mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording MOXF in Logic – where am I going wrong?"

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 09:30 AM
agoldstraw
Total Posts:  20
Joined  06-06-2007

I’m trying to use my MOXF6’s USB connection to record directly into Logic over USB. My DAW usually interfaces with my iMac via a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Firewire interface.

I have everything set up OK on the MOXF (I think), and in Logic have the input set to the MOXF and the output set to the Focusrite.

With this set-up, I can see the MOXF sending signal to the Logic channel (the meter is moving), and I have both record and input monitor activated. However, I can hear no sound at all. I AM able to blind record (e.g. an ARP pattern) and then, when I play it back, I can hear what’s been recorded.

To be clear, at this point, the analog outs of my MOXF are not connected at all but I was under the impression that this wasn’t necessary with audio over USB. Am I labouring under a misapprehension here about what the USB connection can do, or is there something simple I’ve overlooked in Logic or on the other audio interface.

Btw, I have a CP4 plugged into the Focusrite via the traditional analog route and it monitors and records perfectly.

Any suggestions gratefully received – thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 11:14 AM
DHTech
Total Posts:  62
Joined  11-20-2014

Sounds like the MOXF isn’t passing the USB audio via your interface.

Plug the MOXF directly into your Mac and try it that way, I use Logic and it work perfectly with both Audio and Midi over USB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2015 @ 04:01 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
agoldstraw - 05 May 2015 09:30 AM

With this set-up, I can see the MOXF sending signal to the Logic channel (the meter is moving), and I have both record and input monitor activated. However, I can hear no sound at all. I AM able to blind record (e.g. an ARP pattern) and then, when I play it back, I can hear what’s been recorded.

If you can see metering moving on an audio track when you’ve record enabled it, the MOXF seems to be doing what it should. 

The blind recording part is very interesting but ultimately confusing unless you have some kind of weird mute or solo automation involved.

Another thing you might like to try is making an aggregate device out of both devices.  You may find that they sit happier together.

Perhaps also create a fresh project and try again to eliminate any accidental settings changes..

With the information you have included, it seems that the problem is more likely in Logic than your MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Moxf8 or Roland FA08.?
Next Topic:

FLASH worth it? ››