mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "copying a performance to a Song/Pattern so I can play other parts with it??"

Posted on: August 04, 2015 @ 11:46 PM
joden1
Total Posts:  52
Joined  07-26-2015

As in having the performance set to parts 1-4 and then being able to play other parts 5-16 using a different sound, but still having the performance running.

Is this possible?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 12:39 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
joden1 - 04 August 2015 11:46 PM

As in having the performance set to parts 1-4 and then being able to play other parts 5-16 using a different sound, but still having the performance running.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Yes.

You don’t indicate whether you are familiar with how to COPY a PERFORMANCE to a SONG or PATTERN MIXING, so see This Thread if you need some direction.  Your PERFORMANCE arpeggio settings should be automatically imported when executing the COPY Job.

Once you get the PERFORMANCE into a mixing, you are free to add your other PARTS...5 through 16.

All parts that have a common Receive Channel setting (see page 117 of the MOXF Reference Manual) will sound simultaneously when playing from MIXING (SONG/PATTERN) Mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 02:32 AM
joden1
Joined  07-26-2015

But the only way I can get parts 5-16 to sound is to play them on midi channel 1, which is obviously the performance parts channel???

As I wrote elsewhere this is doing my head in!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 12:19 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
joden1 - 05 August 2015 02:32 AM

But the only way I can get parts 5-16 to sound is to play them on midi channel 1, which is obviously the performance parts channel???

As I wrote elsewhere this is doing my head in!!

Yes, in SONG or PATTERN (MIXING) Mode, the only way to get PARTS to sound together is to assign them to the same MIDI Receive channel (as I mentioned above).

And yes, that would be the same channel assigned to the PARTS that originated in your PERFORMANCE.

You have not told us anything about why playing them on the same MIDI channel is not working for you(?) Is it individual control or...what?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 01:41 PM
joden1
Joined  07-26-2015

all I am trying to do is be able to play additional parts (outside the up to 4 in a perf) along with the performance...for eg have a bass/drum groove and acouple of comping instruments and then playing live lead lines and alternate chord comping with another instrument.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 02:15 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
joden1 - 05 August 2015 01:41 PM

all I am trying to do is be able to play additional parts (outside the up to 4 in a perf) along with the performance...for eg have a bass/drum groove and acouple of comping instruments and then playing live lead lines and alternate chord comping with another instrument.

And why can you not do this with everything on the same MIDI channel?  You do know that you can activate/mute PARTS at will?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 02:33 PM
joden1
Joined  07-26-2015

yeah that I do know :) but when in performance mode only the first four parts can be affected by the mute. NO other parts are available.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 04:17 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
joden1 - 05 August 2015 02:33 PM

yeah that I do know :) but when in performance mode only the first four parts can be affected by the mute. NO other parts are available.

But we aren’t in PERFORMANCE MODE any more, we have moved to SONG /PATTERN MODE!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 04:33 PM
joden1
Joined  07-26-2015

ahhh okay gotcha - thought you were talking about perf mode...my bad sorry!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 06:56 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

See page 15 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual.

It has a thorough discussion of the Mute Button(s) use in in SONG and PATTERN Modes.

Pay particular attention to SONG or PATTERN MIXING, as this is where you will activate the Mute Buttons to control which PARTS are sounding.

You can have as many PARTS as you wish (up to 16) on a single MIDI channel, and choose which ones are sounding at any given time using the Mute Buttons.

I’m not saying this is a great idea, just as a way to demonstrate the changes that occur when a PERFORMANCE becomes a PATTERN or SONG.

[ Ignore ]