or currently own (for reference):
Roland Juno - Di
Roland A-Pro-300
Nord Electro 2 73
Nord Stage 2 EX compact
Yamaha MO8
Yamaha P90
Yamaha P200
Yamaha P80
Korg CX-3
Novation Impulse 61
Novation 61 sl MkII
Alesis QX49
Acorn Masterkey 49
Akai MPK 61
Nektar Panorama P6

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2015 @ 10:00 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Another plug for John. Yamaha has never offered a Performance editor for the Motif series.

His editor is cheaper than an iPad ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2015 @ 04:51 AM
Hank_Buchek
Total Posts:  54
Joined  12-02-2013

Developing good (!) software is very time consuming. Usually people have to work to earn money. If there’s no (or less) time to work (because you’re developing good software), then .... somewhere the money has to come from.

John’s suite is an outstanding package, not too expensive (in fact it’s amazingly cheap, although I understand that “cheap” is a relative category), but well engineered. Why not pay for it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2015 @ 09:44 AM
bgrosse
Total Posts:  465
Joined  07-06-2009

Yes in deed, John’s Library package is the best tool available for the MOX or Motif series keyboards.

and - you get a lifetime of updates for free - so you do get something “free” too. ;-)

Bill G

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Invisible MIDI information? Stumped
Next Topic:

EWI sound in MOX6 ››