mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "The XS editor and cubase 8"

Posted on: March 21, 2015 @ 09:06 AM
Vindbaek
Total Posts:  176
Joined  02-21-2009

Now - with the latest update in Cubase 8 pro 8.0.1 - the XS- editor works. You have to open cubase in 32 bit mode. It works fine :)

In Cubase 8 there is a function called Render in place. I was trying to use that function with the vst editor - but that is not possible - or how?

It says that rendering must be done in realtime.....

How can I do that?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2015 @ 05:06 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

This may help:

Render In Place tutorial

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2015 @ 10:58 PM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

Sorry if i wasn’t very clear. Render works fine with the “normal” vst-instruments in cubase 8 but if you try to render in place with a track from the xs vst editor it says: Rendering must be done in realtime.
If i then click ok - the new audio tracks under the xs editor track is just empty.
What is ment by “rendering must be done in realtime” and how can i do that if i want to render the xs-vst tracks?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 04:18 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Real time means that the rendering is done in the same amount of time as the duration of one complete play through of your music. Literally during that play through.

The opposite of real time is rendering offline which is an option for any sounds that are generated from within Cubase itself, such as virtual synths/plug ins and audio tracks. 

Offline rendering is usually several times faster than real time, making it especially convenient.  They may not actually call it offline rendering, but that’s what it is.

The audio from your XS is external and sounded by MIDI data sent from your computer to the XS in real time, so it follows that you cannot render it any quicker than real time.

Your empty tracks are very likely because you are not considering that the audio comes from the XS itself and not the editor plug in, or you are not routing the audio correctly.  You didn’t say how everything is connected, so that part is anyone’s guess.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 08:47 PM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

Thanks - yes - i have the editor set on “record on pc” so not local on xs. I hear sound from the xs and i can record tracks and hear them thru my firewire sound card in the xs. So its the default setup using cubase 8 with the xs editor. There is also a template for this in cubase.

Ok here is what i was ekspecting: when i choose render in place with the xs track it says “rendering wil have to be done in Real time” ..... and I then click ok - and cubase then automaticly play through the hole rendering track (in Real time) and place an audio file under that track, just like if I go to export and export the track, but that is not happening ......

If i export a track with the xs editor used, cubase plays through the track in realtime - not like if it was internal vst’s but the same is not happening rendering a track where the xs is used.

I dont know how i should set it up?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2015 @ 09:49 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

It’s a very difficult problem to diagnose simply because you don’t mention any specifics at all and certainly not about any settings.

You say you can record tracks and hear them through your firewire sound card, but that’s exactly what you are trying to do rendering in real time. 

If you’re relying on a template that you don’t understand the workings of and you run into a problem, you literally have nowhere to go because you cannot trace back your steps, because they weren’t made by you. 

If I were to guess, I’d say your routing is incorrect, but that’s straight from the Motifator diagnostics Ouija board.

If it were me, I’d set up a blank project in Cubase and leave the template and Editor out of it for the moment.  Then work on routing audio and recording it until you have it polished. Then you might be able to further understand the template and the various options that the editor affords you.  I appreciate this post is rather presumptuous but you are saying that you don’t know how you should set it up.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2015 @ 08:58 AM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_easydiscuss&view=post&id=1244&Itemid=851

ok not simple!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2015 @ 09:49 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That’s a link to a problem with the MOXF editor, not the XS editor.  Your problem is not the same and you do not mention any kind of early playback either.

Further down that thread Bad_Mister says “A blank result when Render means your MOXF is not set properly to return audio to Cubase.”

Which is basically what I’ve said to you in that your audio routing is probably incorrect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2015 @ 10:09 AM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

Thanks but it dosn´t help realy help. I know the problem is about audiorouting, but thats not very specific, is it? Actually: The XS editor returns audio into cubase just fine! Otherwise how would it then be possible to export the editortracks as audio in cubase? It works fine when I export the editortrack as audio! I can also just solo the XSeditor track and export it as audio into the project.

Please, sorry, - it´s not about you beeing incorrect, but im just saying that it´s complicated and I don´t know how to set up the render in place function with the xs editor - IF it can be done. Maybe someone tryed that with the XS or the XF editor and im just interested in knowing if it can be done or not. Looks like it can be done with the MOXF editor, so anyone tryed with the XS editor?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2015 @ 10:18 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I’d say that helps perfectly, you’ve even heard it from Bad mister now.

Just because you can hear things and even export them, does not mean the audio is going exactly where you need it to go to do what you want.

Please can you explain the routing decisions you’ve made and how you know for sure that audio is being successfully routed to Cubase?

Can you start at the XS itself and explain what parts have been assigned to which FW outputs? etc.  Then do the same about how that audio is brought into Cubase.

As for me being incorrect, I haven’t really offered up a solution to be incorrect about, yet.  You’ve given us such a limited amount of information, so much so, that I couldn’t possibly say what the problem actually is.

The routing is a great place to start though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2015 @ 01:07 AM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

It works fine now!
Also in 64 bit mode!
Thanks.

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_easydiscuss&view=post&id=1955&Itemid=851

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2015 @ 09:54 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

It works for you now because Bad_Mister has very kindly shown you how to route audio and connect everything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2015 @ 03:06 AM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

Yes and i have thankt him. Just .fy.i. I used the standard template in cubase for motif xs 7 with vst editor. Somehow it just worked. It didn’t in my first try, so something must have been wrong, but just to let other users know: yes you can use the cubase 8 standard template with the vst-editor setup also if you wil use the render funktion.

[ Ignore ]