mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Editor VST"

Posted on: March 03, 2015 @ 06:46 PM
Lee Batchelor
Total Posts:  486
Joined  12-16-2003

Hi all,
At one time, I was able to record MOX8 MIDI and audio to Cubase AI5. It’s been a while now and I want to get back to some projects.
My main issue is getting the Editor VST to be displayed when I start a new project. I thought at one time, I could double-click a desktop shortcut and have the Editor VST appear. I could then run Cubase AI5 and record to my heart’s content. The desktop shortcut is gone, and when I start Cubase AI5, set everything up the way Phil’s articles read, the Editor VST is not there. What the heck am I doing wrong? The following programs are displayed in my Control Panel:
- Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver
- Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 Remote Tools
- Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 Editor Standalone/VST
- Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver
I also remember setting up that rather long procedure in the Editor VST so my MOX8 would communicate with Cubase. So, it used to work!!
Many thanks.
- Lee

(Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 02:27 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

If you had a shortcut on your desktop to the editor, then it was likely that you were using the standalone version all along.

if you have the standalone version installed currently, then you can easily just make another short cut for it and put it on your desktop.

The VST plug in version of the editor will run inside Cubase itself and won’t have a shortcut on the desktop, so you do not need to use the standalone version if you choose to use the VST plug in. 

They are the same thing and the standalone is more useful for people with DAWs that do not run VST plug ins, or have no DAW at all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 04:46 PM
Lee Batchelor
Joined  12-16-2003

Thanks for chiming in, Philwoodmusic.

That’s what I thought too. My MOX6_MOX8 Remote Editor resides in my C:\Program Files\Yamaha folder. The file names shown are:
> MOX6_MOX8 Remote Editor.exe
> vif_mox6_mox8_x64.exe

When I click the first one, I get what is shown in Capture 1. When I click the second one, I get a brief flash, which I cannot identify. Any further ideas about what I’m doing wrong are most appreciated. One other thing--I also have Cakewalk Sonar installed. Could it be messing with something important?

Thanks

- Lee

Image Attachments
Capture 1.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 09:23 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You’re needlessly using the standalone editor when you have Cubase, which runs VST plug ins, so you can use the VST version of the editor inside Cubase as a VST Instrument.

vif_mox6_mox8_x64.exe is the VST version.

Here is a really useful guide:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_cubase_and_the_editor_vst

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 09:45 PM
Lee Batchelor
Joined  12-16-2003

Thanks Phil. (May I call you Phil?)

I did try those exact instructions and got to the point where the Editor VST was supposed to be displayed, but it never happened. As mentioned earlier, I decided to uninstall Sonar Cakewalk. I also purged all registry entries to do with Sonar. It probably doesn’t matter, however, I figure if I can’t figure out why it isn’t working, then eliminate things that may prevent the Editor VST from appearing when it’s supposed to.

I’ll report back after going through the article again. Thanks for your kind support and patience.

- Lee

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 10:07 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Phil is fine...thanks.

Do any other VST plug ins display in Cubase?

Are you sure you have the most up to date editor version for your OS or for that version of Cubase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 09:22 PM
Lee Batchelor
Joined  12-16-2003

Hi Phil,
I was busy the past day or so and couldn’t get back to my MOX8. I seem to have a bunch of plugins available as seen in the attached screen shot. I’m still not seeing the Editor VST.

As I see it, every bit of information about recording in Cubase is written to an expert audience. I am a technical writer and technical writing instructor, and have yet to see any documentation that speaks to a completely entry-level audience. Even Phil’s wonderful posts (the other Phil--Bad_Mister) assume a mid-range level of knowledge. Can you point me to a Cubase “for morons” style article, complete with a glossary of terms? The endless menus and selections within Cubase are mind boggling to us who know very little about the new MIDI recording technique.

On a brighter note and perhaps somewhat contradictory, I do have thousands of hours of MIDI recording experience using the old Voyetra Sequencer Plus program; DOS based. So I’m not totally unfamiliar with MIDI recording, however, that was back in the days of a one bank of 100 instruments, no plugins, no VSTs (whatever the heck they are???), and no effects.

So, I’m at your mercy. How the blazes do I get this program up and running. I thought since Bill Gates wasn’t involved, it would be smooth. (Don’t even get me started on his crappy bloatware!!). Your thoughts and guidance are much appreciated. There, I feel much better :)

- Lee

Image Attachments
Cubase Plugins.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 09:56 PM
Lee Batchelor
Joined  12-16-2003

More information....

I’m going through the information contained here: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_cubase_and_the_editor_vst

It reads, “You will be asked if you want to create a MIDI Track assigned to this VST device… Create it. The track’s MIDI OUT will be assigned to the 1-MOX6/MOX8 VST (as opposed to the MOX6/MOX8-1)”

I’m not seeing “1-MOX6/MOX8 VST”. Instead the track output reads, “1-MOX6/MOX8 VST (no audio).”

In my Windows Control Panel-->Sound, it reads “Line-Steinberg CI1 Ready” (I’m using the Steinberg CI1 interface). It also reads, “Line Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 Default Device” and there is a green and white check mark on this one. The Realtek Sound card that came with the computer is disabled.

More information as I get it. Thanks.

- Lee

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 10:29 PM
Lee Batchelor
Joined  12-16-2003

After I click VST Instruments, here is what I see (screen shot).

Isn’t this the point where I should be seeing the Editor VST? Instead, there is the 1 - MOX6/MOX8 VST window with a blank beige background. I still can’t even launch the standalone Editor either--not that I think I even found the correct file ::::(

This should not be that difficult. I’m starting to wonder if my Cubase AI5 is corrupted. I have nothing important on the go at the moment (obviously because the darn thing doesn’t work!). Perhaps I should uninstall, purge all registry entries of the word Cubase, and then re-install from scratch. My Windows 7 Pro OS is up to date. Help!!

Image Attachments
Add VST Instruments.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 11:01 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Something looks massively wrong there, because you’ve clearly managed to load up the VST version of the Editor.

What happens if you do the same with HALion? ...do you get an empty window?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 11:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Lee Batchelor - 06 March 2015 10:29 PM

[...]I’m starting to wonder if my Cubase AI5 is corrupted.[...]My Windows 7 Pro OS is up to date.

Which version of the Editor is installed?

The most recent version (for Windows) of the MOX Editor…
MOX6/MOX8 Editor Standalone / VST V1.6.3 for Windows:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/46500

Main Revisions and Enhancements
V1.6.0 -> V1.6.3
- Now supports Cubase 7.5.
- Now supports Windows 8.1.
- Now Cubase5 series are NONcompliant.
- Now Windows XP and Windows Vista are NONcompliant.
- Fixed some minor problems.

Although you can’t run it as VST in any Cubase 5 version (such as AI5), you can run v1.6.3 for Windows standalone.

See this thread for a means of obtaining v1.6.0 for Windows:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/474622/
I believe it’s compatible with Cubase AI5.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2015 @ 12:42 PM
Lee Batchelor
Joined  12-16-2003

Hi 5pindin,

Thanks for jumping in here. It works! It worked a year ago before I downloaded your suggested updates. I downloaded them anyway.

I got it to work by changing the way I opened a new project. All the instructions say to select Empty. I selected MOX6_MOX8 with VST editor (2StereoRecMode), set the destination folder, and then clicked Create. All of a sudden the Editor VST appeared! Problem solved. I have already recorded a five track sequence and performed some minor MIDI edits. Now that I have a demonstration sequence, I can learn all about MIDI editing in Cubase. It sure is easy with the Editor VST!!

One last question, if I may. There is a place on the Steinberg website that allows us to download Cubase AI7 for free. I used my eLicenser pass code but it only points me to Cubase AI6, which I still can’t download. There doesn’t seem to be a link to it either. Any ideas on how to download these are much appreciated. Perhaps I should do a MOX forum search?

Many thanks all!!

- Lee

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Trying to Learn It
Next Topic:

Get Audio Output From MIDI via Cubase with my MOX6 ››