mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Question for 5PinDin and/or Bad_Mister and anyone else!"

Posted on: April 21, 2015 @ 01:56 PM
pblais
Total Posts:  95
Joined  03-05-2015

Instead of looking around for posts, I figured I would just ask my question right here.
First, Sonar is not my first choice of DAW but I have Sonar so if someone could explain things in terms of Sonar, I can probably get the same setup to run in my preferred DAW.
I have an M-Audio 88 key keyboard that has no “pads, knobs and sliders”. I have a couple of control surfaces however that do (Korg nanoKontrol2 and Arturia Minilab).
What I would like to do is use the M-Audio to “play” the sounds from my Rack-XS and use one of my control surfaces to change the sounds on-the-fly.
I have no clue on how to do this “hook-up”.  I think I need to set up a couple tracks. One for the M-Audio and one for the control surface that I will be using.  What I don’t know are the inputs and outputs of each of these tracks.  In the end, I will be using an audio track to record the actual output of the Rack-XS.  But some day soon, I would also like to have MIDI track be the input instead of actually “playing” the keyboard.
I also have Cubase (also not my preferred DAW). So if someone could show me how to set this up in either Sonar or Cubase, that would be great.  That would give me a warm feeling that what I want to do can actually be done with my hardware.  I can then play around with trying to get it to work in my favorite DAW (Studio One Pro or Mixcraft)

Thank you in advance
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2015 @ 05:31 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Whichever DAW or other computer application you use, the M-Audio controller has to be seen at a MIDI-In port, and the same is true for the Korg devices. Setting up ports is covered in the Korg manuals. The nanoKONTROL2 manual describes using Mackie Control protocol for interacting with DAWs.

If you want to use CC mode to work with the Rack XS, what can be controlled is given in its Data List on page 59, under (3-1-3) CONTROL CHANGE, RECEIVED CONTROL NUMBER.  The Korg’s output should be routed to the Rack XS Port 3, just like the keyboard.

Perhaps someone who has experience with the controllers and apps you want to use can provide more detailed information.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2015 @ 06:14 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

Thank you for such a quick reply.

At the momment, the M-Audio 5pin MIDI OUT (no MIDI IN)is connected to a Velocity converter from Midi Solutions.  The output of the velocity converter is then connected to both the MIDI IN of the Rack and also the MIDI IN of my audio/MIDI interface via a MIDI splitter also from Midi Solutions. I did this so that I could send velocity converted data to both the Rack and my interface so that I could take advantage of some of my sample libraries that have velocity layering for other non Rack projects. (Thank you for pointing me in this direction in a previous thread here)
I should mention here that the M-Audio also has a USB connector that is not being used at the moment.

Cheers
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2015 @ 07:48 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The options with a USB controller are limited…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475061/

We previously covered Port 3 routing, when you were using the Yamaha Editor and your controller keyboard…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/474784/
The same concept applies to other controllers when they’re connected via USB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2015 @ 10:13 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 21 April 2015 05:31 PM

If you want to use CC mode to work with the Rack XS, what can be controlled is given in its Data List on page 59, under (3-1-3) CONTROL CHANGE, RECEIVED CONTROL NUMBER.

Are you saying that won’t be able to change sounds/voices on-the-fly?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2015 @ 11:40 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 21 April 2015 10:13 PM
5pinDIN - 21 April 2015 05:31 PM

If you want to use CC mode to work with the Rack XS, what can be controlled is given in its Data List on page 59, under (3-1-3) CONTROL CHANGE, RECEIVED CONTROL NUMBER.

Are you saying that won’t be able to change sounds/voices on-the-fly?

I didn’t say anything about that, one way or the other.

As the information I referred you to states…
CC00 is Bank Select MSB
CC32 is Bank Select LSB
Both are followed by *3, so please read that note. The table shows the MSB and LSB values for the various Voice, etc., banks. Once those are sent, a Program Change message is required. Offhand I don’t know what your hardware or software are capable of sending to the Rack XS. I can usually help with the XS end of things, but you should read the manuals for your other gear and familiarize yourself with what they can do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2015 @ 09:16 AM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 21 April 2015 11:40 PM

I can usually help with the XS end of things, but you should read the manuals for your other gear and familiarize yourself with what they can do.

That is totally understandable.  So, can I bother you to tell me what I have to do up front from the Rack’s front panel so it will accept CCs from my controller via USB? (or 5pin MIDI IN)
Ideally, I would like to send it MIDI note data via the 5Pin MIDI IN connector and control information via the USB connector

Thanks
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2015 @ 12:41 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 22 April 2015 09:16 AM
5pinDIN - 21 April 2015 11:40 PM

I can usually help with the XS end of things, but you should read the manuals for your other gear and familiarize yourself with what they can do.

That is totally understandable.  So, can I bother you to tell me what I have to do up front from the Rack’s front panel so it will accept CCs from my controller via USB? (or 5pin MIDI IN)
Ideally, I would like to send it MIDI note data via the 5Pin MIDI IN connector and control information via the USB connector

Although I’ve never used this particular configuration, using a computer, this should work…
Connect and set up the Rack for USB MIDI, and configure your DAW to use Port 3 for MIDI In. Install the Korg’s USB driver, connect the Korg to your computer, and route its output via the DAW to the Rack’s Port 1 input. That way, data from both the controller keyboard and the Korg device should get routed to the Rack.

If you need to have standalone operation, I’d suggest trading in what you have for a used XS keyboard model. It’s really a lot easier to do what you apparently want to on one of them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2015 @ 10:21 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

I just read this TIP on page 28 of the owner’s manual

Selecting Voices by receiving MIDI messages
You can select Voices on this instrument from your DAW software
by specifying the following MIDI messages. To do this, the
following three MIDI messages must be transmitted to the
MOTIF-RACK XS.
• Bank Select MSB (Control #0)
• Bank Select LSB (Control #32)
• Program Change
For example, transmit the following MIDI messages to select the
Voice of program number 12 in the PRE2.
1. Transmit a Bank Select MSB (Control #0) value of 63.
2. Transmit a Bank Select LSB (Control #32) value of 1.
3. Transmit a Program Change value of 12*.

Does that mean that I have to send 3 separate MIDI messages to change a voice in the Rack?  If yes, can you point me to a control surface that will let me edit a button so that I can transmit all three messages with one button instead of 3.  My nanoKontrol2 will only allow me to have one message per button???

THanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2015 @ 07:41 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 23 April 2015 10:21 PM

I just read this TIP on page 28 of the owner’s manual

Selecting Voices by receiving MIDI messages
You can select Voices on this instrument from your DAW software
by specifying the following MIDI messages. To do this, the
following three MIDI messages must be transmitted to the
MOTIF-RACK XS.
• Bank Select MSB (Control #0)
• Bank Select LSB (Control #32)
• Program Change
For example, transmit the following MIDI messages to select the
Voice of program number 12 in the PRE2.
1. Transmit a Bank Select MSB (Control #0) value of 63.
2. Transmit a Bank Select LSB (Control #32) value of 1.
3. Transmit a Program Change value of 12*.

Does that mean that I have to send 3 separate MIDI messages to change a voice in the Rack?  If yes, can you point me to a control surface that will let me edit a button so that I can transmit all three messages with one button instead of 3.  My nanoKontrol2 will only allow me to have one message per button???

THanks

I’m aware of what’s needed to do Program Change with Bank Select - I referred you to the Data List page that covers it and I even posted the information in this thread.

I’m sorry, but I don’t know offhand what control surface might be able to do what you requested. If you can afford to do so, it seems that getting a used Motif XS6 in place of the Rack XS would serve you a lot better. Not only would you have front panel control of things, but you’d gain sampling and sequencing. If you need 88-key access, your current controller and MIDI Solutions device(s) could be used to play the XS6. A used XS6 can be purchased for around $1300US. Of course, if you decide to go that route, be sure that you can return it if there are any problems.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2015 @ 11:18 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

OK....  I’m back at it… Was away for a couple days.  I am positive that I am doing something wrong (operator head gap).
I am using MIDI-OX to send stuff to the Rack. I figured I would try that before adding the variable of DAW setup.

I am using the example that I showed above.
Trying to select bank PRE2 and send it a 12 to channel 1
I am sending B0 00 3F (MSB of bank change)
B0 20 01 (LSB of bank change)
C0 0C (program change 12)

No matter what I send for program change, I don’t see any change on the Rack’s display screen.  I even tried sending to all channels.

I have selected the Yamaha MOTIF-R XS-3 as the MIDI output for MIDI-OX and I don’t have an MIDI input device selected

I must be missing something that I have to setup prior to all this from the Rack’s front panel

I have attached a MIDI-OX screen dump

Image Attachments
MIDI OX dump.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2015 @ 07:39 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 28 April 2015 11:18 PM

[...]I have selected the Yamaha MOTIF-R XS-3 as the MIDI output for MIDI-OX[...]

Sorry, I made an error (now corrected) in the previous post in this thread concerning port assignment. MIDI-Out should be routed to the Rack’s Port 1, as I posted when you were setting up the Editor.

I suggest that you reread MIDI channels and MIDI ports on page 18 of the Owner’s Manual, so that I can’t (unintentionally) mislead you again.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2015 @ 09:32 AM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 29 April 2015 07:39 AM

I suggest that you reread MIDI channels and MIDI ports on page 18 of the Owner’s Manual, so that I can’t (unintentionally) mislead you again.  :-)

LOL....  No Worries and thanks for all your previous and present help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 12:16 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

I am able to send bank select and program changes to the Rack now.  All is almost good.  It will all be good once I figure out the idiosyncrasies of my DAW…

Thank you very much 5pinDIN for all your help

Cheers
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 02:06 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 30 April 2015 12:16 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

I am able to send bank select and program changes to the Rack now.  All is almost good.  It will all be good once I figure out the idiosyncrasies of my DAW…

Thank you very much 5pinDIN for all your help

Cheers
Pierre

You’re welcome, and good luck in figuring out your DAW.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ searching for a post
Next Topic:

how do I assign different outputs on the xs rack ››