mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Question about odd “D3” sound????"

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 02:20 AM
djrasta78
Total Posts:  5
Joined  05-26-2015

Hello all, I have what might be strange question. I am not sure if it’s just me but in my opinion, the D3 key on my moxf8 sounds odd in most pianos voices and some of the other sounds as well. It has a sort of deep airy boomy bass that not even the lower keys next to it like C3 B3 or even C# or even E3 as you go higher has. As i play downwards, or upwards on the keyboard it “hits” with bass that my feet can feel on my hardwoods then it just drops off as I hit the other keys and I don’t feel on even many of the lower keys. It is weird because I do not hear it on my headphones, only my monitors. Now one may think it is the monitors, but I bought the Yamaha HS5 monitors then returned them and got a slight “upgrade” in the Adams A5 but both monitors have the same thing going on. I live in a 600 square foot condo so 5 inchers are enough.

I made some adjustments on the monitors themselves with the EQ and it didn’t really help. If I make some adjustments on the keyboards themselves it does help, but I really have to kill the bass and mess with the mid and it really detracts for the original sound which i hate doing because everything sounds great. I will say D2 somewhat has the same thing going on, but in my opinion its not nearly has noticeable. Besides that everything else sounds great and when I have several instruments playing at once I don’t seem to notice it. Just wondering if anybody else has had the same issue and or if anybody had any advice as its a bit annoying.

Thanks in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2015 @ 07:33 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

You either have a room that resonates at the “D3” frequency, or you have a specific hearing oversensitivity to that frequency.

There is nothing “wrong” with the D3 or D2 keys, or any voices that you call up and play a D3 or D2. The answer to the “is it just me” question is, yes, it most likely is. Or, it’s your room.

Untreated rooms can have all kinds of sonic weirdness. For proper listening you need to acoustically treat them...you know - “studio-ize” your room.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2015 @ 07:05 AM
rhuff
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-23-2012

Since you’re getting emphasis with two different pair of monitors and not over your headphones, my guess is that you have something wrong with your room.  It’s probably easily fixed.  Here’s what I would do:

1. Record the nastiest D3 you can think of into the sequencer—30 seconds or so.
2. Play it back a moderate volume.
3. Walk around the room and see if you can find the object that is singing back.

Good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2015 @ 12:43 AM
djrasta78
Joined  05-26-2015

Thanks for the guys! I agree that it is something with my room. I will take your advise and see what I can do!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2015 @ 06:02 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

What are the dimensions of the room - length, width, height?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2015 @ 07:09 PM
djrasta78
Joined  05-26-2015
5pinDIN - 02 June 2015 06:02 AM

I just realized that you responded to this post. Anyways, my length and width of my living room is about 14 by 17 and just under 8 feet in height. Thanks
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2015 @ 07:10 PM
djrasta78
Joined  05-26-2015
5pinDIN - 02 June 2015 06:02 AM

I should also state that I don’t have any treatment done to my room as my MOXF is in my living room.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2015 @ 08:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
djrasta78 - 16 November 2015 07:09 PM

[...]my length and width of my living room is about 14 by 17 and just under 8 feet in height. Thanks

More precise dimensions than “about” would be better. If you have a chance to obtain them, this can be helpful:
http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

[ Ignore ]