mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using Patterns in Live setting"

Posted on: March 25, 2015 @ 08:33 PM
amac7379
Total Posts:  5
Joined  03-21-2015

Anyone have a suggestion about how best to use the patterns I’ve created in a live setting.  I’m a church worship leader and was asked to put some background music together for a small event.  So I got these tracks put together and they sound really good but I’m also playing along with them and wondering is there an easy way to transition from pattern to pattern? Trying to eliminate dead space.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2015 @ 09:18 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005

Hats off on using your music ability in your church!!!  I do the same thing.

I use the motif pattern mode every week in church.  And a flat out cursor switch is the fastest way that I’m aware of as a means to switch from song to song.  You can do this in pattern mode itself or you can save each of the songs into individual master mode spots and switch from song to song there using either the normal inc/dec buttons, jog wheel, etc.... Or you can use the numbered buttons on the right side of your board to go direct to a specific (master).... Either way though I think you may have some slight dead space....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2015 @ 10:28 PM
amac7379
Total Posts:  5
Joined  03-21-2015
Apex - 25 March 2015 09:18 PM

Hats off on using your music ability in your church!!!  I do the same thing.

I use the motif pattern mode every week in church.  And a flat out cursor switch is the fastest way that I’m aware of as a means to switch from song to song.  You can do this in pattern mode itself or you can save each of the songs into individual master mode spots and switch from song to song there using either the normal inc/dec buttons, jog wheel, etc.... Or you can use the numbered buttons on the right side of your board to go direct to a specific (master).... Either way though I think you may have some slight dead space....

Thanks! I’m new to this machine but very excited about what I’m hearing so far.  I will attempt the master mode spots. sounds like the best approach.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 06:39 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011
amac7379 - 25 March 2015 08:33 PM

Anyone have a suggestion about how best to use the patterns I’ve created in a live setting.  I’m a church worship leader and was asked to put some background music together for a small event.  So I got these tracks put together and they sound really good but I’m also playing along with them and wondering is there an easy way to transition from pattern to pattern? Trying to eliminate dead space.

You might be able to store each song in a column or two of a single Pattern. Switching to a different column happens on bar boundaries with no dead space.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 06:46 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005
Michael Trigoboff - 04 April 2015 06:39 PM
amac7379 - 25 March 2015 08:33 PM

You might be able to store each song in a column or two of a single Pattern. Switching to a different column happens on bar boundaries with no dead space.

yes but unless the songs use the same sounds AND are the same tempo… this could get kinda confusing…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 08:39 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
Apex - 04 April 2015 06:46 PM

yes but unless the songs use the same sounds AND are the same tempo… this could get kinda confusing…

You have up to 16 Voices in a Pattern. Various combinations of them could be used for each song-in-a-column.

I think you’re right that they would all have to be the same tempo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 09:07 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Depending on how varied your instrumentation needs to be, you might also want to think about using Pattern Sections. There’d be no dead space whatsoever and, unless you have a major arrangement, you should be able to create a still varied tone palette across 16 tracks.

Your only ‘limiting’ factor would be tempo, which would default to the same for all Sections, though you could of course manually bump this up or down fairly easily and quickly if you needed to. People do often fret over the ‘gap factor’ of switching Patterns but unless your music is literally seamlessly joined together a 1-second gap shouldn’t ruin the vibe.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2015 @ 10:00 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005
MrMotif - 04 April 2015 09:07 PM

Depending on how varied your instrumentation needs to be, you might also want to think about using Pattern Sections. There’d be no dead space whatsoever and, unless you have a major arrangement, you should be able to create a still varied tone palette across 16 tracks.

Your only ‘limiting’ factor would be tempo, which would default to the same for all Sections, though you could of course manually bump this up or down fairly easily and quickly if you needed to. People do often fret over the ‘gap factor’ of switching Patterns but unless your music is literally seamlessly joined together a 1-second gap shouldn’t ruin the vibe.

in that case then he could just switch to the next pattern in the sequencer though....

but I am a little curious as to what exactly you mean by using pattern sections…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2015 @ 02:58 AM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
MrMotif - 04 April 2015 09:07 PM

Sections are what I meant by “columns.” I couldn’t remember the exact term…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2015 @ 07:06 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I’m going to jump on this thread, since my questions and concerns are similar. i.e. coming up with the “best” (fastest, error-proof) way to move quickly from song to song in my live set. If my eyesight was better, I could probably accomplish everything by assigning every song (whether its a Perf or Pattern or Song, as I use all three methods) to a Master, which I already do. But without a big read-out (I have an MOX) I can’t see much on the LED until I actually start punching buttons. Other than having things in alphabetical order and categories, I feel like I’ve reached and impasse of sorts and may just have to resort to a cheat sheet.

In some cases, I think having Songs lined up in a Chain would do the trick. Like when I want to keep things moving along while people are still on the dance floor. Not the time to be fumbling around. Other than Chain, I’m wondering if simply assigning a Song to each of the 16 Sections (in Pattern mode) would be a method. 

Mainly, I appreciate hearing how others are dealing with the challenges that are unique to a “live” gig situation. For instance, I’ve struggled with (and complained about on this forum) the limitations of the sequencer memory. I realize many “live” players are using a set list, but I like having access to everything throughout the night. My solution for now is to have an “early” All file and a “late” All file, which are almost identical, except for a half dozen songs I’ve designated for first set ONLY or late set ONLY.  In between sets I may move a song into the next All file, cause I haven’t played it yet. (Which doesn’t always work because the sequencer memory remains maxed out.) And when you start shifting stuff around, rushing between sets, all those carefully laid out Master assignments can get messed up. I keep my Performances intact between early/late All files so my Master assignments will still work.

Anyway, appreciate hearing from others playing live with MOX, and to hear your solutions, work-arounds, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2015 @ 03:08 AM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005

When using master assignments, can’t you use the numeric keys to select a master?  That way you don’t have to use the screen and jog wheel?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2015 @ 11:41 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Yes. And thats what I do. Problem is I can’t see the led screen that comes up with all the masters listed in that bank. If that screen was larger or my eyesite was better....! On MOX you can’t see larger print till u start tapping individual buttons.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2015 @ 01:18 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005

Just write them on paper or have someone do it for you then you won’t have to use the screen at all.  There is also a setlist app for iPad that may help you… It’s made by yamaha

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha and Motif Series
Next Topic:

Cutting off a sound completely ››