mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "xs display backlight defect?"

Page 3 of 4
Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 01:34 PM
muzikoloog
Total Posts:  25
Joined  01-15-2003

hi,

If you could only see the smile on my face.

The original screen of the xs is a kyocera G88 screen. Like i said, the screen i ordered is the kyocera G77 screen. I do not have specs for the G88 original screen, so i can’t compare specs.

The G77 screen has a extra connector, because it can be used as a touch screen. I simply did not connect this feature and the display works fine.

The colors are brighter and more sparkling. Overall it looks much fresher then the original screen. It’s difficult to explain the differences but it’s a better screen for sure. Maybe a newer generation? On the kyocera site the G88 screen can’t be found. So once again no specs of the original screen.

It’s a tough job to exchange the screen, because the xs has to be dissasembled quite a lot. So i would only advise anybody to do this if your original screen is defect.

My advise also is to not exchange the ccfl tube for the original screen. It can be done and i did it, but this is difficult because the screen was not meant to be opened. The possibility of damaging the screen or getting it contaminated with dust and that sort of things is very likely. So the result of all the effort of fixing a screen could be dissapointing.

I’m a happy man..............

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 01:41 PM
muzikoloog
Joined  01-15-2003

to crocAUS.

The brightness issue was the result of a connector problem. I believe that it was not connected firmly, because when i took all the connectors of and then reconnected all connectors everything was fine.

Greetings Mark.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 02:10 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muzikoloog - 09 January 2011 01:34 PM

hi,

If you could only see the smile on my face.

I can just imagine!

The original screen of the xs is a kyocera G88 screen. Like i said, the screen i ordered is the kyocera G77 screen. I do not have specs for the G88 original screen, so i can’t compare specs.

See this thread for the specs of the original:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/member/profile/viewthread/445802/
Note that the vertical viewing angle of the G88 is only 55 degrees (-35 to +20), much less than the G77. The G88’s contrast ratio is 55:1, while the G77 is slightly better at 60:1. The G88’s response time is 350ms, while the G77 is slightly slower at 450ms—however, we’re not watching full motion video on the screen, so the additional 100ms isn’t that big a deal.

My advise also is to not exchange the ccfl tube for the original screen. It can be done and i did it, but this is difficult because the screen was not meant to be opened. The possibility of damaging the screen or getting it contaminated with dust and that sort of things is very likely. So the result of all the effort of fixing a screen could be dissapointing.

Yes, changing the CCFL lamp can be challenging. Dust, etc, can be a problem, and proper positioning of the new lamp is important so that lighting is even over the entire screen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 03:24 PM
muzikoloog
Joined  01-15-2003

a picture of the G77 screen in my xs.

Thanks for the heads up on the specs 5pindin.

Greetings Mark.

Image Attachments
DSC02127.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 03:26 PM
muzikoloog
Joined  01-15-2003

Picture in a angle of the g77 screen. The camera was almost positioned on the xs.

Image Attachments
DSC02112.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 03:27 PM
muzikoloog
Joined  01-15-2003

and another one.

greetings Mark.

Image Attachments
DSC02129.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2011 @ 04:12 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Thanks for the pictures. The display looks good, and of course it’s difficult to capture it accurately—it probably looks even better than the photos represent.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2011 @ 01:50 AM
Reggmail
Total Posts:  92
Joined  02-06-2003

muzikoloog Congrats on your repair.

It looks great, much brighter and better contrast even from the photo.
It would be nice to have an external monitor display port for other video monitoring from the XS wouldn’t it?
Thanks for giving us the heads up and keeping us informed and what to expect if our Motif XS screen blacks out on us.
Peace & blessings.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 08:29 AM
GatesOfDelirium
Total Posts:  41
Joined  10-27-2003

Does anyone know the part number for the image posted in this thread
ccfl inverter
The part at CN202 has broken off from the solder and the display no longer works.
Any idea of cost ? Is it worth it

Kind regards
Gates

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 09:42 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
GatesOfDelirium - 01 April 2015 08:29 AM

Does anyone know the part number for the image posted in this thread
ccfl inverter
The part at CN202 has broken off from the solder and the display no longer works.
Any idea of cost ? Is it worth it

Which image?

Presuming you’re referring to the JKAN-LC board (see attachment)…

Part# WG978100
Description CIRCUIT BOARD JKAN-LC MOTIF XS6/7/8
Price $135.84US plus shipping charges

Image Attachments
JKAN-LC.gif
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 10:35 AM
GatesOfDelirium
Total Posts:  41
Joined  10-27-2003

Thank you so much yes that’s the one

Kind regards
Gates

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2015 @ 11:55 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
GatesOfDelirium - 01 April 2015 10:35 AM

Thank you so much yes that’s the one

Kind regards
Gates

You’re welcome.

By the way, it might be possible to repair the board by resoldering the connector,
if no printed circuit foils are damaged.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2015 @ 10:11 PM
rachafe9
Total Posts:  5
Joined  04-02-2015

Hey guys.  I need some help with a xs8 that has a dark display.  I assumed it was the display / display control pcb so ordered a replacement from Yamaha.  Just installed and no change.  On further inspection I’m thinking it might be the backlight instead.  What DC voltage should I expect to measure going in and out of the inverter pcb?  I took a quick measurement of the input and it was steady @ 5VDC.  Thanks in advance for your time and help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2015 @ 05:22 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
rachafe9 - 02 April 2015 10:11 PM

Hey guys.  I need some help with a xs8 that has a dark display.  I assumed it was the display / display control pcb so ordered a replacement from Yamaha.  Just installed and no change.  On further inspection I’m thinking it might be the backlight instead.  What DC voltage should I expect to measure going in and out of the inverter pcb?  I took a quick measurement of the input and it was steady @ 5VDC.  Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Welcome to the forum.

The supply for the inverter is indeed 5 volts. (The LCD panel runs on 3.3 volts.) CCFL output of the inverter is several hundred volts of high frequency AC at just a few milliamps, and not easy to measure. However, if you changed the JKAN-LC board and the display is still dim or out, it’s unlikely that the lamp voltage is an issue.

By “dark display”, do you mean no illumination, or is it just insufficient? The CCFL backlight has a rated life of about 60,000 hours, but of course that’s an average, and if the synth was left on continuously for long periods, that time could have been reached anyway. CCFLs will dim at end of life, and often turn somewhat reddish-orange before failing altogether.

Does turning the LCD CONTRAST control on the rear panel of the XS make a difference? If that control is turned through its full range, the contrast voltage to the LCD should vary from about 0.9 ~ 2.5 VDC. On JKAN-LC, it can be measured at pin 13 of CN202, or pin 7 of CN203.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2015 @ 01:02 PM
rachafe9
Total Posts:  5
Joined  04-02-2015

5pindin,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I feel like an idiot posting this but it ended up being a bad contrast pot.  The backing had come completely off so basically the contrast was all the way up all the time.  Goes to show check the obvious just in case.  Thanks again for your help, Rob

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 4