mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using MIDI and USB together"

Posted on: July 14, 2015 @ 06:03 PM
i2compoze
Total Posts:  4
Joined  04-25-2014

Is it possible to use the MOX plugged in to the computer via USB, but also control another synthesizer through MIDI, and receive the audio from that synth through the MOX audio inputs? Right now I have to continuously change cabling to record from different instruments, but it seems the MOX should be able to handle this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 14, 2015 @ 09:53 PM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013
i2compoze - 14 July 2015 06:03 PM

Is it possible to use the MOX plugged in to the computer via USB, but also control another synthesizer through MIDI, and receive the audio from that synth through the MOX audio inputs?

I believe so.  I’m on the road, so can’t test this as I’ve got both my keyboards connected to my computer via USB connections, not to mention I don’t own MIDI cables.

However, I’m sure if I’ve got something wrong, one of the MOX/MOXF members of this fine forum will chime in…

1. Set MOX MIDI IN/OUT parameter to USB
2. Connect synthesizer MIDI IN to MOX MIDI OUT, synthesizer MIDI OUT to MOX MIDI IN, synthesizer audio outputs to MOX audio inputs
3. Connect MOX USB to computer
4. Open DAW (using Cubase as example)
5. Create MIDI track, Input=Yamaha MOX (Port 1), Output=Yamaha MOX (Port 3)
6. Play MOX (assume you have no issue with understanding how to set your synth’s sound to the right voice, or how to send Program Change to the synth if you want to change synth sounds

SOME BACKGROUND
Lifting copiously from a Bad_Mister response to a similar question (Click Here for the thread)…

When MIDI IN/OUT is set to USB, the 5-pin MIDI jacks act as a way to get MIDI from an external device INTO the computer and a way to get MIDI data from the computer back to that external device; this MIDI data will use the MOX USB’s “Port 3” to communicate with your computer’s software, let’s say a DAW like Cubase.

The MOX USB is a multiple Port interface, for instance:
- The MOX uses PORT 1
- Any External Device using MIDI IN/OUT jacks - when the MOX’ MIDI IN/OUT parameter is set to USB - uses Port 3

When the MIDI IN/OUT is set to USB, any device connected to the MOX MIDI IN will not trigger the MOX, rather its MIDI data travels through the MOX via the USB connection and arrives at the computer via Port 3.

Then when you route the DAW track to Port 3 “Yamaha MOX MIDI OUT” it will not trigger the MOX, rather its MIDI data travels through the MOX and arrives at the 5-pin MIDI OUT jack on the back panel of the MOX and will trigger whatever you connect there.

As the MOX is also an audio interface for an external device connected to its A/D INPUT, you can connect the other synthesizer’s Audio Out to the MOX audio in jacks.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Song Mode question Organ mod wheel
Next Topic:

Need help with re-using a part in MIXING mode ››