mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Program Change Issue In Sequencer Mode"

Posted on: July 20, 2015 @ 02:59 AM
neel_tankpac
Total Posts:  44
Joined  08-04-2012

Hi Guys,

I was trying to program a few a tracks in the sequencer and used a PC event in one of the tracks. Surprisingly whenever the PC event was triggered there seemed to be some sort of delay and the whole song seemed like skipped a fraction of a beat.
Just to experiment I moved the PC event in another track and problem dint recur.
Have used PC in the past also but dint notice this issue before.

Is it some kind of malfunctioning or am I doing something wrong ?

Regards,
Neel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2015 @ 03:16 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Are you inserting the PC event at the top of a measure, with a Note-On event immediately following it? If so, you can expect a momentary “glitch” - PC takes a short while to occur. That can usually be avoided by moving the PC event a few clock ticks earlier, so that it occurs at the end of the previous measure by a sufficient amount. You might have to experiment a bit to determine exactly how far to move the PC event.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2015 @ 03:31 AM
neel_tankpac
Joined  08-04-2012

Actually I tried that . Moved it to a measure before the actual note data, but then the pause moved to that measure .

The thing is the glitch sounds to be impacting the whole song .

In the Track 1 , I had a pad sound and after quite some empty measures I added a PC , and after a gap of 1 measure there is note data .

In other tracks I had drums, guitars, bass .. N this glitch seems to pause the song for a fraction, which on live might not be so audible, but when you listen to that part again and again sounds a little off .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2015 @ 10:01 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

What you described shouldn’t be happening. Could you post an “All Song” (.X3S) file with a short sequence that exhibits the problem? If you do so, zip the file before attaching it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2015 @ 11:29 AM
neel_tankpac
Joined  08-04-2012

Thanks 5pinDIN for the quick response as always :).

Coming to the issue I think this following thread throws some light on the same
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475194
See the post by paulus1971, but I think you must be already knowing this stuff.

For your reference I am attaching the X3S file.
In Track 1 I have added a PC at measure 61:1:00
In Track 2 I have added a PC at 58:1:00 and 61:1:00.

To make out the problem, the best is to mute all tracks but Track 1, 2, 4 and 5.

Track 1:
1:1:00 --> Pop Bells & Pad MW(PRE2)
61:1:00 --> Rotor Vibrato(PRE1)

Track 2:
1:1:00 --> Monaural Grand MW(PRE1)
58:1:00 --> Rotor Vibrato(PRE1)
61:1:00 --> Rotor Vibrato(PRE1)

Play Track 1,2,4 and 5 together and then mute Track 1 and see the difference

When the PC happens between same banks the glitch is almost negligible, but when the switch is across different banks its quite prominent.

File Attachments
Test.n3.zip  (File Size: 10KB - Downloads: 150)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2015 @ 05:19 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Actually, the PC on Track 2 at 58:1:00 is Monaural Grand MW, but that isn’t important.

Try playing the attached, and tell me what you think.

File Attachments
Test2.n3.X3S.zip  (File Size: 10KB - Downloads: 140)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2015 @ 10:14 AM
neel_tankpac
Joined  08-04-2012

Fantastic :).

Swapping Track 1 and 11 solves the issue ? Or there was something else which I missed.

Surprisingly if I mute Track 2 which has another PC, there is not even that slight slag which I mentioned earlier.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2015 @ 05:24 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
neel_tankpac - 22 July 2015 10:14 AM

Fantastic :).

Swapping Track 1 and 11 solves the issue ? Or there was something else which I missed.

Surprisingly if I mute Track 2 which has another PC, there is not even that slight slag which I mentioned earlier.

Yes, swapping Track 1 with Track 11 mostly solves the problem. What’s interesting is why that happens.

MIDI is a serial protocol - two events can’t occur at the same time, one must follow the other. If you have 16 tracks of MIDI data, events might coincide in time on several tracks. What’s the sequencer supposed to do, flip a coin?  ;-)

Typically tracks are given a certain priority. It’s not unusual for first priority to be given to Track 10 (because their timing is critical, that’s where the drums are often put), followed by Tracks 1 through 9, and then 11 through 16. A sequencer can also have other priorities, independent of track number, such as putting note-on events over controller operation.

You might want to experiment some more with which track you use for what. You could also look into where you place a PC event in a measure - if other tracks have notes-on at the time, try delaying the PC event a few clock ticks so that it doesn’t compete.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2015 @ 10:34 PM
neel_tankpac
Joined  08-04-2012

That’s really wonderful the way you explained about MIDI :) . Thanks again .

I did try n experiment a bit after we started this discussion. In fact I placed the PC on Track 2 right after the note data, and the results were positive.

But 1 last question, do the banks have anything to do with the PC like I pointed out earlier.I mean switching between same and different banks ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2015 @ 09:06 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
neel_tankpac - 22 July 2015 10:34 PM

That’s really wonderful the way you explained about MIDI :) . Thanks again .

Thank you.

neel_tankpac -

I did try n experiment a bit after we started this discussion. In fact I placed the PC on Track 2 right after the note data, and the results were positive.

In music, “timing is everything”.  :-)

neel_tankpac -

But 1 last question, do the banks have anything to do with the PC like I pointed out earlier.I mean switching between same and different banks ?

It might make a slight difference, but proper placement of the commands should minimize any impact.

[ Ignore ]