mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to send MIDI Data without playing it on the Motif?"

Posted on: March 30, 2015 @ 12:56 PM
RichS
Total Posts:  45
Joined  11-30-2013

Recently I added a Moog Sub 37 to my setup.  My Motif XF6 has several songs, some of which I’d like tracks to play on the Moog.

For example I want the MIDI data on track 4 (the MIDI channel the Moog is set to) to play on the Moog.  I have accomplished this successfully.  I don’t, however, want the voice on the Motif’s track 4 to play.  I only want to hear the Moog.

I’ve adjusted the volume of track 4 to zero but you can still hear the instrument a tiny bit.  If I Mute the track the MIDI data stops sending to the Moog.

I suppose I could just choose a whisper quiet instrument but it’d be more convenient to leave the one already assigned present as I might want to hear the original Motif version without the Moog.  If the mood takes me.

Is there a way to shut off the voice and just send the MIDI with some sort of easy toggle or should I just suck it up and not listen to track 4 by itself on the Motif by turning down the Moog’s volume.

Oh… and I don’t want to sample the Moog into the Motif.  The thing is just way too much fun to play!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2015 @ 01:23 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005

Yes this is easily done.

From the main screen in pattern or song mode just push the F3 ‘Track’ button.  Then on the far right side of the screen select ONLY the ‘ext’ option.  This tells the motif sequencer to send the midi data out of the keyboard to an external sound source.  The ‘int’ option tell the sequencer to send to the internal sound generator.  So if you want to hear sound from both places make sure both ‘int’ and ‘ext’ are selected.  But if you only need one or the other just select one.  Both options are selected by default.  (It doesn’t hurt anything to leave the both options selected as long as you don’t have the unit connected to something via midi that you don’t want to generate any sound.

I hope this helps

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 09:43 AM
RichS
Total Posts:  45
Joined  11-30-2013

Thanks so much!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2015 @ 05:37 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I just wanted to add that when recording you must have INT selected, if only EXT is selected nothing is recorded. This is a quirk of the Motif sequencers, my ES did this too.

I created a user voice I called Silence and I simply set all elements to OFF so there is no sound (the rest of the voice parameters do not matter at all). I have this in the first user location so when the XF boots it’s always ready to use with my external hardware or playing softsynths.

After recording a track with Silence as the internal voice, I then deselect INT as mentioned in the previous post.

For those wondering why you would ever want both INT and EXT selected: you can layer a Motif voice with an external synth.

[ Ignore ]