mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha Motif Master Mode Series Tutorials"

Posted on: March 03, 2015 @ 10:43 AM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005

I hope these videos help some guys out with Master Mode.  Some questions came up when I was talking to some guys recently and I decided to post videos with some information.  Please let me know if you have any questions or if there are any additional videos that you would like done.  Please like, subscribe, comment, and share!!!!  More videos to come!

Thanks

Yamaha Motif Master Mode Series Part 1

Yamaha Motif Master Mode Series Part 2

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2015 @ 12:52 PM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

you are so awesome dude.
thank you very much for making and sharing these.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2015 @ 01:10 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005

Just glad they will be of use!!!!  More to come!  Let me know If there is anything specific that you need.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2015 @ 08:41 PM
chasmanian
Total Posts:  319
Joined  01-27-2014

you so rock, man.
thank you so much.
how super generous of you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 12:15 AM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

Very kind of you.  Thank you for all your effort!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 12:22 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Nice job Apex. Your effort will be much appreciated by many for sure.
Thanks.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 01:13 AM
Verda Lumo
Total Posts:  54
Joined  05-24-2011

Very useful lesson! Thank You!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 01:17 AM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005

Please subscribe and like.  Many more videos are coming. B please let me know if there is anything specific that you are interested in learning about.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 01:51 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

First Apex, very helpful of you to make those videos.  Quite often a real-time video cuts through the potential confusion of the written word in describing how to achieve these sorts of things.

To sort of sum up, what you have illustrated in your videos (without trying to oversimplify) is the technique of using MASTER Mode to add additional sounds to a PERFORMANCE...in essence allowing the PERFORMANCE to have more than the requisite (4) PARTS maximum...and in the process providing the option of addressing either internal or external sounds by virtue of assigning discreet MIDI channel assignments to the “additional parts”, activating Zones, setting internal/external switches, and taking advantage of the unique MASTER Mode capability to address multiple MIDI channels simultaneously.

All good stuff, but I just wanted to address the content of the second video...which focused on the use of switching between Zone and non-Zone play to enable/disable addressing the (4) PARTS of the original PERFORMANCE individually...thus regaining some of the functionality (at least temporarily) of individual PART control while in a multi-zone enhanced PERFORMANCE MASTER.

Alternatively, consider moving the PERFORMANCE to a SONG or PATTERN MIXING prior to associating it with the MASTER.

This will preserve the original (4) PARTS of the PERFORMANCE intact.  However, this will additionally give you the ability to assign (4) different MIDI channels to the original (4) PERFORMANCE PARTS, activate up to (8) Zones total, and then use the remaining (4) Zones to additionally address either external sounds or internal sounds, per the switching setup.

What does this gain?

By taking your original PERFORMANCE into one of the Sequencer Modes (SONG or PATTERN) in this fashion...before going on to MASTER Mode...you will be able to retain the individual assignments of all (8) faders to all (8) sounds all the time...without going back and forth, which… as you rightly concluded...is required with a PERFORMANCE associated MASTER.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 03:30 AM
XsRs7K
Total Posts:  26
Joined  02-14-2009

thanks man!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 04:02 AM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005

Cmayhle

You are exactly right.  Lol that video (song and or pattern with mixing mode) is coming in a video later this week.  I wanted these two to marinate first and allow any questions to come forth before I moved on to the next concept.  But thanks for the beautiful introduction and breakdown of the videos!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 02:08 PM
cast1010
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-05-2010

Apex, thanks for the tutorials, they are very useful.

Master Mode is a very powerful beast and offers great flexibility but it can be confusing, your videos help in clearing that confusion.

Granted, the way you can use Master Mode very much depends on your gear and needs. I for example use Master Mode to make my Motif a master midi controller to use with Cubase Pro 8 (to manipulate VSTi).

I programmed 2 or 3 master modes (in master song mode) to have the same zone (all zone 1) but the knobs and faders control different CC numbers I configured. With this approach I play the keys to trigger my Cubase VSTi on midi channel 1 and depending on the VSTi I have active I control its parameters via CC from the faders and knobs.

The 3 master modes have different CC numbers on each fader (except CC11 and CC8) which repeat on each mode as I constantly use them.

With this approach, I can quickly swap between voice mode (or other non-master modes) if I want to use the Motif sounds in Cubase (recorded as audio or through the Motif VST, in both these cases I keep local control ON), but if I don’t want to trigger the Motif sound engine, I just press master on the Motif and now it works as a midi controller with local control off, all midi data is sent out...very handy in my workflow.

I truly wonder if this is the best approach, maybe you can expand on this in a future video.

Lastly as a suggestion (if you also use Cubase and VST quick controls), it would be great to see a tutorial going DEEP into “remote control” mode to control Cubase with your Motif. I know there are parameters withing remote control that allow you to use the knobs (not faders) to trigger the “quick controls” in Cubase. Unfortunately the faders only control the VST volume, so if you move a fader Cubase will automatically select and make that VST active, along with changing its volume according to the fader move. Works well for certain setups I can image, but not quite for mine. If you have a similar setup I think lots of people will benefit from a tutorial. Remote control is also very powerful, with many many layers that may make our workflow easier.

Big kudos for volunteering your time and knowledge to put these videos together.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2015 @ 04:01 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005

Thanks cast.  I will def consider expounding on the concept that you mentioned.  I will have to look into the remote mode feature a bit before I do a video.  I’ll see what I can do though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2015 @ 09:44 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005

does anyone have any other issues or things that they are trying to learn about… i’m working on a list of concepts that I want to do tutorial videos on and just wondering if there is anything that I should add to the list or move UP the priority list.

Thanks guys!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2015 @ 10:49 AM
joesax
Total Posts:  185
Joined  03-11-2009

Apex:

I wanted to thank you as well. The first video helped me a lot. That’s exactly what I wanted to do. I now have two Masters. Each has a Performance volume controlled by Fader #1 and the volume of my Ivory II Steinway on my iMac controlled by Fader #2. A Picture (Video) IS worth a thousand words.

Joe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2015 @ 01:09 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005
joesax - 08 March 2015 10:49 AM

Apex:

I wanted to thank you as well. The first video helped me a lot. That’s exactly what I wanted to do. I now have two Masters. Each has a Performance volume controlled by Fader #1 and the volume of my Ivory II Steinway on my iMac controlled by Fader #2. A Picture (Video) IS worth a thousand words.

Joe

Great man!!!!  I’m glad they helped.  Please subscribe and watch for more videos!  Again, I’m glad they helped.

[ Ignore ]