mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Another MOFX Newbie with a few questions"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 03:50 PM
midinut
Total Posts:  93
Joined  02-21-2009

Hey everyone. I used to have a Motif ES6 up until about 3 years ago. I recently acquired a MOXF6 with a 512MB Flash Board and the Yamaha Premium Collection. I seem to remember bad mister posting an article about memory management and another about flash board. I found the flash board article but cannot seem to locate the one about managing your memory in the MOXF series. A pointer or link to that would be much appreciated. When I originally saw it I didn’t save it because I didn’t own a Yamaha at the time.

I’m having some issues loading in the Premium Collection. I’ve read the articles BM wrote about them and start by formatting the card. It loads the samples fine, but not the Voices or Performances. I’m sure my problem lies in the assigning the Voices to User3 instead of User4 banks but can’t seem to get to a point where it asks me where I want to load the sounds. It just tries to load them and I got nothing. Any pointers would be appreciates. I’m dying to try Chick’s Mark V and the CS80 collection as well as the other stuff that came with it.

I also have an M-Audio Keystation 88 MIDI’d up to the MOXF6 with a 5-pin DIN cable. It was working fine when I first hooked it up, but once I loaded the Yamaha drivers, the Editor, and the remote software, it quit working. Of course I am using a USB cable between the MOXF and the laptop, but is it taking over the MIDI connection and not letting the DIN MIDI work any more? I’m looking forward to setting up some performances where I can have piano/epiano played from the 88 and synth and organ sounds from the MOXF6. Is this still possible, or is the way I have things hooked up going to prevent me from doing that?

Sorry to be so lengthy. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 05:52 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Sounds like you could save yourself a lot of time and trouble with the MOXF In ‘n’ Out video/DVD

This is also available as a download from our sister site Keyfax.com.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 06:11 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

If you’re loading the files as Type “All”, then you won’t be able to direct loading of the banks. See “1BankVoice” on page 156 of the MOXF Reference Manual. Loading that way will allow selection of source and destination bank.

For usage of the 5-pin DIN ports when the MOXF is connected for USB MIDI, see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/473884/

I hope that helps. If you need details, just ask.

You might also consider getting the video MrMotif suggested.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 10:18 PM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

I downloaded the In & Out Video and will watch it over the next few days. Thanks for the tip. Regarding the ALL file, you are correct. That’s what I did. I’m going back now and will try to load just the Voices. I’ll let you know how that works out. Thanks for the help guys!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 10:32 PM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

Another quick question about the video. It downloaded as an MP4 file. Windows Media Player is “supposed” to play .mp4 files but when I try to open it, it won’t play. This is the message I get:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Any ideas or suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2015 @ 03:04 AM
DHTech
Total Posts:  62
Joined  11-20-2014

Sounds like windows media player doesn’t have the correct video codec, download either GOM or VLC Player, these are free and should player the file for you (Search for them on google).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 01:45 PM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

Turns out the video file was corrupted. I tried downloading it again and it stopped halfway through the download. When I hit resume it just quit. So I guess I’ll have to wait for Tuesday for KeyFax to open back up and help me sort it all out. Seems like you’re only allowed 2 download attempts from your email link. I’ll get it sorted out eventually. In the meantime, I’m really enjoying playing this thing!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 03:11 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Are you sure your internet connection isn’t dropping out periodically?

That would be enough to corrupt a download if it happens well into or towards the end of a large file like a movie.

As DHTech says, use VLC when you do get it down, it will play pretty much anything, codecwise.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2015 @ 02:29 AM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

Update:

Got the video downloaded. I called Keyfax and she sent me a link immediately and it worked fine. As a matter of fact, I got the other MOX video by BM (Discovering the MOX) as it went into more detail than the In N’ Out video did. I learned a lot over the last few days. Brain hurts, but Keyfax has some awesome Customer Service!

Still can’t seem to get my audio inputs to work. I plug a mic into either L or R jacks, go to Utility, Other, and set the input to mic (not line). Turn on the button next to the gain knob and raise the gain and I got nothin’. I’m anxious to try out the vocoder and try to record some guitar tracks as well.

Still trying to get Chick’s Mark V to load without any success. When I try to load from User Bank 4 to USR3 on the MOXF, I get a file not found error. Don’t understand why. I’ll pull it off the DVD again and retry it. Does it have to be in the root directory of the flash drive or can it be in a folder? I can’t imagine it making any difference. Having the same problems with several of the Premium Collection libraries. The CS-80 bank won’t load, the CP1 won’t load either. I bought a Vintage Keys, B’s Knees, and the 80s Pop/Rock series from the shop and they load fine (so far). Really pisses me off. I consider myself fairly computer literate.

Setting up Performances was either a little easier for me on my old ES6 or maybe I was just used to it working a certain way and got used to it. Seems to be a few more hoops to jump when creating a Perf from scratch. Using the Performance Creator is cool and I like it, but I guess to me it was easier to set up from scratch on the ES.

When I plug the USB cable into my laptop, all drivers seem to be working fine, it seems to work great and playing nice with Cubase. I’m still working on a MIDI through solution to work around using both the 5-pin DIN and USB at the same time, but the suggestions posted have got me on the right track. Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2015 @ 07:31 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
midinut - 30 May 2015 02:29 AM

Still can’t seem to get my audio inputs to work. I plug a mic into either L or R jacks, go to Utility, Other, and set the input to mic (not line). Turn on the button next to the gain knob and raise the gain and I got nothin’. I’m anxious to try out the vocoder and try to record some guitar tracks as well.

By any chance is the mic wired for balanced operation, with a TRS plug? The A/D inputs are unbalanced, and require TS plug wiring.

midinut -

Still trying to get Chick’s Mark V to load without any success. When I try to load from User Bank 4 to USR3 on the MOXF, I get a file not found error. Don’t understand why. I’ll pull it off the DVD again and retry it. Does it have to be in the root directory of the flash drive or can it be in a folder? I can’t imagine it making any difference. Having the same problems with several of the Premium Collection libraries. The CS-80 bank won’t load, the CP1 won’t load either. I bought a Vintage Keys, B’s Knees, and the 80s Pop/Rock series from the shop and they load fine (so far). Really pisses me off. I consider myself fairly computer literate.

The file can be in a folder, as long as you point the MOXF to it. Highlight the folder, press [ENTER], then select the file.

How are you trying to load these files? Type “All”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2015 @ 12:14 AM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

First off, I checked both of the mics that I tried and they work fine through my mixer with normal XLR cables. I picked up a XLR to 1/4” at GC a couple of days before my MOXF arrived and that is probably the problem. I need a XLR to 1/4 TR cable instead of TRS ... is that correct? If so, I’ll take it back and see if they have one. If they don’t, does anyone have a link for someplace that does? It would be much appreciated. On a related note, would one of those barrel type adapters from XLR to 1/4” do the same or would I have the same TR vs TRS problem with that?

Second question. I am changing the Type from ALL to 1BankVoice and making sure the Chick file is selected on the right. Next screen I take it from Bank 4 on the right side (from the Motif XF Bank 4) and make sure USR3 is selected on the left. This makes the sending file on the right and the receiving on the left. Trying it one more time to see if it works. At least this time I didn’t get the “file not found” message.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2015 @ 12:17 AM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

If ya’ll don’t mind I’d like to try to integrate my iPad with my MOXF. I have all the Yamaha apps on my iPad and was wondering if there are any tutorials or articles for hooking things up and making them work. I have the Camera Connection Kit and a USB cable already so I’m ready to try it! Thanks again in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2015 @ 12:32 AM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

When I tried it again I got an “illegal file” message. Tried it twice. Same thing happened. It starts loading the Chick voices and a few minutes later that message comes up. I do have the box checked that says “with waveforms” if that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2015 @ 12:42 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
midinut - 31 May 2015 12:14 AM

First off, I checked both of the mics that I tried and they work fine through my mixer with normal XLR cables. I picked up a XLR to 1/4” at GC a couple of days before my MOXF arrived and that is probably the problem. I need a XLR to 1/4 TR cable instead of TRS ... is that correct? If so, I’ll take it back and see if they have one. If they don’t, does anyone have a link for someplace that does? It would be much appreciated. On a related note, would one of those barrel type adapters from XLR to 1/4” do the same or would I have the same TR vs TRS problem with that?

You’d want an XLR female to 1/4” TS (Tip-Sleeve) cable. If you Google XLR TS mic cable that should turn up several hits.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2015 @ 12:49 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
midinut - 31 May 2015 12:32 AM

When I tried it again I got an “illegal file” message. Tried it twice. Same thing happened. It starts loading the Chick voices and a few minutes later that message comes up. I do have the box checked that says “with waveforms” if that helps.

Which OS version is installed in your MOXF?

To check the OS version…
Press [UTILITY]
Press [JOB]
Read the displayed firmware (Firm:).

See page 150 of the MOXF Reference Manual

The most recent OS version is 1.10 - if yours isn’t that, you can download the latest here:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?category_id1=16277&category_id2=16381&product_id=1816956

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2015 @ 01:41 AM
midinut
Joined  02-21-2009

I’ve got Boot: 1.01 / Firm: 1.03
I’ll download and upgrade the firmware to 1.10 tomorrow morning.
We’ll try that and see what happens. Thanks!

Will this cable work? I went ahead and ordered it just in case.http://www.amazon.com/Talent-MCQ15-Microphone-Cable-Female/dp/B0070Z7YY8

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Moxf8 recording
Next Topic:

Can I transfer ALL files from MOXF8 to Motif XF? ››