mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New MOTIF XF7 Owner"

Posted on: May 21, 2015 @ 06:34 PM
pmoody
Total Posts:  16
Joined  05-21-2015

Hey guys, I have a new MOTIF XF with a 1GB Flashboard & a MOX6, and am desperately trying to understand how Yamaha patch memory works. I have owned pro keyboards from all major manufacturers but I have to say, Yamaha MOTIF seems the most confusing to me. I usually create my own sounds for my use in my covers band but I’m having a bear of a time with the MOTIF. I did purchase John Melas’ Editor Librarian & Wave Editor software but I really need to understand File operations in the MOTIF before I go overwriting stuff haphazardly.

The PRE voice patches are all ROM, I get that, but what about the USR patches, these look like whole new patches that are not the same as the PRE?

With other keyboards I own, usually the User patches are just identical copies of the ones in ROM that you can change, but it looks like the MOTIF has all new sounds that are really different to the ones in ROM.

I ask because I’m trying to create sounds for my band song list and want to save them in the MOTIF but I’m not sure where I should save them and I don’t want to overwrite any unique sounds. Is there a blank area in the USR section where I can create patches?

I’m also having difficulty understanding the elements in the FILE operations menu.

I’ve poured through the User and Reference manuals but these leave me just as confused. Any pointers in “plain English” would really be appreciated.

Thanks folks :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2015 @ 06:46 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

In the XF, VOICE USER BANK 1 houses new, unique VOICES that are not found elsewhere in the keyboard.

VOICE USER BANKS 2 through 4 contain VOICES that are merely duplicates of VOICES found in other locations.  Those are the slots you would most likely want to begin putting your custom VOICES in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2015 @ 06:59 PM
pmoody
Joined  05-21-2015
cmayhle - 21 May 2015 06:46 PM

In the XF, VOICE USER BANK 1 houses new, unique VOICES that are not found elsewhere in the keyboard.

VOICE USER BANKS 2 through 4 contain VOICES that are merely duplicates of VOICES found in other locations.  Those are the slots you would most likely want to begin putting your custom VOICES in.

Awesome!! Thanks for the fast response :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 04:56 PM
pmoody
Joined  05-21-2015

Ok so I spent a few hours with it yesterday and with the help of Youtube, I managed to crack the mystery of voice editing. Huge props also to John Melas’ Wave Editor, because I was able to make my own samples & synth patch for Uptown Funk into the MOTIF USR area. The Melas software is definitely a worthy investment.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 07:26 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Sounds like you’re a quick study pmoody.  Glad to have you in the forum.  You also made the leap to Melas quickly.... Smart move IMHO

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 08:02 PM
pmoody
Joined  05-21-2015

Thanks for the encouragement richie, the fast learning curve is really out of desperation because my band is putting on a brand new show and I have to program the new setlist into the MOTIF within the next 3 weeks in time for rehearsals.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Wood block solo sound on Girls Just Want to have Fun.
Next Topic:

Load multiple patterns ››