mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using MOX6 to Trigger a VST Instrument…"

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 09:52 AM
iluvchiclets
Total Posts:  112
Joined  06-15-2007

Good Day!

I have had my MOX6 for almost 4 years now, and I have mainly been using it simply as a synthesizer.

One of the things I do like about it, is that it sends MIDI and acts as my soundcard via usb.  It makes for an uncluttered set-up when using VSTs on my computer.

I play my VSTs using “VST host” (I do not use a DAW to trigger VSTs when playing) and I wonder if there is a more efficient way to do things?  For instance, often when playing a VST instrument (ie, NI’s Massive, FM8, or perhaps one of Arturia’s Analog Lab instruments) I have to:

- repeatedly “Midi-learn” different parameters to my MOX6,
- I select different programs using the mouse instead of my MOX,

...among other things.

Is there a more streamlined and efficient way to operate and control VST’s using my MOX6?  I would love to be able to simply select different programs on “Massive” (or others) without having to use the pesky mouse.  I would like to have the MOX do more for me hardware-wise rather than always have to reach over to the mouse or keypad on my computer…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 11:19 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi luvchiclets,

What is the specific problem with what you’ve been doing with MIDI learn?

Since you don’t want to use a DAW and prefer using VST Host, perhaps you need a plugin to bridge the gap between your VSTIs and your MOX6

This might give you some remote control options, but I suspect it is far from perfect.

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_RemoteControl/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 01:33 PM
iluvchiclets
Joined  06-15-2007

Thanks for the quick reply,

I had a look at that bluecataudio page, but it looks like it might be another step into more confusion for me...!

I know the Motif has a whack of functions that I’ve never explored (quick setup, DAW remote) and I’m wondering if this MOX already has everything I need?  Perhaps I just need to understand it?

I find the MOX keyboard complicated to understand - there’s no other way to say it.  It’s not a point to be questioned for me, it’s just overwhelming. 
I did fool around with “Quick Setup” today (and used option #6 titled “Vst Play") and it looked promising.  But the data wheel did not work perfectly with my VSTs.  MIDI learn only worked intermittently on certain parameters and was glitchy.  And, finally, I can not figure out how to get out of “Quick Setup” mode and back into regular Voice play mode!?  Can that be done without having to turn off the MOX?

It’s a nuisance to have to re-learn the Midi CCs every time I change a patch, and I would love to be able to change patches from the MOX surface.  Perhaps it can’t be done, but I thought I would ask for anyone’s opinions. 

I really like the idea of the Arturia Keylab - everything is mapped perfectly to the computer - but I don’t want to invest another $500 for another controller...hoping the MOX can do some things for me!

Will keep experimenting and trying to get my head around the MOX User guide and Parameter Guide.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 04:35 PM
bgrosse
Total Posts:  465
Joined  07-06-2009

Hi iluvchiclets,

I have used my MOX for a long time and found everything works with VST’s throu Cubase.

Cubase should have come with your MOX.

The ‘Learn’ feature does not work with all VSt for every control.
A lot of that has to do with each VST working differently, using altogether different codes and methods.

check the following link for an article - these are mostly written by Bad Mister and are the most comprehensive information you can find for these keyboards.
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/mox_articles/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 05:32 PM
iluvchiclets
Joined  06-15-2007

Thanks bgrosse,

(Always nice to read your posts...)

I did have some luck today using the DAW remote, it was nice that they showed all the CC messages on my MOX screen.  I just “Midi-Learned” all the main parameters I use (Cutoff, ASDR, etc...) and then played and played.

The nice thing was using the Up and Down arrow buttons on the MOX allowed me to switch programs on Massive and FM8.  Nice!  Thanks Yamaha!  This keyboard is so flexible…

I still have my copy of Cubase Ai5 that came with my MOX, but I don’t see any activation codes?  I still have my Prologue codes and my YCB-3 codes...hmmm....  I might have to try using Cubase for the heck of it.

Since I have your attention, do you know how to exit from the “Quick Setup” mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 05:44 PM
bgrosse
Joined  07-06-2009

Just press the “EXIT” button on the face of the MOX

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2015 @ 10:34 AM
iluvchiclets
Joined  06-15-2007

Hi again,

I have made some progress using the “DAW Remote” button.  Pressing that, and using the Bank “Dec” and “Inc” buttons allow me to scroll through some VST templates.  Among them are Massive and FM8...very cool!  Wish I had known about those in the first place!

I am going to explore the remote editor further, and see what is involved with creating templates for VSTs.  bgrosse, I still have not had a chance to sit in front of my MOX6 because I have been busy with work lately, but I will try your tip to press the “Exit” button upon leaving Quick Setup.  I think I tried that previously without luck, but will try again...thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2015 @ 04:18 PM
bgrosse
Joined  07-06-2009

Good luck and please let us know of your progress.

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2015 @ 07:43 PM
iluvchiclets
Joined  06-15-2007

Hi again,

No, I still can’t exit out of the “Quick Setup” back to regular play or performance.  To be clear, if I select option “6” called “VST Play” the sound of the MOX shuts off and I can only hear my VSTs.

If I want to return to the regular MOX play mode (ie, just as if I had turned it on) I cannot do that.  How do I exit out of the Quick Setup mode I wonder?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2015 @ 08:17 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
iluvchiclets - 24 May 2015 07:43 PM

Hi again,

No, I still can’t exit out of the “Quick Setup” back to regular play or performance.  To be clear, if I select option “6” called “VST Play” the sound of the MOX shuts off and I can only hear my VSTs.

If I want to return to the regular MOX play mode (ie, just as if I had turned it on) I cannot do that.  How do I exit out of the Quick Setup mode I wonder?

I don’t have a MOX, and the XS and XF have different Quick Setup configurations. However, it seems that you could select a Quick Setup other than “6” - for example, “4” is a Stand Alone configuration.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2015 @ 09:02 PM
bgrosse
Joined  07-06-2009

Another way is to press “Quick Setup” button only to show the 6 config’s.

Then press SF2 for Audio setting and select Config2 for regular Audio setup.

Then press SF3 for MIDI and select config4 for regular MIDI setup.

This will let you switch back and forth between VST Audio and 4ch dual audio and between Local control off to Local Control On giving the tone generator back to the keys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 11:02 AM
iluvchiclets
Joined  06-15-2007

Thank you bgrosse,

I understand what you are saying - I noted that when I did press option #2 in Quick Setup that the keyboard did perform as when turned-on...I’m just not sure what else changes!  Do you think that option #2 is the same as when the MOX is turned on?

Hi 5pinDIN - I will look into option #4 as well.  Stand-Alone certainly sounds like the MOX state when turned on.

Thanks to both of you for your input!

[ Ignore ]