mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sample load time"

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 01:43 PM
Hummus
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-23-2015

Hello, it’s my first post here.
I am considering getting a second hand Motif XS.
I currently have a Kurzweil K2661, a Nord Stage EX73 and a Roland Jupiter-50. The Jupiter sits in the dark, I barely touch it anymore and I want to replace it with a workstation that has bigger sample memory. The Kurzweil’s great but it has only 128 Megs and the load times are half decent.
Whilst not can I afford a new or even an used Motif XF, the XS seems like a very good contestant.
I was hot on the Fantom X\G before. It changed when I realised the X loads samples in horrible times, and the G lacks many sounds from the X with the SRX expansions. I have read that the loading times are really ahead of the Fantom X, but with no more specific info etc. If someone can help and enlighten the subject, please do!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 02:16 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

Loading a 512MB file to the XS takes roughly 3:50. I believe the time is similar to that of the Fantom G, although I don’t own one. I think the Fantom X takes around 5 times longer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 02:23 PM
Hummus
Joined  05-23-2015

Thank you. 3:50 minutes is pretty good. The Fantom X takes 15-20 minutes, and some people claimed that it took them nearly half an hour.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 06:04 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Hi and welcome to Motifator.com.

The XS is a fine instrument and its sample load times are pretty respectable. If you can’t quite run to a Motif XF you might want to consider the MOXF, which, like the Motif XF, stores sample in Flash memory that has no discernible load time at all. We have just added the Mutec Flashboards to the shop, too, which are a little more affordable if you’re on a tight budget.

Just to give you options.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2015 @ 06:16 AM
Hummus
Joined  05-23-2015

Thank you, MrMotif. I tried the MoXF, didn’t like it. Neither it has 76 keys. Thanks again you two, I will gladly take a Motif XS7 as I’ll trace one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2015 @ 02:41 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

You’re welcome and a perfectly sensible choice. MOXF offers some XF feature/opportunities but the XS is a sturdier build and a more powerful instrument overall, as it should be given the original price difference. Yes, the ‘7’ is an interesting and often good compromise of keyboard, agreed. You get a little more room to stretch out without having the potentially back-breaking prospect of an 8/weight.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 12:50 PM
Hummus
Joined  05-23-2015

As for respectable loading times - Pretty damn respectable. Tested a 113 megs file on my good ole’ Kurzie. 4:43 mins. If The XS loads 512 megs in less than 4 minutes, then It’s more than fine for me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 01:26 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Hummus - 26 May 2015 12:50 PM

[...] If The XS loads 512 megs in less than 4 minutes, then It’s more than fine for me.

It does, with average data. There’s some minor variation, depending on whether the 512 MB is made up of a lot of smaller samples or just a few larger ones, but I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

Just to verify what I posted before, I loaded the 382 MB XSpand Your World file to my XS6. It took 2:52 to load, which without doing any calculations seems about right.

[ Ignore ]