mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Controling Rack XS with Keyboard Controler like Motif XS ?!?! Is that possible?"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: February 05, 2013 @ 04:57 AM
T_Roni
Total Posts:  27
Joined  02-03-2013

Indeed, so try this, midi out cable coming from your rack XS to midi in cable on your MPK61.  Next usb cable on MPK to computer or, laptop, etc.  Now when you go into the midi setup of your favorite sequencer (such as cubase, abeleton, etc.) you should see your (Akai MPK61 listed) once you set it up it up you should be able to press Fll in cubase (I think) or simply add a VSTi instrument, select Akai MPK88, this should add a midi track and give you the option to select and configure the Akai MPK61.  Afterwards you should be able to arm the track for record then proceed to play the sounds of your Motif Rack XS through your Akai MPK61 keyboard via midi. 

If you simply just want to play the Rack XS with you Akai MPK61 though speakers (Powered or amped) you’ll need the external power supply, then hook up your midi cables from the rackXS to the AKAI MPK,hook up your speakers and you should be good to go.

A final options and most common is to use a Midi I/O unit (with multiple midi I/Os), I use the MOTU-MTP-AV (usb version/Windows version)optionally you can order an easy to plug in chip from MOTU to change the MTP-AV into an OSX midi/I/O unit for use witt the Mac (or vice versa). I you buy the MTP-AV (used)go for the USB version, the parallel port version is somewhat outdated & may not work in some setups.

Also (and most overlooked) you will have to restart your sequencer the first time you do a midi setup or nothing will play in maany sequencers. 

Hopes this helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2013 @ 06:44 AM
T_Roni
Joined  02-03-2013

Silly me, this thing was posted in 2010. Okay, I’m new but I learn fast.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2013 @ 08:31 AM
T_Roni
Joined  02-03-2013
dust_bg - 02 December 2010 07:51 AM

Thank you!!!

Very much!!

Unfortunately my keyboard AKAI MPK-61 does not support sysex messages :(

Actually, a firmware update will allow all Akai MPK keyboards to do SysEx messages allowing you to contol some fuctions of the Rack XS thouhgh your Midi Keyboard similar to the way the Yamaha Keybords are controlled. (Check out 2nd posting of this topic for details of controllable functions listed by Moderator)

Akai MPK Controllers:
Recommended settings in Vyzex for SysEx transfers: (Windows options only)
Number of Buffers: 8 (Default is 15)
Buffer Size: 2500 (Default is 7000)

Akai MPK firmware update
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h527yt3z4btwcev/MPK25_Firmware_v103.zip

You may want to heck the Akai website for newer firmware updates this info is 4 months old.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2013 @ 08:56 AM
T_Roni
Joined  02-03-2013

[

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2015 @ 09:58 AM
pblais
Total Posts:  95
Joined  03-05-2015

Hi…
I would like to add to this thread with my own question.
I have rack-xs.  I am using an M-Audio Keystation 88 (not the pro) to trigger/play the rack’s sounds.  That works fine.  BUT the Keystation 88 does not have all pads/buttons/sliders that I would need to change rack parameters such as sounds and or arp stuff.
I do, however, have a Korg nanoKontrol2 (and nanoPad2) that I could use to do this.
I understand that I just can’t hook the Korg units up to the rack via USB cable (though that would be very nice).  So I would like to use my DAW to do this.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for this of help me with “hook up instructions”
I don’t know if the Korg units send sysexe commands or not.. I do know that they send CC messages.

Thanks
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2