mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Seems MOFX is recording in mono in Cubase - How to assure Stereo is Recorded?"

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 04:29 PM
Forrest88
Total Posts:  30
Joined  05-15-2008

HI,

I have been doing my recordings into Cubase using the 2 Stereo Channel setting on my MOXF and on Cubase.  When I open Cubase in the 2 Stereo Channel setting it appears there are two blue lines responding in the indicator for “midi input” on the upper right when I play something.  When I go to record, (hit red record button and it starts recording) though, the two lines in the “midi input” indicator (again upper right on Transport) show just one line going up and down and when playing back, again, it is only one line, the two lines indicating Stereo disappear and just one shows.  I was always assuming since I have the keyboard set to 2 Stereo Channel and the same on Cubase when I open it my recording was in stereo.  When I was playing back the Voice “Journey” (an electric piano voice)I noticed the pulsing back and forth from right to left channel effect heard when playing live has disappeared in the Cubase playback.  This made me realize it seems I am just getting a mono signal from the track playing back.
So, how do I keep both channels going and the recording comes out in stereo?  THANKS for any help on this .....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2015 @ 05:33 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Forrest88,

It’s very difficult to diagnose your problem so far with the info you have given.  The info about MIDI also confuses matters a bit and makes me wonder if you’re recording MIDI rather than audio.  They aren’t the same thing and MIDI data cannot be stereo or mono.

One thing you don’t mention is the kind of track you’re actually recording to.  It may well be that you are recording to a MONO audio track, in which case, I’d expect the exact result that you have found.

You’ll need to record to a STEREO audio track in order to maintain your stereo image.

If you already are recording to a stereo audio track in Cubase, the other thing to look at is the positions of the pan pots.  If they are centred, then your stereo track is not in stereo anymore.

The pan positions should be LEFT - all the way to the left, and RIGHT - all the way to the right.

Your problem may also be because of a routing issue from within the MOXF itself, but I would look into the above first.

So, not only do you need the MOXF to be in the right state, but you also need the right kind of audio track to capture the audio in stereo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 11:52 AM
Forrest88
Total Posts:  30
Joined  05-15-2008

Thanks and yes, I am talking about recording to a midi track in Cubase.  I also recorded the same piece at the same time on a digital recorder and the analog playback of this “Journey” voice has the pulsing back and forth between the stereo channels as played.  I will check the pan positions, though, and I appreciate your input .....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2015 @ 12:18 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

I only mentioned pan positioning in case you recorded to an audio track. You definitely haven’t, so my suggestion is now irrelevant.

Based on what you’ve already said, your problem sounds much more like a USB audio routing problem.  Even more so, now you’ve mentioned that you’ve had a go at recording with an external digital audio recorder, which couldn’t involve the MOXF’s USB audio at all and presumably recorded what came out of the MOXF’s left and right analogue outputs instead.

(which would give you a stereo image in which you could hear the width of your stereo panner effect).

Routing problem could mean anything from not routing it at all and not setting up an audio track to record it on, to somehow managing to route that particular voice in mono.

It’s rather a peculiar problem for someone to have if they’ve only been using MIDI tracks.

[ Ignore ]