mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Song with Scenes, saved to USB, comes back corrupted"

Posted on: September 02, 2015 @ 06:27 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I have just spent a few hours trying every permutation and it’s clearly something being corrupted when my Song with Scenes is saved to USB then loaded back.

I have a Song. Call it Song 1. I’ve added Scenes 1-6 (Muting/Unmuting tracks), and as it sits in my MOX right now, it works perfectly. That is…

If I move out of Song mode to Voice, Performance, Master, then come back to Song and play Song 1 all of the Scenes play as programmed. Just for safety I put the full mix on Scene 6. I’m finding that the Song, when it is first accessed, comes up with the full mix anyway. When I tap Scene 1 it changes as programmed, right through Scene 5. Scene 6 puts it all back to default full mix. If I move out of Song mode, then come back, it performs exactly the same. 

So Slot 1 is Song with Scenes, slot 2 in version pre-scenes. The rest of the slots are blank. (I use BM’s suggestion, whenever I work on a Song individually I do it within it’s own All Song file and update all derivatives from that updated file.)

I save all this to the USB as an All Song. Now…

I go to File. Go to the All Song file and load Song 1 into the MOX, but into Slot 3, so I can compare the results.

I have not touched Song 1 in the MOX memory, except to Save it the USB. Now I’m taking what should be the exact same Song file and putting it back into the MOX. Song 1 and Song 3 should be exactly the same. When I play Song 3 it begins normally (in full mix). The Scene buttons all have their 1/8 icon. But as soon as I tap any of the Scene buttons everything drops to silence as transport continues. Even Scene 6. And when I check in Mix view, I can see that all the sliders have been dumped to 00.

I searched the various tracks for some stray MIDI command in the MIDI event list but each track appears to match exactly to the corresponding track in the previous versions residing in slots 1 and 2.

I have firmware 1.02 which appears to be the last update for MOX. Before I do anything rash like re-format the USB (which may have no effect), and all my backups are from this USB, is it possible there is some explanation for this?  It appears the corruption is taking place within the MOX during the save or load.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2015 @ 07:34 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Hmmm, an “interesting” situation…

1) Are you STORING the Song before Saving the All Songs file?
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/475853/

2) What happens if (rather than saving All Songs to USB drive and then loading Song 1 to Song 3 location) you STORE Song 1 elsewhere, such as Song 4 location? Does the problem exist with the copy at Song 4?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2015 @ 08:22 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

The answer to 1 is yes. I was even saving between each Scene set. And of course before leaving the Song or Song mode. I will double check that in my next round of experimentation, but pretty sure.

OK. So when I Copied Song 1 to Song 4 slot, it seemed identical. Even after I saved the All Song and then reloaded the All Song. (There seems to be something about whether it comes back playing the full mix or not, which may just be a function of the “last state” I left it in. However, the original Song, in slot 1, always seems to come back in full mix regardless. This is a minor thing, though, at this point.)

So after saving as All Song, containing 4 versions, I went to Song, went into the list and Loaded Song 1 back, but put it in slot 5. And I get the same result as when I loaded it to three—hit any Scene button and the whole thing goes to silence, volumes are at 00, etc.

Meanwhile, the other versions, Song 1 and now Song 4, came back with their Scenes intact. So they’ve both been on the USB and back. So the corruption seems to be occurring during the act of moving Song 1 from the USB to a Song slot in the MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2015 @ 09:02 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

OK, you’ve apparently homed in on the problem. It might be a good time to contact Yamaha support with your findings. However, I’d suggest a couple more things before doing that…

Save an “All” (not “All Song") file and see if the problem persists.

Do a factory reset (after a successful backup) and check again. If the strange behavior survives the reset, contacting Yamaha would seem prudent.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2015 @ 09:08 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

And, finally, I took the entire All Song file and loaded it.... Version 1 and Version 3 have been corrupted. 

Not sure what this means. I have the USB backed up in it’s entirety so I could reformat it if necessary. I will try some other Songs and see what happens. I use commercial MIDI files. Maybe there are events, Reset commands (?),that are reacting poorly to the Scenes programming. Cause the file plays at first, sounding normal. It’s only WHEN I push one of the active Scene buttons, doesn’t matter which one or at what point in the linear list, that it all collapses. So I’m thinking there’s a clue there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2015 @ 09:25 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I will try the ALL save next round. And factory reset is easy enough, I have everything backed up. Just keep thinking someone else would have encountered this problem before me. Hoping it’s something simple that I’ve overlooked. I will keep digging and report back if I find anything else interesting.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2015 @ 01:03 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I tried a different MIDI song file. Same thing. I took a MIDI made entirely on the MOX. Drums and Bass. I added a Piano track, just to have more to work with. Same thing, although the newly recorded track was the only one that retained it’s volume. But the pan was hard left like the others. It played back with drop outs and sotto voce until I toggled the Voice up one then back down, at which point it played properly. Not sure why it was only that track or voice. I tried copying each track from the master version, but that made no difference.

The Scenes remain there, changing Mute configuration as programmed, but with the first one pushed, the tracks all get corrupted. Too bad. This was a feature I was looking forward to using.

I’m sort of at the end of my ability to troubleshoot. This is the only bonified glitch I’ve discovered in the two years I’ve had the MOX. Getting it to Yamaha for servicing is out of the question, since I live in Mexico now.

Any more ideas are welcome. I will do a Factory Reset, reformat the USB, see if anything clears up.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2015 @ 01:52 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 03 September 2015 01:03 AM

[...]Any more ideas are welcome. I will do a Factory Reset, reformat the USB, see if anything clears up.

Have you tried saving an “All” file and loading from it? Of course, even if that works properly it’s not a cure - but it might help Yamaha find the problem (the more data, the better).

By the way, I’m not suggesting that you have Yamaha look at your MOX. I’m referring to letting them know what you’ve experienced, and seeing if they can duplicate the problem.

Although it might seem that other users should have reported a “bug” if one exists, it could be that nobody else has done precisely what you are doing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2015 @ 11:45 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I tried saving the Song as part of an All (not All Song) File and reloading that. Identical outcome.

What would be the best way to contact the Yamaha technicians? By email or phone? Maybe I can Skype someone and it won’t be too expensive.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2015 @ 12:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 03 September 2015 11:45 AM

What would be the best way to contact the Yamaha technicians? By email or phone? Maybe I can Skype someone and it won’t be too expensive.

Page 75 of the MOX Owner’s Manual lists worldwide Yamaha offices, including the one for Mexico. The address information might be outdated, but the phone number matches that here:
http://asia.yamaha.com/en/support/distributors/5_latin_america/mexico/

Best of luck in getting the situation resolved.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2015 @ 12:08 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Yamaha technical replied to my email and confirmed that, upon trying the same operations on their MOX, they experience the same problem. 

Anybody with a MOXF out there, I’m wondering if the bug exists in that version, too?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2015 @ 08:40 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 09 September 2015 12:08 AM

Yamaha technical replied to my email and confirmed that, upon trying the same operations on their MOX, they experience the same problem. 

Anybody with a MOXF out there, I’m wondering if the bug exists in that version, too?

It would seem that this is a serious enough bug to require an OS update. That your posts seem to be the first to expose the problem confirms something I’ve long suspected - most users apparently don’t exploit the full potential of their synths to any significant degree.

Since not all MOXF users might see this, you might want to post a “heads up” in the MOXF forum as well, linking to this thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2015 @ 12:22 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

At this point I would welcome an OS update for the MOX, of course, but I don’t see that happening since it’s not a current model. Maybe they will surprise us though. Am glad you agree, it’s kind of a glaring bug. 

As for the MOXF, I will link to this thread over there, too.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ click track and key on start
Next Topic:

recording arp changes to cubase in live recording ››