mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "tip: LCD Contrast knob adjusts screen’s viewing angle"

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 02:34 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

LCD contrast control (physical knob near USB ports, back right) optimizes viewing angle.

Basic, but having placed XF as 2nd tier, I need to adjust it. I almost asked here as I couldn’t find the right words to result in a successful search of the manuals, forum, & web.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 03:55 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The LCD which Yamaha chose doesn’t have a particularly wide viewing angle. I sometimes find that the position I need to be in where I can reach the control isn’t the one from which I want to view it, causing the optimal setting to be somewhat trial and error. Fortunately, I don’t have to move my gear too often.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 06:38 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

For all the posts we read here wishing for new features, this is one that I hope they change on future models. This is a huge pain and one I experience on a frequent basis. It’s almost a two man job.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 06:50 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

A length of very flexible rubber hose, having an inside diameter just a bit smaller than the o.d. of the control shaft, might work for a bendable extension…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 07:05 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014
5pinDIN - 17 April 2015 03:55 PM

The LCD which Yamaha chose doesn’t have a particularly wide viewing angle. I sometimes find that the position I need to be in where I can reach the control isn’t the one from which I want to view it, causing the optimal setting to be somewhat trial and error. Fortunately, I don’t have to move my gear too often.

My exact sentiments. The extension idea is dry-hilarious.

stoneb3, while far from ideal, if there’s generally 2-3 fixed positions - like lower tier, 2nd tier - I suppose, you can put tape and a marker for those positions.  I tried to get a sense of which way made it darker, which way lighter, then did a few “shots in the dark”. But, I don’t disagree with you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 09:24 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
5pinDIN - 17 April 2015 06:50 PM

A length of very flexible rubber hose, having an inside diameter just a bit smaller than the o.d. of the control shaft, might work for a bendable extension…

This is as good tip. I’ve used hose for quite some time now and it has served me well in many applications. It’s great to identify key controls in the dark. If Yamaha had been more generous in the length of the pot knob there might actually be a chance of it staying on. I’m just perplexed that they would install this on the back of the instrument. Near the screen or anywhere topside would be nice. I don’t keep my toilet paper in the garage.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 10:47 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

my bad. i actually thought it was a joke. if that actually works, it’s pretty genius. if the control is there, i’d find that useful on the AD input.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2015 @ 12:32 AM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
dsetto - 17 April 2015 10:47 PM

my bad. i actually thought it was a joke. if that actually works, it’s pretty genius. if the control is there, i’d find that useful on the AD input.

Nah, no joke. If you’ve got a rack full of gear where everything has a knob it’s tough to find what you’re seeking. With the rubber extension you can narrow it down, nothing like boosting your stage volume to find it’s FOH, or worse.  Different lengths help too, for different functions. It’s sorta like braille.

The toilet paper was a joke.

[ Ignore ]