mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Website for popular song set ups"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: May 13, 2015 @ 11:20 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

To add to Mr. Motif’s excellent reply, and to
clarify things..Performances require Voices.
A Performance of a popular song needs voices
which are the specific sounds for the song.
Those voices usually need to be made “from
scratch” because for the most part they dont
exist in the factory voice set. Hence, one
has to first program the voices for a song before
putting them in a Performance for that song.
Since some songs feature at least 12 to 16
or more sounds, you at times need to have
multiple Performances for a song, since
each performance can only have four parts
(voices) maximum.

This is why I stated that programming for
specific songs involves making voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 10:45 AM
Halion76
Total Posts:  63
Joined  03-13-2015

My face was priceless when I had a quick look on the site for the first time last night since I originally posted the question!! :D

I don’t think I really explained myself properly with my original post and I can remember I posted it rather quickly.......so here is take 2!!

I appreciate Dave’s point regarding “making voices”.....if that was what I was actually looking for.  When I first spotted the reply I was a little taken aback by the “it’s your job....”, yeah I know exactly what my job is as I’m an experienced keyboard player having been playing piano since the age of 3....and I’m now 38!!  Anyway, I digress - I understand that my original post may have caused some confusion.

I was solely talking about “performances”.  Not any 3rd party voices etc., or carving out my own in any way.  Even with that, I should have explained myself a little better.  My time (I’m sure like many...) is at a premium.  Work 9-5, married, carer for a relative, band, social life.....it’s rather hectic!!  All good though and I’m certainly not complaining.  What my original post was intended for was not looking for split points or actual performance setups but more a heads up for what sounds available on the MOXF would suit a particular song.

For instance, in Uptown Funk - I was wondering what would be the nearest as possible synth and brass suitable for that song?  With the thousands of sounds available (and with me adding more with the likes of “inspiration in a flash") I was just hoping that somewhere there may have been a list of appropriate sounds for specific songs.  All sounds from presets on the MOXF.  While they may not be 100% accurate I’d like to think with the plethora of sounds onboard most areas would be covered close enough.

Yeah, it was a long shot but that’s the type of thing I was wondering incase I was missing something even on motifator itself tucked away somewhere I haven’t seen.

Just a quick aside regarding this website.  I’ve lurked for a while but have posted a few queries and it has been a wonderful resource for me, 5pin in particular has been so helpful.  I understand the business model and I see nothing wrong with it at all.  If someone spends a large chunk of their time creating sounds then they deserve to be rewarded for that if they wish to.  I think the other poster who seemed to get himself tangled up in a bit of a “debate” on this point was simply talking about the old adage “it’s good to share”......but only if it’s legal and everyone is in agreement.

My original query was not related to any 3rd party sounds or voice creation and apologies for not putting some more meat on the bones of my original post and explaining myself a little better.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2015 @ 08:24 AM
rhuff
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-23-2012

I like the gist of the OP’s idea: as I read it, a website for shared experiences on how we, as a community, solved specific sound problems.

Interestingly, the Cool Sounds guy he saw on Youtube, Hans-Peter Henkel writes for Yamaha Europe’s “Music Production Guide” and started a series here that sounds pretty close to what the OP is asking for.  It’s not a website, but a batch of starter presets.

The series of articles I’m referring to, starts a discussion about using Performances and Song Mixings for live keyboard performance.  They build up presets around a list of popular and classic songs.  p.29 has the link, username, and password to get to the rest of the issues.  All of the issues are quite good.

The downloads are written with files for both MOXF and MOTIF XF.

I still like the idea of a website. To the other posters’ points, I think the proposed website could be made even better by requiring no additional samples—only the ROM.  Work with what you’ve got!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2015 @ 01:06 PM
Halion76
Joined  03-13-2015

Thanks for that mate.  You’re on the same page as me.  I’m not looking for anything outside of what sounds are already available on the MOXF/Motif XF.  As I said, I have the likes of inspiration in a flash added but I was never talking about samples outside the standard rom we’re supplied.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2015 @ 01:54 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Specifying that only material based on ROM contents would be acceptable doesn’t address the entire issue. Lets’ say I obtain a commercial library of Voices which are based on ROM samples. I then create my own Performances using those Voices. If I released those “self-made” Performances, I’d be distributing the commercial Voices.

In order to avoid that possibility, those running the website would have to carefully inspect all Performances and the Voices used for the Parts in every file. Unless someone develops software to automate that process, it would be a monumental task.

I’m not saying the concept of sharing Performances is a non-starter, just that keeping it “clean” wouldn’t be as simple as it might seem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2015 @ 06:17 AM
Halion76
Joined  03-13-2015

I’m not even talking about sharing actual performances.....more a guide to a suitable (stock) sound in the keyboard.  Sharing some performances would be great too, on the basis that the contributors were well versed in “only use the stock rom” and reliable.  I know that is easier said than done but, as I said, my initial point was more along the lines of just information for which sounds to use for classic/pop songs.  I have created my own brass, blues harp and piano for “Soul Man” so songs like that are fine.......but as an example I’m a bit stuck below:

We’re doing the Olly Murs song “wrapped up”. In the middle 8 once the string chords are coming to an end there is a little rising sound effect......I can’t seem to replicate it on the MOXF.  It would be handy if someone said - I use strings “quick bows” but for the sound affect I use “?? ??”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niLMQsD9ZG4

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Converting .sty tracks to arp
Next Topic:

Fading in a part in Performance Mode ››