mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using foot switch to change the active midi channel in mixing mode motif xs"

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 05:05 AM
vaspat90
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-25-2014

Hello everybody. I’m using a mixing setup for a live performance with a different voice on each of the first 7 midi channels. I only need to play the voices live (one at a time), but I need to change from one midi channel to the next one very quickly. I am currently doing that trying to press the dedicated midi channel number buttons, but for some changes I just don’t seem to have enough time to get my hand off the keyboard and press the right midi channel button safely.
So, I am wondering, is there any way I could assign the assignable foot switch to go from one midi channel to the next one?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 06:38 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, what you are asking about can’t be done. See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/450420/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/456253/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 05:01 PM
vaspat90
Joined  04-25-2014

Thank you very much for the fast response.
As I was looking into the various controller assignments I just realized that I haven’t really figured out how Control Sets actually work yet.
I experimented with the following for example:

In voice mode, “Sweeper" (PRE 3: 121)
I press Edit --> Ctrl Set
and set the source to “Assign 1” and destination to “HPF cutoff”
(I know there is a dedicated knob for that, but just to test...)

Then I press UTILITY --> Voice --> Control and try out some Control numbers for “Assign 1” to see if anything will do.
cc16 “General Controller 1” doesn’t work, but cc17 “General Controller 2” seems to adjust the Chorus depth (probably some parameter of Insertion A effect?) independently of my destination setting in Voice Edit! And then I get really confused…

I would really appreciate any help or reference about how things work. And about the actual defference between the “General Controller 1-8” Control Sets (cc16-19 and cc80-83). Thanks again for everything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 05:38 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Are you familiar with This Article?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 06:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vaspat90 - 26 May 2015 05:01 PM

Thank you very much for the fast response.

You’re welcome.

vaspat90 -

As I was looking into the various controller assignments I just realized that I haven’t really figured out how Control Sets actually work yet.
I experimented with the following for example:

In voice mode, “Sweeper" (PRE 3: 121)
I press Edit --> Ctrl Set
and set the source to “Assign 1” and destination to “HPF cutoff”
(I know there is a dedicated knob for that, but just to test...)

The “HPF cutoff” assignment and the dedicated “Cutoff” knob are not the same.

“HPF cutoff” is only active when appropriate filter types are used, and then the Assign 1 setting is an offset to the Parameter. See pages 118 and 119 of the XS Owner’s Manual. Also, the Element Switch has to be on (pages 128 and 104) - for “Sweeper”, Assign 1 is not on for either Element 1 or 2. Lastly, the Depth has to be set sufficiently high so that adjusting the knob will be noticeable. If you select a proper filter type, turn on Element Switches, and increase the Depth, then Assign 1 knob will work as expected.

vaspat90 -

Then I press UTILITY --> Voice --> Control and try out some Control numbers for “Assign 1” to see if anything will do.

Sorry, but that button sequence doesn’t make sense.

Are you referring to Controller Assign, as on page 264 of the manual?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 07:27 PM
vaspat90
Joined  04-25-2014

@5pinDIN

First of all thank you for clarifying the difference between the two “cutoffs”; indeed I got it wrong. Apart from that, yes I did set Assign 1 on for all elements and also set the Depth to +63. I guess I didn’t get the “proper filter type” part right. Which means, of course, that I have yet to understand some basic things here.

As for the button sequence I will describe it once more as specifically as I can:

While in Voice Edit, I press UTILITY, then F3 “Voice” and then SF3 “Control”. And, yes, page 264 of the manual it is.

@cmayhle

I had read that article in the past (probably not very carefully) and now, even though I did my search before posting here, “I took it for granted” and did not read it again. It seems like it’s going to explain a lot. Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 08:33 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vaspat90 - 26 May 2015 07:27 PM

@5pinDIN

First of all thank you for clarifying the difference between the two “cutoffs”; indeed I got it wrong. Apart from that, yes I did set Assign 1 on for all elements and also set the Depth to +63. I guess I didn’t get the “proper filter type” part right. Which means, of course, that I have yet to understand some basic things here.

The Motif allows you to assign controllers that might not do anything unless other Parameters are correct. In the case of “HPF cutoff”, unless one of the two filter types which have that Parameter (LPF12+HPF12 and LPF6+HPF6) are used for at least one of the active Elements, nothing can happen because “HPF cutoff” doesn’t exist in the other filter types.

In general, you normally wouldn’t make an assignment unless you knew it was something you wanted to control. I think the confusion was because you chose an assignment at random.

vaspat90 -

As for the button sequence I will describe it once more as specifically as I can:

While in Voice Edit, I press UTILITY, then F3 “Voice” and then SF3 “Control”. And, yes, page 264 of the manual it is.

Sorry, that confusion was all mine. I have both an XS6 and an XF6, and while they’re very similar in most respects, access to that particular screen display is slightly different on the XF, which is what I was thinking of. It’s also a more global setting, not just applicable to Voice mode as in the XS. The button sequence you posted is correct for the XS.

These might help:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/controller_assignments
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/444889/
http://download.yamaha.com/file/8622 page 51

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sample load time
Next Topic:

XS7 arpegiator?? for "Feels Like the First Time" Foreigner ››