mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase AI or full version?"

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 07:37 PM
pblais
Total Posts:  95
Joined  03-05-2015

Hi,

Before I start, let me say that I have 5 different DAWs as it is so I am not looking for another one.

I want to be able to “edit” stuff in my new Motif XS Rack.  Here is my question.
Do I download the free Cubase 7.5 AI or pay for the full blown Cubase 7.5?
I am not even mentioning Cubase 8 Pro or Artist because, from what I read at Steinberg, Cubase 8 is NOT compatible with the Motif editor.
Will Cubase 7.5 AI do the job?

Thank you in advance
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 07:55 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

By edit, do you mean the voices?  You can use the Yamaha provided standalone editor (for Mac or Windows) located here: http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&product_id=774999

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 10:10 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

Thank for your reply. 
The editor you talk about also runs as a VST3 vst inside Cubase.. That’s why I was asking

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 09:47 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 05 March 2015 10:10 PM

[...]The editor you talk about also runs as a VST3 vst inside Cubase.. That’s why I was asking

There are two editors which will run either as VST or Standalone:

MOTIF-RACK XS Editor Standalone/VST V1.6.5 for Mac OS X:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/21037

MOTIF-RACK XS Editor Standalone/VST V1.6.3 for Windows:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/21038

Since your member profile indicates you’re using Windows 7, the second one would be appropriate.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 02:29 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 06 March 2015 09:47 AM

There are two editors which will run either as VST or Standalone:

MOTIF-RACK XS Editor Standalone/VST V1.6.5 for Mac OS X:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/21037

MOTIF-RACK XS Editor Standalone/VST V1.6.3 for Windows:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/21038

Since your member profile indicates you’re using Windows 7, the second one would be appropriate.

Thanks again for the help..  I have downloaded and installed the one you recommended.  If I read you right, with that editor, I don’t even need to worry about having Cubase?

Thanks
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 03:22 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 06 March 2015 02:29 PM

Thanks again for the help..

You’re welcome.

pblais -

I have downloaded and installed the one you recommended.  If I read you right, with that editor, I don’t even need to worry about having Cubase?

That’s correct, it will run independently.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2015 @ 11:28 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

It is always good to go step by step. You could try Cubase AI, it worth time. And if you consider that it has enough for your recording, that’s it. Than you could pay a little more for upgrade from AI to Cubase Elements. Now you could directly save your recordings to MP3 and FLACS formats, just to mention some of features.
I have upgraded my Cubase to full version 7.5 and I’m pretty satisfied.
I still don’t have plans to move to Pro 8 version, since it still don’t support Yamaha synths that I’m using.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2015 @ 01:08 AM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
nbadesign - 07 March 2015 11:28 AM

It is always good to go step by step. You could try Cubase AI, it worth time. And if you consider that it has enough for your recording, that’s it. Than you could pay a little more for upgrade from AI to Cubase Elements. Now you could directly save your recordings to MP3 and FLACS formats, just to mention some of features.
I have upgraded my Cubase to full version 7.5 and I’m pretty satisfied.
I still don’t have plans to move to Pro 8 version, since it still don’t support Yamaha synths that I’m using.

Alex

Thank you for your feed back Alex.
I was under the impression that the reason one would use Cubase is to be able to use Yamaha editor as a VST instead of standalone.
So, if I want to “directly save my recordings to MP3”, I can use Sonar or any other DAW.  I just won’t be able to access the Yamaha editor from within that DAW.

Right?

Thanks again
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2015 @ 12:07 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Thank you for your feed back Alex.
I was under the impression that the reason one would use Cubase is to be able to use Yamaha editor as a VST instead of standalone.
So, if I want to “directly save my recordings to MP3”, I can use Sonar or any other DAW.  I just won’t be able to access the Yamaha editor from within that DAW.

Right?

Thanks again
Pierre

If you just need to save you recordings to MP3, you could use freeware application Audacity. Cubase AI is nice since it is well connected with Yamaha gear. That’s why it goes free with Yamaha hardware. You don’t need it to work with Yamaha Editor since it could be used as a standalone, but it’s nice since you could call all your voices from MediaBay without need for a separate USB sticks. You should check Bad Mister’s text about “Adding voice libraries to Cubase as a VST presets” at yamahasynth.com.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2015 @ 01:55 PM
angelonyc
Total Posts:  20
Joined  07-20-2009

I use the stand alone Motif XS rack with Logic.. It acts very well.. You can set up several tracks, different sounds, paramaters, save as a set up.. one click and XS rack is all set..  I had the Mlan, had limited success.. seemed like Logic wanted only one sound card ( I suspect I may have been missing some here. making a aggregiate device..

I would also enter the direcdt parameters into Logic, MSB/LSB/Prog, numueous CC events.. More work but one less step in debugging problems.. In general the Motix XS editor works quite well.. I use with a a Tyros 5 kbd, and the sounds between the two machines, complement each other quite welll.. Yamaha reall has their ‘mixer engineering stuff together. Multiple Yamaha tracks always complement each other better than any other machine.. I used every brand of kbd/module.. While the Korg can be quite striking.. But soon as you pile up six Korg tracks, it is quite a balancing act to make these sounds work homogenously..

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Mode remote switching ?
Next Topic:

Signal Routing ››