mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need help with re-using a part in MIXING mode"

Posted on: July 19, 2015 @ 10:13 AM
samson8884
Total Posts:  39
Joined  09-10-2012

I read about the mixing mode explained here
and I like how it describes using the MOX in a real world live situation. So I started planning my live setup which consists of 15 different voices meant to be played with the right hand, plus a Bass voice meant to be played with the left. Depending on which song I’m currently playing, I could easily switch between any of the first 15 voices, while keeping a fixed bass voice.

Here is a simplified example of what I want to do.

Say I have the following setup
PART 1 = Piano
PART 2 = Organ
PART 3 = Strings
PART 4 = Bass

In the real world I would be able to have 2 musicians play simultaneously. Piano + Bass for the start of the song and then Organ + Bass for the lead ending with Strings + Bass. I can re-use the same Bassist for each section of the song.

On the MOX I know that I could layer sounds in the MIXING mode by setting them to the same MIDI Channel. But is there a way I could use the same PART (in this case Bass on PART 4) layered with PARTs 1, 2 and 3, or do I have to copy the Bass to 2 more PARTs and then layer PART 1 with PART 4, PART 2 with PART 5 (having a copy of the same bass voice) and PART 3 with PART 6 (again having a copy of the same bass voice).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2015 @ 11:23 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
samson8884 - 19 July 2015 10:13 AM

[...]
On the MOX I know that I could layer sounds in the MIXING mode by setting them to the same MIDI Channel. But is there a way I could use the same PART (in this case Bass on PART 4) layered with PARTs 1, 2 and 3,

Yes, there’s a way, although you’ll have to decide whether it’s practical.

With the MOX in Mixing Edit Mode, select Part 4. Change its Receive Channel to that of whichever other Part you want to layer it. See page 117 of the MOX Reference Manual.

samson8884 -

or do I have to copy the Bass to 2 more PARTs and then layer PART 1 with PART 4, PART 2 with PART 5 (having a copy of the same bass voice) and PART 3 with PART 6 (again having a copy of the same bass voice).

You may find this approach to be easier to use live.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2015 @ 01:40 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

To the OP:  Your intuition and 5pinDIN’s confirmation outline the pairing of a duplicated bass with various leads...on a common MIDI channel...as a known solution to your needs.

You can read more in This Thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2015 @ 05:36 AM
samson8884
Joined  09-10-2012

Thanks a lot for the replies guys!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2015 @ 01:51 AM
samson8884
Joined  09-10-2012

Just an update…
So I decided to go the duplication way. My lead (Right Hand) voices are stored on Tracks 1-8 and the corresponding bass (Left Hand) voice on 9 - 16. Since only 3 PARTS can have insert effects, I made sure to combine voices and create a MIXING setup such that no voice loses its character. I left the insert switch on for voices like Piano, EP and Organ. For the other voices, I was able to use EQ and system effects to make them sound warm and real. I am pretty happy with the result :)

On a side note…
I was not satisfied with the in-build flute sound, so I added a Pan Flute waveform to one of its ELEMENTS. I then turned up the EQ (common) to thicken the low end and brighten the higher frequencies a bit. I also added a slight delay effect on INS A and a distortion to INS B. When I want to add a little grunge and character to the sound, I can turn up the distortion using AS 2 on the control panel. The flute sounds amazing now :) :)… I love my MOX6 hehe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2015 @ 02:58 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Glad you’re having fun!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using MIDI and USB together
Next Topic:

Second keyboard via MIDI in layer mode ››