mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help with Selecting Drum Arp/Patterns"

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 07:44 AM
Jeff R 50
Total Posts:  159
Joined  01-11-2014

Does anyone know of an easier way to select similar arp patterns other than having to go and listen to hundreds of them each time that you want to find some that go together for A and B parts, etc.?  Just as an example of what I’m referring to, I am using DRPC pattern # 4660 which is sort of an early Elton John style of drums (Rocket Man, Daniel, etc.) but the associated sequential patterns do not really have the same rhythmic style.  There has to be an easier way to do this but I’m missing it.  Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 09:32 AM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

hey Jeff,

as you know, I am totally new to this stuff.

but an idea that comes immediately to my mind, is what if you audition, so to speak, Performances.
especially perhaps scroll through the categories and sub-categories of Performance that are in the genre of music that you are doing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 10:03 AM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Hi Chasmanian, thanks for the suggestion.  I did listen to the Performances but the style of music I am looking for doesn’t seem to be included.

I didn’t think this particular rhythm pattern was all that unique but I guess it is.  I went though and listened to nearly all of the Arp drum patterns so far and could only find the one with the style I’m looking for.  I’m not brave enough to try and create my own yet so I was hoping for some preset patterns to bail me out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 10:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Hold on to your hat.... Taking the approach of looking through the 2300 for a second phrase is only one way to proceed. I will offer a slightly different method here, that you may find more proactive and creative. We like to call this the “Phrase Factory” approach.

Once you have found a drum arpeggio Type you want to start with (Type DrPc #4660) transfer it as MIDI data to a track of the sequencer. Create a Phrase equal to the length of the music Section you are thinking about. For example, many popular Songs are based on an eight measure Verse and Chorus structure.

Record 8 measures of Arp 4660 to Section A of a Pattern. The act of recording this to a blank Pattern will create User Phrase 001.

Using the REMIX feature you can create alternate drum inflectIons based on this kit, based on the drums played within this kit, and most importantly, based on the feel of this particular drum phrase. If you’re new to the Remix feature, it is like having a variation generator with specific musically useful rules. It repositions MIDI events based on a preset set of variables (Type, Variation) which can be non-destructively applied to the original phrase. You also get to set an Interval (how often the remix is applied).

There is a tutorial on the Remix function and it is certainly a worthwhile direction to proceed - it is very much like having a drummer, because the lower the number Type and Variation the more “inside” the result - and since it is non-destructive you do not lose your original phrase. You can keep or cancel the variation phrases as apart of your personal phrase library. So it’s like having a drummer come up with ideas, but you get to approve or cancel on keeping them. If you keep it the MOXF will create phrase 002, it keeps phrase 001 (the original) but it patches phrase 002 to the track.

These phrases can be copied and pasted into a linear Song or they can be used as the basis to build a musical Pattern Section around.

You’ll find the Remix feature a compelling feature and rather than searching through other ‘unrelated’ phrases, you are working on the original phrase, Remix is a pleasant form of editing via auditioning and sculpting ... Don’t be afraid to add your own overdubs and hits to the data. Once you hear what remix does, it usually spurs its own ideas.

Some times its the remix of the first remix that really is the keeper! :-)

Painting Arpeggios to the Sequencer ... Written for the MOX this applies to the MOXF, and covers the basics behind Real Time Loop Remix.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 10:37 AM
Jeff R 50
Joined  01-11-2014

Thanks Bad Mister, That sounds like a much better option for me than listening to all of the Arp patterns (also sounds a little complicated, but not as complicated as it would have sounded a couple of weeks ago : )

As always, I appreciate your wisdom.

Wish me luck, I’m going in…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 10:52 AM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005
Bad_Mister - 11 February 2014 10:15 AM

Once you have found a drum arpeggio Type you want to start with (Type DrPc #4660) transfer it as MIDI data to a track of the sequencer.

Can you please expand on that BM.

So let’s say one is in a performance and likes the drum arp in part 1 and this Part 1 drum arp is the starting point…

You say “transfer it as midi data” as a simple statement, however I think it is not so simple, in operation...for example just going to Job and Copy does not appear to lend itself to this actual operation.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 02:58 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

So let’s say one is in a performance and likes the drum arp in part 1 and this Part 1 drum arp is the starting point…

If you have a Performance with the Arp set in Part 1

Press [RECORD]
Set the SEQ MODE target to an empty PATTERN number, it will have [*************] as the name
Set the Section to “A”
Set the Section Length = 008

Press [F2] REC TR
Select 1-4

Press [F3] OTHER
Turn KEY ON START = on
The defaults will copy the Performance Parts and switch to the target mode when done.

Touch a key to begin recording.

When 8 measures are complete the MOXF will stop, copy the Parts to the Pattern Mixing, and will automatically switch to Pattern mode ...where you can play it back.

Easier than you thought, no?
It truly is press Record, then [F1], [F2], [F3]!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 03:33 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005
Bad_Mister - 11 February 2014 02:58 PM

If you have a Performance with the Arp set in Part 1

Press [RECORD]
Set the SEQ MODE target to an empty PATTERN number, it will have [*************] as the name
Set the Section to “A”
Set the Section Length = 008

Press [F2] REC TR
Select 1-4

Press [F3] OTHER
Turn KEY ON START = on
The defaults will copy the Performance Parts and switch to the target mode when done.

Touch a key to begin recording.

When 8 measures are complete the MOXF will stop, copy the Parts to the Pattern Mixing, and will automatically switch to Pattern mode ...where you can play it back.

Easier than you thought, no?
It truly is press Record, then [F1], [F2], [F3]!!!!

Thanks ...yes it was actually, I stand corrected :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2014 @ 10:55 AM
BobosCurse
Total Posts:  81
Joined  12-31-2013

I have always played my drum parts by hand.  I map a drum kit on the keyboard, then repeat the kit two octaves higher.  This allows me to play 2-handed drums like a drummer.

Then I quantize as needed.

This has just been my workflow.  I get drums done much faster this way than programming or editing existing patterns.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2015 @ 08:00 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I’m interested in what BobosCurse is attempting in his last post here.  Can BobosCurse or anyone else describe in more detail how he is “mapping a drum kit” that repeats two octaves higher? I am a drummer and I, too, would prefer to use two hands, two fingers, whatever, and just play the parts myself, but the keyboard real estate is too cramped. I presume we are talking about making a User Drum Kit?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2015 @ 08:18 PM
BobosCurse
Total Posts:  81
Joined  12-31-2013

So picture this:  You have a kick drum on low C, a snare on the D next to it.  Then a closed HH on F# and an open HH on A#.  Toms mapped to f, G, A, B.  Then crashes and rides on the next octave on C#, D#, etc.

With this mapping you can see how easy it is to play kick and snare with 2 fingers on the left hand, and open/closed HH on the right hand.

Then you take this whole mapping and repeat it higher up on the keyboard, obviously where it doesn’t overlap your first kit.

Now you can play the same snare sound (or toms, or whatever) with both hands and get convincing rolls, fills, etc.  You can’t get that trying to play rapidly on one key with two fingers.

Here’s a very old example.  The drums don’t really cut through but you get the picture.  I’ve fooled drummers with it.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mhc97Zct28&feature=youtu.be

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2015 @ 10:57 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Great solution to the problem.

So what is your procedure for setting it up that way?  You select a Drum Kit, then what?  I’m talking about the “mapping” on the MOXF. I’ve never done anything that elaborate with voice editing, so I’m looking for a walk thru, if you don’t mind. (I have an MOX but assume the process is same.)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF6: Saving Songs To PC
Next Topic:

Tracking out a Pattern: Midi ››