mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using a MOXF6 for gigging"

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 02:49 PM
Halion76
Total Posts:  63
Joined  03-13-2015

Hi folks, just wondering do many of you use the MOXF for gigging?

I’m joining a new band soon and am considering taking either the mox or moxf out.  Just need to work out if it’ll be intuitive enough for gigging.

Can I save settings for each song in our setlist (splits etc..,) and easily recall them?  Is it possible to edit these settings with the song name?

I’d obviously keep a few generic settings but I’d be looking at least 50 separate song settings.

Thanks for any advice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 05:56 PM
Spencermtk
Total Posts:  10
Joined  01-16-2014

I gig 3 to 4 nights per week with the moxf8 and the moxf6 as my setup and love the light weight and ease to program my songs in Performance Mode.
I have the flash card installed in both and have tons of room to program sounds, splits, layers and all for 3 hours of songs. 
I have both 80s sound libraries and have not used up a third of my Performance Mode- User 1 Banks.

It took a lot of home time to program and pick and choose the voices and performances I needed but with my newbie level of skills in programming and tweaking, I am more than satisfied and happy with either one of these boards to gig with together or individually. I have stored in User 1, Bank A and Bank B performances in each board so that is 64 different voice layers/ splits.

As far as roadworthy, I can attest for both moxf 6 and 8 have not given me any trouble in the 200 plus gigs I have used them.

Hope this newbie answer helps!!

Good Luck
Spencermtk

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 06:01 PM
Spencermtk
Total Posts:  10
Joined  01-16-2014

And Yes very easy to recall each performance and you can name each performance as you wish...... I have Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, born in USA as performance names.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 06:29 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

The main reason I went for a MOX and then MOXF8 is because of their really light weight.

After lugging around an S90 ES and Motif XS, my muscles are now good for playing rather than aching after carrying all of that.

You know the kind of silly locations people want you to play; stages that can only be reached by amphibious all-terrain vehicles, when the tide is right on the last Tuesday of lent in a leap year. 

I got to keep most of my favourite sounds and literally lost a lot of weight, but put some on through not “working out with my Yamahas” any more.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 08:28 PM
SSquared
Total Posts:  165
Joined  01-29-2014

You can name your voice/performance.  Your Performances can contain splits and layers which you will need to prepare in advance.  You will need to create separate performances for all of your splits/layers.  I think there are a total of 256 Performance slots or you can also use the Masters which has 128 slots.  The most difficult part (which is mainly just time consuming) is prepping your board with the patches.  Once that’s done, calling them up is easy.

As for gigging, the MOXF6 is great.  I’ve had mine since February last year and practice/play about every other week.  Portability and weight were very important to me and it simply shines in those areas.  I had been using two keyboards, a 4-slot rackmount box, a mixer and double keyboard stand and the MOXF6 has replaced all that.  Before, I had to pack up my car 15-20 minutes before I needed to leave, then set it all back up.  Now I simply grab the MOXF6 when it’s time to go and setup takes almost no time.

But you need to decide the tradeoffs.  Do you like the sounds?  Have you tried playing one?  Are you OK having 61 keys?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 01:55 PM
pomodei
Total Posts:  53
Joined  12-31-2013

My MOX6 is very nice to play live: I play in two tribute bands (Eagles and Rolling Stones). Light weight but powerful synth engine (the same of XS and XF).

Probably I’ll “upgrade” to MOXF.

And, consider that Yamaha MOX (and Motif) users have this awesome site “motifator” to give you all the info and hints you need!!

Go, and buy your MOXF!

Pino, Italy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 07:12 PM
Halion76
Total Posts:  63
Joined  03-13-2015

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

I should have made it clear in my first post, I actually own a MOX6......and I just bought a MOXF6 yesterday!!

[ Ignore ]