mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help please, my MOXF program change is too slow"

Posted on: April 19, 2015 @ 01:24 PM
paulus1971
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-22-2014

Hi,

I am sequencing a song with SONAR and use my MOXF as sound module.

The weird things are :
1. The first time i press “PLAY” in the middle of the song, the MOXF reacts slowly (i think there is a delay around 100/200 ms).
2. If there is a program change, the next sound is delayed around 100/200 ms

I’ve already adjusted the buffer size, but it has nothing to do with buffer size. It is the program change of the MOXF that reacts slowly. I don’t know why.

Sorry for my bad english. I’ve tried all i could but nothing can solve the problem.

Could anyone help me with this please? Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2015 @ 04:21 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

paulus1971 - 19 April 2015 01:24 PM

Hi,

I am sequencing a song with SONAR and use my MOXF as sound module.

The weird things are :
1. The first time i press “PLAY” in the middle of the song, the MOXF reacts slowly (i think there is a delay around 100/200 ms).
2. If there is a program change, the next sound is delayed around 100/200 ms

I’ve already adjusted the buffer size, but it has nothing to do with buffer size. It is the program change of the MOXF that reacts slowly. I don’t know why.

Sorry for my bad english. I’ve tried all i could but nothing can solve the problem.

Could anyone help me with this please? Thank you.

I don’t know Sonar, but check this thread. In Cubase, checking “Use System Timestamp for ‘Windows MIDI’ Inputs” solves such a problem. If there is similar settings in Sonar, there could be an answer.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2015 @ 08:57 PM
paulus1971
Joined  07-22-2014

Thanks for your help Alex,

But actually, it has nothing to do with Sonar/Cubase.

I am using 2 keyboards (MOXF 6 and Roland FA-06. MOXF for tracks 1-9, Roland FA for tracks 10 - 16). No delay in Roland sound, only with MOXF.

And then i try to do sequencing with MOXF internal sequencer (without using any computer or Roland FA), whenever i insert Program Change message to a track, then there will be a delay.

So, i am very sure the problem is from the MOXF.

I have tried to swap the USB cable between Roland FA and MOXF, but the delay is still there only with MOXF tracks, and no delay at all with Roland FA tracks. I have also updated the Firmware to the latest version (1.10), but it doesn’t help at all.

Could anyone help me with this please?

Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2015 @ 06:18 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
paulus1971 - 19 April 2015 08:57 PM

Thanks for your help Alex,

But actually, it has nothing to do with Sonar/Cubase.

I am using 2 keyboards (MOXF 6 and Roland FA-06. MOXF for tracks 1-9, Roland FA for tracks 10 - 16). No delay in Roland sound, only with MOXF.

And then i try to do sequencing with MOXF internal sequencer (without using any computer or Roland FA), whenever i insert Program Change message to a track, then there will be a delay.

So, i am very sure the problem is from the MOXF.

I have tried to swap the USB cable between Roland FA and MOXF, but the delay is still there only with MOXF tracks, and no delay at all with Roland FA tracks. I have also updated the Firmware to the latest version (1.10), but it doesn’t help at all.

Could anyone help me with this please?

Thank you

I thought when you mentioned sequencing in Sonar that there should be a problem.
Did you try to disconnect all other equipment from MOXF (Roland, PC, etc) and than to record a sequence in MOXF internal sequencer?
Did you check your MIDI settings in Utility menu?
Finally, the last thing that (maybe) could help is factory reset.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2015 @ 11:28 AM
paulus1971
Joined  07-22-2014

Hi Alex,

I’ve tried everything that you mentioned, including the factory reset. I have John Melas Complete Package, and i also have vArranger2 software. With this software i can inspect any program change that happens in MOXF. And i notice, whenever there is a program change, especially from different Bank, there is a delay. As if, Yamaha MOXF ROM is a bit slow to response/recall the waveform.

But i don’t believe a company like Yamaha made this kind of very fatal mistake. Cause even in a cheap PSR, this Program Change doesn’t create any delay.

I really like the MOXF sounds. To me, to play Tyros 4 styles using vArranger2 and MOXF as the sound module, Roland FA is inferior to MOXF.

I am really hoping somone could help me with this.

Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2015 @ 07:44 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I’m sure you will be unhappy with this answer but what you are seeing is normal.

I’ve owned many synthesizers over the last 25 years and how each one behaves when you send program changes is different. It’s no surprise that the FA and MOXF behave differently.

All of the Motif series briefly mutes the output while changing the voice and effect parameters, this causes a slight delay before a new note can be played. The normal workaround is to insert program changes where there will be silence on the track. Inserting a program change at the top of a looping pattern is a recipe for disaster...as you have seen.

I am assuming you are using all 16 MIDI channels and have no free tracks to use instead of changing the program on that track. In that case what you want to do simply will not work, whether using the internal sequencer or an external one like Sonar.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2015 @ 09:34 PM
paulus1971
Joined  07-22-2014

Hi meatballfulton,

Thank you for the info.

Honestly, i am a bit disappointed with this fact.

But, at least, i now know that nothing is wrong with my MOXF. So i don’t have to waste my time trying to eliminate the delay.

Again, thanks for your help.

[ Ignore ]