mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Voice Library Loading Question"

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 09:30 PM
philipnoland@gmail.com
Total Posts:  1
Joined  03-04-2015

I recently purchased B’s Knees and Vintage Instruments. I keep trying to load them both, but I am finding one overwrites the other in the user2. I would love to load both libraries, but I just can’t figure out how to do that. I am successful with loading one but not both. Furthermore. I went to try and load just individual voices from B’s Knees and I only see other non-organ voices in the Voices Dir. I am very new to working with these files. Any help or guidance would a huge help. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 11:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

See Loading Voice data from the SmartMedia/USB storage device on page 87 of the ES Owner’s Manual, as well as File/Folder selection on page 268, and File types that can be loaded... on page 269.

If you don’t have the manual, a PDF copy can be downloaded:
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/motifese1.pdf

You might also find these threads helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/229525/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/231295/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/369457/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 02:45 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

Thank you for the links and I am aware of the files that can be loaded and such.

I am just curious if after working on my ES and all of the files are to large for one SMC, can I save the additional work to a second SMC and then load them separately.

I am particularly interested in loading additional sample based songs that won’t fit onto one SMC.

Let’s say I have all of my data and songs (which are also sample based} inside of the ES but extend the limitation of the 128mb of the SMC and they are songs 1, 2, 3, and 4, out of 8 songs loaded into my ES, can I save songs 5, 6, 7, and 8 onto a second SMC and then load the first SMC with the data and Songs 1 thru’ 4, and then put a second SMC and load song data only 5 thru’ 8.

Thanks,

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 09:50 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
KMKKEYS - 05 March 2015 02:45 PM

Thank you for the links and I am aware of the files that can be loaded and such.

I am just curious if after working on my ES and all of the files are to large for one SMC, can I save the additional work to a second SMC and then load them separately. I am particularly interested in loading additional sample based songs that won’t fit onto one SMC.

Let’s say I have all of my data and songs (which are also sample based} inside of the ES but extend the limitation of the 128mb of the SMC and they are songs 1, 2, 3, and 4, out of 8 songs loaded into my ES, can I save songs 5, 6, 7, and 8 onto a second SMC

Thanks for clarifying your question (originally at http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/474744/ , for those interested). Saving and loading are two different issues.

As stated on page 269 of the Owner’s Manual, you can save an “AllSong” file - as it says, “All the User Song data...” - or save an “All” file. However, with eight Songs in memory, there’s no way to direct the ES to save only Songs 1~4 to one card, and Songs 5~7 to another.

What you could do is have only four of your Songs in the ES sequencer (along with related samples), and save them to one card. Then with a different four Songs (and samples) in the ES, save them to another card…

KMKKEYS -

and then load the first SMC with the data and Songs 1 thru’ 4, and then put a second SMC and load song data only 5 thru’ 8.

...and then the first card could be loaded in entirety (as Type “All” or “AllSong”, depending on how they were saved), and the Songs on the second card loaded individually as Type “Song”. Of course, this assumes there’s sufficient DIMM memory for the samples, as you previously stated.

But why go through all that when a USB flash drive would be large enough for everything?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 01:53 AM
KMKKEYS
Joined  02-16-2009

5pinDIN,

Thank you for your prompt response.  This is the answer I was asking related to the loading of songs.

I think what you are saying is that I can load everything from the first SMC and then after playing the sequences that would fit into the DIMM memory, and then after take the second SMC and load an All Song File to use the remaining songs.  These songs are all basically sample based and are rather large.  This is why I posed the question.

I can use a USB thumb drive to accomplish this, however if I recall correctly, it is painfully slow and SMC are in this case faster.

Regardless, I will try saving whatever cannot be loaded from the first card and save it as an Song file, and load the in that manner.

I don’t care about the procedure, as long as I can get everything into my ES.

Of course, I could just get the XF and problem solved except for having to redo the sequences.

Thank you for your explanation.  It gives me a couple of ideas.

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 09:29 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
KMKKEYS - 06 March 2015 01:53 AM

[...]I can use a USB thumb drive to accomplish this, however if I recall correctly, it is painfully slow and SMC are in this case faster.

Regardless, I will try saving whatever cannot be loaded from the first card and save it as an Song file, and load the in that manner.

I don’t care about the procedure, as long as I can get everything into my ES.

Yes, SMC is faster than from USB. However, that’s offset by the additional time required to individually load each of the songs (with their samples) from the second card, manually select destination, etc.

You might want to try both methods, and see which works best for you.

KMKKEYS -

Thank you for your explanation.  It gives me a couple of ideas.

You’re welcome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2015 @ 11:23 AM
KMKKEYS
Joined  02-16-2009

Hey 5pinDIN,

Just wanted to say thank you again.  After some trial and error, you were right in regard to using a USB Flash Drive.  It is a little slow, (about a 10 minute load) I am able to load up my ES with everything I need.

I must at some point think about getting the Motif XF so that all my samples can reside onboard and I believe that can have instant access upon start-up.

I was just hoping that I could load my sounds and samples using two SMC as they are much faster. (in the ES anyway) You were right though.  By the time I loaded the songs and samples that are associated with them, I have surpassed the time it takes to put in a Flash Drive, select the all file and load away.

Thanks again,

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2015 @ 01:11 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
KMKKEYS - 20 March 2015 11:23 AM

Hey 5pinDIN,

Just wanted to say thank you again.  After some trial and error, you were right in regard to using a USB Flash Drive.  It is a little slow, (about a 10 minute load) I am able to load up my ES with everything I need.

You’re welcome. I’m glad the USB drive is doing what you need.

KMKKEYS -

I must at some point think about getting the Motif XF so that all my samples can reside onboard and I believe that can have instant access upon start-up.

There’s no question that an XF with even one optional 512 MB flash module can make things a lot more convenient. While it takes a bit of time to install the samples initially, once done the access is indeed “instant”.

When upgrading from an ES to an XF, there’s something to consider. The XF has no PLG board slots, so if your ES has those boards, you’d lose that capability.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2015 @ 02:41 PM
KMKKEYS
Joined  02-16-2009

Because of that reason, I will more than likely keep my ES and get an XF for convenience.  At this moment, I don’t have any PLG boards installed, although I have the Plg 150 VL, AN, and DX.

Not to mention, its paid for and doesn’t eat.  I had an XS at one time and kept the ES as it just seemed to have a fatter sound in my opinion.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Loading Songs with a second SMC
Next Topic:

mLan16e with Windows 8 ››