mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can someone explain Master+Song+live part play?"

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 12:30 AM
joden1
Total Posts:  52
Joined  07-26-2015

From what I understand (and I probably have it wrong) if I copy a performance to a Song (or pattern), then associate that song with a MASTER, then the performance will still play all four parts AND I can play extra sounds assigned to a different zone…
However all I cna get to work is either a sound or the perf but not both…

so does (for eg) Zone 1 assigned to midi channel 1 play all the perf parts, and then if I set say a piano part to zone 2, but assigned to midi channel 2 does it then allow me to play that sound as well as the performance which is ticking away on channel 2?

This is all doing my head in something fierce!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 12:56 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
joden1 - 05 August 2015 12:30 AM

From what I understand (and I probably have it wrong) if I copy a performance to a Song (or pattern), then associate that song with a MASTER, then the performance will still play all four parts AND I can play extra sounds assigned to a different zone…
However all I cna get to work is either a sound or the perf but not both…

so does (for eg) Zone 1 assigned to midi channel 1 play all the perf parts, and then if I set say a piano part to zone 2, but assigned to midi channel 2 does it then allow me to play that sound as well as the performance which is ticking away on channel 2?

This is all doing my head in something fierce!

Once you get the PERFORMANCE to a SONG or PATTERN MIXING, you can associate that SONG(PATTERN) with a MASTER location.  Important to remember that at that point the PERFORMANCE really no longer exists...you now have a collection of MIXING PARTS.

In SONG or PATTERN MODE, you must be on a common MIDI channel (Receive Channel) to play PARTS simultaneously.

In MASTER MODE, you can simultaneously play up to (4) MIDI channels at the same time (8 in the Motif XF).  This is done by activating up to (4) ZONES.  However, you can have more than 1 PART assigned to each ZONE MIDI channel...that is how you play multiple PARTS together using MASTER Mode.

Must reading:  This Article.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 02:31 AM
joden1
Joined  07-26-2015

thanks but I am still in the dark on exactly HOW I can have a performance AND extra playing parts in a Master???

Does the four parts of the performance go to Zone 1, then I can use zone 2,3,4 for other instruments? Does the Performance need to take up all four zones???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 12:27 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
joden1 - 05 August 2015 02:31 AM

thanks but I am still in the dark on exactly HOW I can have a performance AND extra playing parts in a Master???

Does the four parts of the performance go to Zone 1, then I can use zone 2,3,4 for other instruments? Does the Performance need to take up all four zones???

Since you are limited to (4) ZONES on the MOXF, it seems a good strategy would be to assign the (4) PARTS that originated from your PERFORMANCE to ZONE 1, MIDI channel 1.

You then might have (for example):

PARTS 5/6: Piano and Strings: ZONE 2, MIDI channel 2
PART 7: Saxophone: ZONE 3, MIDI channel 3
Part 8: Organ:  ZONE 4, MIDI channel 4

You would need to get a good “mix” balance on ZONE 1 with your “PERFORMANCE” PARTS (because they will respond together...as a group...when adjusted in real time playing).  (Same idea with the Piano/Strings Layer in ZONE 2)

You would then retain individual control over your other PARTS:  Piano/Strings layer...ZONE 2, Sax...ZONE 3, and Organ...ZONE 4.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 01:39 PM
joden1
Joined  07-26-2015

okay thanks cmayhle - then at least I am thinking along the correct lines..just need to learn how to do it.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 02:16 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Have you gone through the Article I linked to above?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2015 @ 02:30 PM
joden1
Joined  07-26-2015

yeah I had a read over it yesterday - but didn’t “study” it if you get me. Now I know that my thinking is straight I will re-read it more closely.

[ Ignore ]