mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX8 key weight versus MOXF8"

Posted on: May 03, 2015 @ 02:49 PM
Lee Batchelor
Total Posts:  486
Joined  12-16-2003

Hi everyone,

I’ve had my MOX8 for about four years and am delighted with it. The first thing that sold me, other than the great sounds, was the key weighting. I’ve had four other Yamaha weighted pianos, but they were all very heavy compared to the MOX8. (The worst was the P120 stage piano. Great piano but I dumped it after two months.)

My friend purchased a MOXF8. I took it for a test drive and it sounded great, however, Yamaha has gone back to their old weighting scale. I know I can change the settings in the Utilities area, but that doesn’t really help. My wrists still get worn out. In fact, another friend uses an S90ES professionally. He also owns a baby grand. He says he can play a baby grand for hours on end but after two hours on his S90ES, his wrists are shot. Looks like I’ll be keeping my MOX8!

The MOX8 is the closest weighting to a Yamaha baby grand I’ve ever played. Why can’t Yamaha produce a consistently weighted product that mimics their real pianos? You can’t tell me they don’t have the technology. If it’s all about profits, that’s an issue. I pray they’re not taking profit lessons from Microsoft. If so, we’re all doomed :)!

Opinions welcome. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2015 @ 11:26 PM
Lee Batchelor
Joined  12-16-2003

Perhaps I should have added a tag line question, “Has anyone else experienced radically different key weightings in the various pianos?” I was posed to trade my MOX8 for the MOXF8, but I won’t now because I don’t want to go back to the older heavier weighting. I’d gladly pay a premium for the lighter key weighting.

Having said that, perhaps we can stay focused on the question I should have asked, “Has anyone else experienced radically different key weightings in the various pianos?”

By the way, psycho--I love the cat moniker :)!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2015 @ 02:14 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Lee Batchelor - 03 May 2015 11:26 PM

..."Has anyone else experienced radically different key weightings in the various pianos?” I was posed to trade my MOX8 for the MOXF8, but I won’t now because I don’t want to go back to the older heavier weighting. I’d gladly pay a premium for the lighter key weighting.

Having said that, perhaps we can stay focused on the question I should have asked, “Has anyone else experienced radically different key weightings in the various pianos?”....

MOX8 Action:  Yamaha Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) action
MOXF8 Action: Yamaha Graded Hammer Standard (GSH) action

Not sure how “radically different” they could be.

FWIW, your (short-lived) P120 had a Yamaha Graded Hammer (GH) action.

Full disclosure:  I don’t own a MOX or a MOXF.  My Yamaha keyboards are XF8, CP4, P200.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2015 @ 06:33 PM
Lee Batchelor
Joined  12-16-2003

I certainly agree that there should be little difference in the key weights. It makes sense for Yamaha to perfect their key bed, and then use it for numerous models. Sounds like I just got lucky. Who knows :)?? 

Thanks to all for your input.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2015 @ 01:57 PM
rogs
Total Posts:  121
Joined  07-16-2011

There have been a number of comments over the years about how different the same GHS action seems to feel on different models....
I have a P105 (GHS keybed) which I use to control my MOX6. The concert grand voice played on the P105 definitely feels very different compared to playing the same voice directly, using a MOX8.

It can’t be the voice (obviously) ... so it must either be the actual keybed mechanics (the P105 feels a lot more ‘substantial’ than the MOX8) or the velocity settings. Don’t know which, but it definitely feels like a very different keybed—(even though I know it’s not!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2015 @ 04:27 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
rogs - 09 May 2015 01:57 PM

There have been a number of comments over the years about how different the same GHS action seems to feel on different models....
I have a P105 (GHS keybed) which I use to control my MOX6. The concert grand voice played on the P105 definitely feels very different compared to playing the same voice directly, using a MOX8.

It can’t be the voice (obviously) ... so it must either be the actual keybed mechanics (the P105 feels a lot more ‘substantial’ than the MOX8) or the velocity settings. Don’t know which, but it definitely feels like a very different keybed—(even though I know it’s not!)

Yes, different velocity curve settings will absolutely make the same keybed action “feel” quite different.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Performance - Velocity Control
Next Topic:

Audio Interference with new Roland FA 06 ››