mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS - reloading WAV samples?"

Posted on: July 23, 2015 @ 07:08 AM
jeauxbleaux
Total Posts:  20
Joined  05-25-2015

To all,

I play a Motif XS7 (which I dearly love) and have just started to work with samples.  I have installed 1G memory and a USB stick (8G) installed full-time in the USB port.

My problem?  I cannot get the two waveforms I created to reload after I power off.

I created and saved a new voice which uses two waveforms, each a separate .WAV file from the USB stick.  Each waveform is a separate element and distributed in its own key range.

I then loaded that voice into a pattern and used it to create phrases to complete my creation.  I had everything the way I wanted it and saved it in that condition.

When I power off and on again, however, the voice is silent. A push of the “Integrated Sampling” button reveals that waveforms 0001 and 0002 are blank. Needless to say, the pattern track using that voice is also silent.

Is all my work vaporized?  Please tell me that there is a way to retrieve the WAV files into their previous waveform configurations without having to re-create it from scratch every time.

All help appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Joe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2015 @ 08:04 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Did you press [STORE] after making your creations?
Only STORED data can be SAVED to the USB drive.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2015 @ 08:17 AM
jeauxbleaux
Joined  05-25-2015

I have STOREd the voice and the pattern.  It sounds like I need to do the same for the sample, but I’m not sure where.  Here’s my chain of events.  I’m in VOICE mode with a freshly initialize voice.

1.  Press FILE, locate the first WAV file and LOAD it into element 1 at note C2.

2.  Locate the second WAV file and LOAD it into element 2 at note C3.

3.  Press EXIT and return to the voice.

4.  Press INTEGRATED SAMPLING and distribute each waveform across the appropriate key ranges.

Is this where I should STORE?

5.  Press EXIT and return to the voice, which now sounds the way I want.

6.  Press STORE, ENTER, YES to save the voice.

Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2015 @ 08:36 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Step 6 doesn’t “save” the Voice - that’s only done in a file on the USB drive.

A properly STORED and SAVED Voice should reload with its associated Waveforms. Something apparently isn’t being STORED properly.

EDIT: Or perhaps the problem relates to what’s being reloaded.
What Type of file are you saving?
Specifically what are you loading - the entire file, or some part of it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2015 @ 05:36 PM
jeauxbleaux
Joined  05-25-2015

The pattern requires the voice, and the voice requires the two WAV files on the USB drive.  My hope is that when the voice is recalled, either directly in voice mode or indirectly in pattern mode, the two WAV files would automatically load, but so far no dice.

I have saved the voice and the pattern.  When recalled after a power cycle, they appear correctly on the screen, but the voice is silent.  If I push INTEGRATED SAMPLING I find no evidence that I did anything.  I suspect that I need to STORE my work when I’m in that mode BEFORE I return to voice mode, which I have not done.  Am I on the right track?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2015 @ 08:21 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jeauxbleaux - 23 July 2015 05:36 PM

The pattern requires the voice, and the voice requires the two WAV files on the USB drive.  My hope is that when the voice is recalled, either directly in voice mode or indirectly in pattern mode, the two WAV files would automatically load, but so far no dice.

I have saved the voice and the pattern.  When recalled after a power cycle, they appear correctly on the screen, but the voice is silent.  If I push INTEGRATED SAMPLING I find no evidence that I did anything.  I suspect that I need to STORE my work when I’m in that mode BEFORE I return to voice mode, which I have not done.  Am I on the right track?

Once you create a Voice that depends on those two WAVs, the XS makes a Waveform for each. If you STORE the Voice, the connection to those Waveforms is established. However, since the SDRAM (DIMM) memory is volatile, that data is lost whenever the power to the XS is turned off. When the XS is powered the next time, the Voice will remain, but the Waveform/sample data won’t be there unless it’s reloaded.

In order to help you, I need answers to my previous questions, please…
What Type of file are you saving - “All”, “All Voice”, etc?
When you power the XS up after a shutdown, what are you loading - the entire file, or all voices, or a single voice, etc?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2015 @ 07:20 AM
jeauxbleaux
Joined  05-25-2015

Forgive my ignorance, I’m still new at this stuff. 

“When the XS is powered the next time, the Voice will remain, but the Waveform/sample data won’t be there unless it’s reloaded.”

I understand that in principle, but as you say, it’s really in the details.  My hope is that if I can’t load everything automatically, there is a way to retain at least the sampling configuration (the note range assignments - see below).

“What Type of file are you saving - “All”, “All Voice”, etc?”

I’m not actually “saving” any files. The two WAV files remain on the USB drive in a SOUNDS folder. I’ve had another go at it and here’s where I am.

In order to get the voice and the pattern to work properly after a power up, I have to do the following.

1.  I recall the voice, which at this point is totally silent.

2.  I press FILE and LOAD the each of the WAV files into the voice in succession, one as element 1 and the other as element 2.  NOTE:  I have tried pressing STORE in this mode, but nothing happens.

3.  I then press EXIT to return to the voice, which now will play the two WAV files, but each on one note only. 

4.  I press INTEGRATED SAMPLING, select waveform 0001 (the first WAV file), press EDIT and set the note range to my requirements.  At this point I have tried to STORE the settings, but again nothing happens.  I press EXIT to return to the main sample screen.

5.  I repeat the previous step for waveform 0002 (the second WAV file).  I then press EXIT to return to the voice, which now operates the way I want.

6.  I press STORE to store the voice in this configuration, then ENTER, then YES to confirm. 

The voice now operates as expected, as does the pattern, until I power off.  When I power up again, I have to repeat steps 1 through 5.  The Voice and Pattern are there, but not the waveforms.  There’s no evidence that I did anything.  I’m surprised that none of the configuration is retained. Must I load and configure each waveform manually every time?  I just know I’m missing something.

All help appreciated.  Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2015 @ 08:52 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jeauxbleaux - 24 July 2015 07:20 AM

Forgive my ignorance, I’m still new at this stuff.

No problem, that’s what the Motifator forum is all about.

jeauxbleaux -

[...]I’m not actually “saving” any files. The two WAV files remain on the USB drive in a SOUNDS folder. I’ve had another go at it and here’s where I am.

[...]

6.  I press STORE to store the voice in this configuration, then ENTER, then YES to confirm. 

The voice now operates as expected, as does the pattern, until I power off.  When I power up again, I have to repeat steps 1 through 5.  The Voice and Pattern are there, but not the waveforms.  There’s no evidence that I did anything.  I’m surprised that none of the configuration is retained. Must I load and configure each waveform manually every time?  I just know I’m missing something.

Some loading will need to be done each time the XS is powered on, but no configuring.

Here are the required additional steps:

7. SAVE an “All” (.X0A) file, or an “All Voice” (.X0V) file to your USB drive.

Power off the XS. Power on the XS.

8. LOAD the “All” or “All Voice” file, or at least the particular Voice.

Details for step 8…
The file can be manually selected and loaded, or the process can be automated - see Auto Load information on pages 262 and 263 of the XS Owner’s Manual. Or, a specific Voice can be manually loaded - see pages 280-281 of the manual. The Waveforms will be loaded with the Voice. It’s also possible to load just Waveforms from an “All” file - see pages 281-282.

That should get things working properly for you. If not, more help is available.

By the way, I hope this thread is making it clear that using the correct terminology is important. This isn’t meant as criticism, but just to make things easier for everyone. For example, the differences between “STORE” and “SAVE”, and between “WAV” and “Waveform”, as Yamaha uses the terms, can cause confusion if not used properly.

Please let us know how things go now.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2015 @ 11:36 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

5-pin nailed it. You didn’t save everything as an All file with a name back onto a USB drive.

Samples are not stored permanently into the XS. They “go away” when you power down.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2015 @ 04:01 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Just to make this absolutely clear…

Once the file is saved in step 7, from then on only step 8 is necessary. Steps 1 through 7 will no longer be required, unless new Voices with samples are created.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2015 @ 08:55 AM
jeauxbleaux
Joined  05-25-2015

Works like a charm.  I saved the file ALLVOICES.XOV file to my USB stick, set it to autoload and all is well.  I just turn it on and go.  Thanks a bunch.  What is left of my hair thanks you.

I still have a couple of questions to help me deepen my understanding.

1.  Am I correct in assuming that the WAV files must still be available in the same location on the USB stick?  Put another way, is it true that the XOV file stores file pointers and configuration data, but does not embed actual sound data?

2.  To prevent me having to change the autoload file location, but still be able to back up my data on a regular basis, would you consider the following procedure bulletproof?

a. Save the file ALLVOICES.XOV whenever I make any changes to any Voice, otherwise, my changes will be overwritten upon power up.

b. Periodically save .XOA files to my USB stick and elsewhere in case of emergency.

c. Keep backup copies of the .WAV files.

Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2015 @ 12:21 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jeauxbleaux - 25 July 2015 08:55 AM

Works like a charm.  I saved the file ALLVOICES.XOV file to my USB stick, set it to autoload and all is well.  I just turn it on and go.  Thanks a bunch.  What is left of my hair thanks you.

You (and your hair) are welcome.

jeauxbleaux -

I still have a couple of questions to help me deepen my understanding.

1.  Am I correct in assuming that the WAV files must still be available in the same location on the USB stick?  Put another way, is it true that the XOV file stores file pointers and configuration data, but does not embed actual sound data?

Waveforms associated with Voices are saved as part of an “All Voice” file, so the original WAV files don’t have to be available.

By the way, the file extension is X0V - the middle character is a zero, not an “oh”. Other models use a different number, which helps identify the file and prevent loading to incompatible models - it’s a “3” for the Motif XF, a “6” for the MOXF, as examples.

jeauxbleaux -

2.  To prevent me having to change the autoload file location, but still be able to back up my data on a regular basis, would you consider the following procedure bulletproof?

a. Save the file ALLVOICES.XOV whenever I make any changes to any Voice, otherwise, my changes will be overwritten upon power up.

b. Periodically save .XOA files to my USB stick and elsewhere in case of emergency.

c. Keep backup copies of the .WAV files.

Yes - since you’re using Auto Load, saving a new .X0V file before powering off each time is important if changes to Voices have been made.

If you make changes to other User data (Performances, Masters, Songs/Patterns, Utility settings, whatever) then you should save a .X0A file to preserve that data. Since the Motif doesn’t date-stamp files, including the date in the filename can be helpful. Periodic backups to more than one location is good insurance.

It certainly doesn’t hurt to keep copies of the original WAVs. However, as far as the XS is concerned, that data isn’t needed once you create Waveforms and they’re backed up as part of “All"/"All Voice” files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2015 @ 03:19 PM
jeauxbleaux
Joined  05-25-2015

It all makes sense now.  The Motif only recalls waveforms embedded in a X0A or similar file.  It cannot recall the original source audio files (WAV or AIFF).  That’s why you have to save the X0A or similar file.

Awesome.  I’m good to go.  Just in time for our gig tonight.

Thanks a lot.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2015 @ 05:54 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jeauxbleaux - 25 July 2015 03:19 PM

It all makes sense now.  The Motif only recalls waveforms embedded in a X0A or similar file.  It cannot recall the original source audio files (WAV or AIFF).  That’s why you have to save the X0A or similar file.

Awesome.  I’m good to go.  Just in time for our gig tonight.

Thanks a lot.

I’m glad you’ve got things working and that it makes sense.

Have a good gig.

[ Ignore ]