mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF usb Sound quality."

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 11:08 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi guys, how ya’ been, GREAT I hope :)

I record my vocals through a Universal Audio Twin Duo and what goes in comes out the same (unfortunately :) )

That being said, when I record an Audio Track from my MOXF, I use usb.

Before I record an Instrument, say a Grand Piano, I edit the output to 127 and the Piano sounds BEAUTIFUL when I’m playing/recording/monitoring the track.

But when I play the recorded track back, the Piano sounds NOTHING like it does/did when I’m playing it.

Specifically, it doesn’t have the fidelity or the tone of the Piano Voice that I know it truly has.

Is this a usb vs analog sound quality debate?

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 01:03 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hey Jerry.

What mode on your MOXF do you use when you record your piano?

When you listen back to your recording from Logic, what do you play it back though? ...your MOXF or your Universal Audio Twin Duo?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 01:08 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hello buddy :)

Long time no talk to, but I’ve been recording new songs with no glitches so far :)

By Mode, do you mean the Voice Mode or Performance?

If so, I’m using a Voice and set the LPX Track to Input 3 & 4.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 01:11 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Happy to hear that,

If you’re using Voice mode, we can rule out the possibility of the FX systems in Song Mode changing the sound, then.

I added a second question to my post whilst you were typing yours.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 02:17 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Sorry to take so long to reply, I had to take care of some business at work :)

If I record the MOXF by usb, I use the MOXF as the input and output device.

If I record vocals over the Audio Tracks, I use the Apollo as input and output device.

When recording the MOXF Piano last night, I think I used the MOXF as input device and the Apollo as the output device.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 04:03 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You don’t seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary.

Could you make an audio file of a recording of the piano and attach it to a post?

Just a few seconds or so?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 04:27 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

I’ll do it ASAP :)

Phil, between me and you, would I do better just going out the MOXF analog outs and going into the Apollo’s analog inputs?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 05:30 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That’s what I do. I USB when I have no other choice.

You obviously can’t go 4 mono out or two stereo pairs at once with analogue, but it’s fine by me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 05:58 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

You have a million times more experience at recording than I do, but even I have recognized that perhaps using the analog outs of the MOXF is just faster in the work flow.

As it is now, I have to turn on the interfaces in a specific order (the MOXF and the Apollo) to use one or the other
correctly.

Plus, and you’ll be proud of me for this, I only record one track at a time now :)

I would ideally like to have a device (similar to a Mixer?) that I could plug multiple keyboards and my mic into, and that device would connect to my Apollo.

As the Apollo Twin only has two inputs, can you recommend a device that I can plug my mic and multiple keyborads into?

My existing vocal path (a tube mic directly into the Apollo and using a Neve 1073 plug in) is working great, and hopefully this device will not add another preamp, that in my mind, would be a pre amp into another pre amp, and I’m assuming (uh-oh) that would not be good :)

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 06:44 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I see.

The Duo has those Nuetrik combo inputs doesn’t it, to save space, so you can plug your XLRs and jacks into the same input (one at a time).  What that means is you have even less inputs overall than a device with two separate line inputs and two separate XLR mic inputs.

So, instead of being 4 in and 2 out, it’s actually 4 in (but only 2 at a time) and 2 out.

Remember, none of this stuff fixes the initial problem you’re having with USB recording, so you might want to get on top of that, simply because it may pop up and bite you on the butt in the future when you absolutely need to use it.

In terms of adding something before your Duo to give you more inputs; that idea seems like a bit of a fudge to my mind:

1 - No matter how many inputs you have on your newly purchased box, the audio will ultimately have to cascade down to 2 output channels, a left and a right for input into the Duo.

2 - Because of that, you can’t record multiple keyboards and mics simultaneously to their own discrete tracks in Logic .

To my mind, Jerry, what you really need is a new interface with as many inputs as you need on it.

I know you like the Duo and it really is an awesome interface, but I think you need something a bit bigger to cater for your needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 07:47 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

The interface is actually a Universal Audio Twin DUO and it has two XLR inputs on the back and one 1/4” unbalanced input on the front.

As an aside, it does have a single optical socket that:

1) Can be configured to accept a stereo S/PDIF input.
2) Can be configured to accept up to eight channels of 24-bit digital audio in ADAT format (depending on sample rate.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2015 @ 08:08 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Sorry Jerry, I have duet / duo name confusion :-)

I was talking about the Duo, in actual fact.

You’ll see that the XLR inputs are actually combo inputs and the spec is as I suggested.

The one input on the front is irrelevant to you because you’ll do most things in stereo.

I forgot about the ADAT though.

The ADAT connection option might afford you some external box possibilities, such as a multiple pre amp (something like an Octopre MKII for example).

If I were you though, I’d sell the Duo and buy an interface with enough inputs, in all honesty.

How many keyboards do you want to plug into an interface at once?

(I’ve edited the interface name in my previous post)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2015 @ 01:11 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

At this point I’d be happy if I could just pick up two extra inputs for the MOXF :)

A thought occurred to me (uh oh).

If I can plug my mic into channel one on the Duo and use the Neve plugin, will using X new Interface allow me to input the MOXF and not go through any pre by using the ADAT in?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2015 @ 09:53 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Yes, there’s no reason why that wouldn’t work.

Your MOXF would go through whatever pre is built into your new box.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2015 @ 10:47 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Sorry, I meant will the MOXF (going through X new Interface) share the same pre that I’m using on vocals or can I use a totally different pre (or the Neve with a different setup than the vocal setup)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2015 @ 11:06 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

No, because your ADAT link to your Duo is purely digital.

There will be a pre on your new box, and that’s what your MOXF will use, then it wil be sent digtally to your Duo..

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2