mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Arpeggios with ES and XS designations"

Posted on: March 27, 2015 @ 02:12 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I notice that the arpeggios with the extra extensions are the ones that make the sound really bad when you turn off the Arp and play the Performance with just the Parts. Is there a way to convert those Arps into “normal” arps? If I record them and then convert to a User Arp will those aspects get lost anyway? (And just what is going on with them to do what they do?) Are those Arps even able to be turn into User Arps? Those special articulations sound great in Arp On mode, but really make everything sound funky when you turn off the Arp, which I tend to do at song endings.

On that subject, if I want to have Arp 6 simply “mark time” (to avoid having to turn off Arp and get result described above) what is quickest way to do that. Are there “silent” Arps in each Category or ??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2015 @ 02:13 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Note: I would rather NOT have to use up an Arp for “silence” but it seems like the only work around so far. Other suggestions welcome!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 12:10 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

[EDITED: Deleted as was posted “too early”; see next post]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 12:34 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
muscarella - 27 March 2015 02:12 PM

I notice that the arpeggios with the extra extensions are the ones that make the sound really bad when you turn off the Arp and play the Performance with just the Parts.

Depends on how the _ES and _XS arpeggio types are being used.

For instance, “Dark Continent” - USER1:013 (A13) - uses all _XS arpeggios with the Drums & Bass defaulted to ARP ON, ARP HOLD.  Turn off Part 2 (Dark Bass) and play it.  Nice.

However, if you are using an _XS arpeggio associated with a bass or guitar megavoice - e.g. “Wild Heart USER2:125 (H13) - and you try to play the bass and guitar VOICE with APR OFF, meh.  All megavoices should to be used with ARP ON!

If you’d like to explore how the PERFORMANCE designers put together PERFORMANCES, I’ve included as an attachment an Excel workbook with a worksheet - the MOX PERFORMANCE (PROTOTYPE) worksheet - with many PERFORMANCES with detailed arpeggios info; all PERFORMANCES for the MOX are listed, however, I haven’t “filled in the blanks” on many of them yet (end of 2015?). 

Also, there are two worksheets - MOX and MOXF Arpeggios - where the arpeggios are organized by “Style”.

Note that you can use the free Excel Viewer to review them; don’t know how Google OpenOffice sees them.

...And just what is going on with them to do what they do?…

Here are two articles that dive deep into arpeggios:

Arpeggios Explored - Part 1

Arpeggios Explained Part 2 Sort+Direct

From the Part 1 article: “The “ES Type” plays a specific riff and follows the area (region) of the keyboard of the trigger notes. So you can control what region of the keyboard the arpeggio riff is sounding.” (Wherever you play, the arpeggios works from the single key or the root of the chord you play - you play a C Major Triad at C3, the arpeggios will sound in the region around C3 (the “region of the keyboard” you are playing in).

“The “XS Type” plays a specific riff - always sounding in a specific range of notes. The “ES Type” could be used anywhere up and down the keyboard and the phrase would follow with high and low pitches… while the “XS Type” plays a riff ‘where it belongs’, even if the trigger notes are not specifically involved in the phrase, (Suppose you have a bass _XS arpeggio assigned to a bass VOICE and you play a C Major chord anywhere on the keyboard in whatever inversion, the _XS arpeggio might anchor the root of its C Major bass line in the E1 to D#2 region of the keyboard.)

...On that subject, if I want to have Arp 6 simply “mark time” (to avoid having to turn off Arp and get result described above) what is quickest way to do that. Are there “silent” Arps in each Category or ??…

Here’s a thread with an attachment demonstrating how to use a “a silent ARP” (Mute 4/4)

File Attachments
MOX Explorer (Beta).zip  (File Size: 2281KB - Downloads: 248)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 11:11 AM
bgrosse
Total Posts:  465
Joined  07-06-2009

jazz.preest,

Thank you for the MOX Explorer file.

That is a monumental amount of work and very much appreciated.

All the best,

Bill G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 01:23 PM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
bgrosse - 25 May 2015 11:11 AM

Thank you for the MOX Explorer file…
Bill G

Bill, you are very welcome.  You were very generous with your time helping me make the decision “MOX vs PSR-950” two years back (via the PSRTutorial Forum); very helpful and appreciated.

That discussion was a significant contributing factor to the decision to choose the MOX for its flexibility.

FYI, over that past two years, I have organized the MOX workspace to support music composition and arrangement similar to how a “arranger workstation” does (e.g. Yamaha Tyros/PSR, Korg Pa3X)

My MOX LCD Menu space has two sets of labels related to the PERFORMANCE and PATTERN modes.

1. In the curved space below the LCD menu, the labels are aligned with the ARP [SF] keys to organize how I produce PERFORMANCES that result in Rock, Pop, R&B;, Hip Hop, Latin patterns/songs:
- Hook (ARP1), Verse1 (ARP2), Chorus (ARP3), Verse2 (ARP4), Pre-Chorus (ARP5), Bridge (ARP6)

2. In the space above the LCD menu, the labels are aligned with the ARP keys to organize how I produce PERFORMANCES that result in Electronic Dance Music patterns/songs:
- Build (ARP1), Breakdown1 (ARP2), Drop1 (ARP3), Breakdown2 (ARP4), Anthem Drop (ARP5), Break (ARP6)

These PERFORMANCES are stored to the User Banks based on genre.  Currently, my A-H buttons are labeled:

A: Rock/Pop
B: R&B;
C: Hip Hop
D: Trance
E: Chill
F: Techno
G: EDM Other (Breakbeat, Drum’n’Bass, Dubstep, House)
H: FX

I use the PERFORMANCE USER1 Bank as my reference bank (MOX Performances, MOX Arpeggio Styles, Deconstructed “Top 10")

I use the PERFORMANCE USER2 as a workspace to shape the PERFORMANCES, explore in the PERFORMANCE DIRECT-to-SONG recording mode, transfer to Cubase, organize into Song Structure (adding Fills, Intros, Outros, whatever) then moving back into MOX song and split into PATTERNS to further explore (e.g. using REMIX for rhythmic variations)...and so on.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2015 @ 02:49 PM
bgrosse
Total Posts:  465
Joined  07-06-2009

jazz.p,

That is a great organization for this keyboard.

How about sending a pic of your setup?

I have been debating whether to swap for the MOXF, but I still really like the MOX and I’m just used to it.

I’m glad you went for the MOX because you have done so much with it and it looks like you are really organized in your approach to getting the most out of it.

BTW - you can take parts of the PSR styles and make use of them on the MOX as MIDI files and even generate some ARP’s too as they are in either CMaj or Cmin.

Bill G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2015 @ 11:47 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I would also be interested in seeing how you’ve labelled and programmed things for arranging.  Anyway, I’m always curious to see how people are using the MOX, cause it’s pretty deep.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2015 @ 11:58 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Back to my OP.  So any arp using Megavoices can’t be re-made in some way to be a “normal” arp. And any Performance with a Megavoice part is going to sound funny/wrong at end of song when I just want to play a final chord with arp off?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2015 @ 01:05 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
bgrosse - 25 May 2015 02:49 PM

How about sending a pic of your setup?

Apologies for late reply; have been globetrotting to support project go-live…

Re pics,I’ve just cut-up post-it notes into small labels (very fancy)...took pics; very embarrassing ;)

Here’s a dropbox link to how I am currently labelling the Performance Banks using a snapshot of the MOX Owner Manual diagram
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x139pkih6s4sqd/IMG-MOX2.jpg?dl=0

Same idea for labeling the ARPS as mentioned in the earlier post.

A few notes
- As time has permitted, over the past year or so, I have been surveying the genres and song structures as outlined in my last post on this thread.
- During my recent business trip, I read and re-read Rick Snowman’s “Dance Music Manual (Third Edition") and have decided to concentrate on organizing the MOX to exercise his EDM genre analysis approach and supporting tools/techniques (e.g. Mixing Structure, Composing Drum Loops, Sound Design, Song Structure, ...) for the next six months or so (subgenre a month?)
- I’ll relabel the first six Performance Banks in the order of his genre analysis chapters, i.e. Trance, Dubstep, Ambient/Chill Out, Drum’n’Bass, House, Techno.  I’ll add Other (e.g. root influences) as the seventh and, finally, FX as the last bank (to highlight typical EDM production techniques)

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2015 @ 01:59 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
muscarella - 18 June 2015 11:58 PM

So any arp using Megavoices can’t be re-made in some way to be a “normal” arp.

Not quite; it’s more any Megavoice shouldn’t be used with any arp other than a related megavoice arpeggio, e.g. Megavoice guitar with a guitar megavoice arpeggios (type GtMg) and most GtMg arpeggios don’t work well with non-megavoice guitar voices.

For instance, explore the default MOX Performance “Free Fall” [USR1:045(C13)].  This performance uses bass and guitar megavoices with arpeggios designed to play megavoices.

Try this:

1. Select Free Fall
2. Press the Voice function button and cursor down to Part 3 (the Mega Steel guitar)
3. Press the Category Search
4. While the phrase (ARP1) is playing, scroll down to “GM B09 Nylon Guitar” and listen to how the arpeggio realizes this voice.

Well, if you like it, you’re probably “avante garde” ;)

5. Still in Category Search, scroll up to the guitar megavoices - better, right? 

That’s because the GtMg type arpeggio is designed for guitar megavoices.

Now, try this:

1. Select Free Fall default again
2. Press the [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] button
3. Press the [PART 3] Button (third button from the left of the top row)
4. Press the ARP Edit button
5. Press the [TYPE] function button
6. Dial the GtMg arp category to the GtPl category arp.

Kind of works; the arp supports a simple guitar strum, but not nearly with the presence and complexity of using a GtMg category Arp.

And any Performance with a Megavoice part is going to sound funny/wrong at end of song when I just want to play a final chord with arp off?

My guess?  99% of the time.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Gradual volume increase, how to program
Next Topic:

Crockett’s Theme ››