mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF LFO on Modulator wheel"

Posted on: June 25, 2015 @ 10:15 PM
wsurfr
Total Posts:  3
Joined  02-16-2014

Hello,

I am playing around with the Wind Synth voice preset and (as most mono synth voices) the mod wheel seems to turn vibrato smoothly on and off. how can I make it control the vibrato speed (from 0 to a certain value) instead?

I looked at the LFO settings in common edit, but changing the speed did not have any effect.

Thank you,

-Jorge

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2015 @ 11:43 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

There are two levels at which an LFO can be applied, Common and Element. For the Voice in question (PRE5 D08), the Controller Set assignment for the MW Destination is E-LFO PMD, and the Depth is set to +20. That means the MW controls the depth of Element LFO Pitch Modulation, and it’s why changing the Common LFO speed had no effect.

To have the MW control the Element LFO speed, first the Controller Set Destination should be set to E-LFO speed - see page 32 of the MOXF Reference Manual. The Depth can be left at +20 for now, or could be changed later if you want a different range of speed control.

Next, the LFO Speed for each active Element (1~3) should be changed from 38 to 0(zero), which allows the speed to be zero with the MW all the way down. Then set the Pitch Modulation Depth for each of the three Elements to 75, which should result in about the same depth as when the MW was at maximum with the original Voice programming. See page 45 of the Reference Manual for those two settings. You could change PMod Depth from 75 to another value if desired.

If you want to keep the edited Voice, be sure to STORE it to a User location.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2015 @ 10:55 AM
wsurfr
Total Posts:  3
Joined  02-16-2014

It Works!

Now, when going to each element, I also noticed that their individual LFOs were turned off (speed=0). What is the difference between triggering any element modulation from the common set and the individual element LFO settings? Does the mod wheel only drive the common parameters?

Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2015 @ 12:39 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
wsurfr - 27 June 2015 10:55 AM

It Works!

Great, although I did sort of expect it to work, since I checked it on my Motif XF, which has that same Wind Synth Voice.  :-)

wsurfr -

Now, when going to each element, I also noticed that their individual LFOs were turned off (speed=0).

Setting the Element LFO Speed to zero doesn’t actually turn it off. What it does is allow the speed set by the controller (MW in this case) to start at zero and change from that point as the MW is advanced. You had asked for that - “how can I make it control the vibrato speed (from 0 to a certain value)...?”. The maximum speed the MW allows is determined by the +20 Depth setting - changing that would cause the maximum to be higher or lower.

wsurfr -

What is the difference between triggering any element modulation from the common set and the individual element LFO settings? Does the mod wheel only drive the common parameters?

The programming I suggested for the MW controls LFO speed on a per-Element basis. The “E” in E-LFO refers to Element. It allows for individual control over each Element.

If a C-LFO (C=Common) Destination is chosen, then all the Elements would be affected simultaneously.

See page 118 of the MOXF Data List for Controller Set Destinations.
MOXF6/MOXF8 Data List:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/60483

Don’t be afraid to experiment with the settings - you won’t break anything.

wsurfr -

Thank you!

You’re welcome - I hope that helps clarify things somewhat.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New User: Setting foot switch from Arpeggio to Modulation
Next Topic:

FC5 double click ››