mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Ethernet connection - direct or via router. Which is best?"

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 10:54 AM
Melodialworks
Total Posts:  157
Joined  06-13-2009

I’m working on connecting Motif XF to the computer via Ethernet.

My understanding is:

Direct connection: Computer to Motif (requires crossover type cable).

Connection via router: Computer to Router to Motif (requires “straight through” cable).

My Mac Pro has a second Ethernet port available (the first one is being used to connect to the router).

Is there any difference in how I should connect (using the appropriate cable)? That is, is one method superior, easier, more stable than the other?

I will be very excited to get networking working, since then it will mean I won’t have to constantly move the Motif every time I need to insert / remove USB key.

Lawrence

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 11:21 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Melodialworks - 30 April 2015 10:54 AM

I’m working on connecting Motif XF to the computer via Ethernet.

My understanding is:

Direct connection: Computer to Motif (requires crossover type cable).

Connection via router: Computer to Router to Motif (requires “straight through” cable).

In theory, that’s true. In practice, modern network interfaces usually have enough “smarts” to deal with either cable type.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Dependent_Interface#Auto_MDI-X

Melodialworks -

My Mac Pro has a second Ethernet port available (the first one is being used to connect to the router).

Is there any difference in how I should connect (using the appropriate cable)? That is, is one method superior, easier, more stable than the other?

I’m not a “Mac guy”, but in general I tend to prefer direct connections when possible.

Melodialworks -

I will be very excited to get networking working, since then it will mean I won’t have to constantly move the Motif every time I need to insert / remove USB key.

I have my Motifs networked, and it’s definitely convenient.

By the way, if you haven’t already done so, you might consider connecting a multi-port USB hub to the XF’s TO DEVICE port. That way, you could not only leave a USB drive (or more than one) connected, but also have an ASCII USB keyboard attached at the same time. An ASCII keyboard can make certain operations much easier than using the XF’s front panel controls.

Of course, if the entire problem is just poor accessibility to the XF’s rear panel, a USB extension cable solves that without any of the above.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 05:54 PM
Melodialworks
Joined  06-13-2009

I agree and connecting directly seems to be my preference as well, and makes sense since I have the available ethernet port on my computer.

I’ve ordered a “cross over” cable which will be available tomorrow, and will then see if I can configure using the computer to Motif setup.

I would like to get networking working, but in the interim, YES using a USB extension cable makes things much more accessible!

Why the heck didn’t I think of that? :)

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Lawrence

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2015 @ 07:47 PM
Melodialworks
Joined  06-13-2009

OK, I have my cross-over cable now.

Followed these instructions:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/ethernet_connection_motif_xs_motif_xf

However, where it says

“ADDRESS
Because DHCP is ON all these settings will be made for you.”

The fields are in fact blank.
They are:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Gateway
DNS 1
DNS 2

Getting error message from Motif “Can’t access to the host”.

System Preferences/Network on Mac is indicating “connected” but the status is yellow.

I’m on Mac OS 10.10.3 (I’ve also tried with Firewall turned off).

Any ideas? Do I have to manually populate the ADDRESS fields or change the MAC settings?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2015 @ 03:04 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Melodialworks - 01 May 2015 07:47 PM

[...]"ADDRESS

They are:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Gateway
DNS 1
DNS 2

Getting error message from Motif “Can’t access to the host”.[...]

When DHCP is “on” it’s normal for those fields to be blank.

As I’ve said before, I’m not a “Mac guy”. On a PC, I’ve been able to get Ethernet to work with DHCP “on”. Currently, with it “off”, I manually set the IP Address and Subnet Mask - Gateway, DNS 1, and DNS 2 are all zeros.

Hopefully someone who successfully set up Ethernet with a Mac will post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2015 @ 12:48 AM
neel_tankpac
Total Posts:  44
Joined  08-04-2012

Hi,

I also recently tried to connect my Motif XF directly to a Windows 7 box via a cross over cable, and got the same error message. I found that the Windows firewall was enabled for the Motif network. On disabling the firewall it worked fine.

Another thing I would like to point out is that , I had also connected the Windows machine to the internet via wireless, and had no issues with the Motif setup because of this wireless network. The reason I am pointing this out is, in some article I came across it was mentioned that we need to disable the wireless network before connecting directly to Motif, which I think is not required.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2015 @ 07:00 AM
selfymart
Total Posts:  52
Joined  03-30-2014
Melodialworks - 01 May 2015 07:47 PM

OK, I have my cross-over cable now.

Followed these instructions:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/ethernet_connection_motif_xs_motif_xf

However, where it says

“ADDRESS

They are:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Gateway
DNS 1
DNS 2

Getting error message from Motif “Can’t access to the host”.

System Preferences/Network on Mac is indicating “connected” but the status is yellow.

I’m on Mac OS 10.10.3 (I’ve also tried with Firewall turned off).

Any ideas? Do I have to manually populate the ADDRESS fields or change the MAC settings?

If there is no dhcp server to assign IPs to both hosts then you need to manually assign ip and netmask. The rest are not required. Make sure you assign Unique IPs.
Ex
Motif 10.10.10.11
Computer 10.10.10.12
Netmask 255.255.255.0 for both

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XF6 slow program change
Next Topic:

John Melas XF/XS Tools Complete Pack - WOW!!! ››